Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's the lowdown on budget road pedals ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-20, 05:08 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts

My trusty old LOOK pedals are getting pretty long in the tooth, and I figured I'd do a little research before it got down to crunch time. Back in the glory days of Pricepoint, Supergo, etc., when bike-part deals flowed like honey, I'd just grab whatever $160 set of LOOKS were on sale for a fraction of that, and call it a day. But those days seem long gone, and I don't have my finger on the pulse like I used to, so, as always, any good info is much appreciated.
These days, in my antiquated state, I'm just a casual 40-mile-a day exercise rider, so no sprints or contesting hill tops, no races or big club rides. Them days are long gone.
I'm not concerned with weight,color, or the latest-greatest blah,blah,blah, just whatever clip-in pedal will work for a few years, as cheaply as possible.
Those $50 LOOK Keos any good ?
Old 09-06-20, 09:20 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
They're great actually.

I ride Keo's that cost me $5 from the used bin, that were only $60 new. Unknown mileage, plus plenty of my own. Still perfect.

I had a pair of Look Delta's about 1999 whose bearing went bad. That's the only problem I've ever seen with the maybe 10-12 pairs of Looks I've owned of both cheap and midgrade quality, never went super high end.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 09-06-20, 09:44 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
My trusty old LOOK pedals are getting pretty long in the tooth, and I figured I'd do a little research before it got down to crunch time. Back in the glory days of Pricepoint, Supergo, etc., when bike-part deals flowed like honey, I'd just grab whatever $160 set of LOOKS were on sale for a fraction of that, and call it a day. But those days seem long gone, and I don't have my finger on the pulse like I used to, so, as always, any good info is much appreciated.
These days, in my antiquated state, I'm just a casual 40-mile-a day exercise rider, so no sprints or contesting hill tops, no races or big club rides. Them days are long gone.
I'm not concerned with weight,color, or the latest-greatest blah,blah,blah, just whatever clip-in pedal will work for a few years, as cheaply as possible.
I like Shimano better the cleats are better and cheaper. The pedal below the 105 pedal is around $50. I bought two pairs of 105 pedals 6 mos ago for less than $100 each. They are excellent pedals.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 09-06-20, 09:52 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
Them days are long gone.
If it's almost new shoe time also (or your shoes are also two bolt compatible), two bolt SPDs in a shoe that recesses the cleats will have cleats that last almost infinitely longer than road cleats. 520 pedals can sometimes be found for as little as $30
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 09-06-20, 04:34 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Thanks guys, good info. I actually have an old set of 2-bolt mtn cleats, on a very nice set of carbon-soled Shimano mtn shoes, that are sitting in a box of bike parts, along with the set of Time ATAC pedals they mate with. No reason I couldn't draft that stuff back into service.
And, I was just reading some great reviews of the Shimano 105 pedals and cleats, but i hadn't really considered Shimanos (and definitely need to keep it well under a $100 bucks). I've always used LOOKs on my road bikes, but I'm not adamantly committed to them.

Last edited by Brocephus; 09-07-20 at 05:54 AM.
Old 09-06-20, 04:39 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Thanks guys, good info. I actually have an old set of 2-bolt mtn cleats, on a very nice set of carbon-soled Shimano mtn shoes, that are sitting in a box of bike parts, along with the set of Time ATAC pedals they mate with. No reason I couldn't draft that stuff back into service.
And, I was just reading some great reviews of the Shimano 105 pedals and cleats, but i hadn't really considered Shimanos, I've always used LOOKs on my road bikes, but I'm not adamantly committed to them.
Coming from a dyed in the wool Campy guy, Shimano make the best pedals. No rocking, no creaking, no drama. No chipping, no peeling. Nice wide platform.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 09-07-20, 10:47 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I was given a set of Look-ish-style pedals a few years ago. They used a cleat slightly different from Look cleats. They were death traps! Not only was it about a 50% chance of not easily releasing, about 25% of the time they would jam when engaging and leave you with a foot stuck out at a 30 degree angle from the bike.

I would bet whatever pedals are available that are compatible with actual look cleats, the will work acceptably. IF the cleats are similar but not exactly like look cleats, avoid.