Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ti-Raleigh Team 753 40th anniversary replica review

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ti-Raleigh Team 753 40th anniversary replica review

Old 09-16-20, 06:56 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Nice looking bike and would get many compliments on a vintage ride. However, my eyes keep going to the crankset and then I notice the cable routing--wtf? Under BB cable routing destroys the elegant housing loop to the rear derailleur. And I'd likely put an 8 speed cassette for friction shifting.
Old 09-16-20, 07:35 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Nice looking bike and would get many compliments on a vintage ride. However, my eyes keep going to the crankset and then I notice the cable routing--wtf? Under BB cable routing destroys the elegant housing loop to the rear derailleur. And I'd likely put an 8 speed cassette for friction shifting.
The 1979 and up models had under bottom bracket routing.
Old 09-16-20, 09:13 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Now that I see the dropouts up close, I'm not that much against them. True, they're very thick and 2D, with none of the relief detail of a cast dropout, but they look like laser or waterjet-cut patterns following the Campagnolo 1010 - with adjusters, no less.

It may not be as elegant as a cast dropout, but I wouldn't mind seeing some modern steel bikes use these.

-Kurt

Old 09-16-20, 09:28 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts

Better. (From somebodies Flicker. Says it is 1980) But yea, all the other 1980s are under BB routing. Bad move IMO.

Last edited by Classtime; 09-16-20 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-16-20, 09:28 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
It has a nice beat and you can dance to it.

I am just not that into Raleighs.
Probably one of the few color schemes I prefer less than celeste.
I avoid them, lest I become converted.
Same with Peugeot and Bianchi.
I like it. Can’t afford it. So not.

Great stuff, just not me.

I don’t mind the retro-replica stuff.
Nothing works, or fails, like a lack of risk-aversity.
WWII comes to mind. Both sides.

I’m fairly sure the bike geeks/nerds/aficionados/experts/snobs here are not the target market.

Unwad the panties, it’s just a bike.
If Rivendell made it, there would be rounds of applause.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-17-20 at 06:23 AM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-16-20, 09:53 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
An honest comparison of old against new (frame/fork only):

TI-Raleigh 40th Anniversary Reynolds 753 Frameset

DD
Interesting the early images of the pre production frames and the shipped versions.
Transfers are a fail for sure. the fork blades in the marketing images showed 24mm round blades, not "correct" but intriguing.
The production frames get what might be Continental oval blades.
No mention if the made in Taiwan label is on top of any clear coat.
After the fork measure, makes one want to place the frame and fork in an alignment jig.

The "lawyer lips" are a now UCI standard! I guess cannot trust those team mechanics.

So it goes.
Likes For repechage:
Old 09-16-20, 11:36 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
The 1979 and up models had under bottom bracket routing.
I think the Team Raleighs started that whole thing, no? The rest of the world caught up ~5 years later.

The Long Shen lugs and BB shell are very nice.

Dropouts are pretty ugly IMO. Could they not have filed the protruding tang flush with the fork blade? For $3k+ i expect better workmanship.

I don't buy the vintage dropouts were unsafe, so we had to update it to use these ugly modern dropouts argument. Those Campy dropouts just used to assplode all the time!!! I know when I'm being fed BS. Likewise on the 753. Since they mention that the tubes are cro-mo, and 753 is manganese/molybendum, I have to assume they used 725. Nothing wrong with that. But I dislike dishonesty so this puts me off personally.

I guess I should give them kudos for trying, but IMO if you want a vintage style English bike, better to go to Mercian, or Bob Jackson, or a custom framebuilder.
Old 09-16-20, 12:00 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 160 Posts
Reminds me of a $300 bicycle back in the day. Stamped dropouts, unremarkable fork crown, iffy workmanship, off brand components, token Campy rear mech so they can claim Campagnolo drive train but it is all 100% brand spanking new!
What is not to like?

Last edited by embankmentlb; 09-16-20 at 12:07 PM.
Likes For embankmentlb:
Old 09-16-20, 01:05 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

"Detail is key in this project." - Raleigh UK.
"Poppycock." - 80% of SBDU fans.

It's like they knew they were building sub-par to the standards of the majority of people who'd buy the thing and tried to hide it, hoping the remaining bunch would throw coin at this.

For some reason, I'm not that offended by the dropouts as others are. The fit into the stays is quite bad, but I don't agree with the assessment that they look like some stamped trash. Looks water cut/laser jet to me. The sloping top tube and squished downtube transfer is much less tolerable.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 09-16-20, 06:10 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Tough crowd. Or tough minor peanut gallery, I guess.

Sloping top tube that is a couple degrees. Oh well.
Flat crown instead of sloping. Oh well.
Larger dropouts due to legal compliance. Oh well.

Maybe these things add up to not wanting to buy the bike because it isnt close enough to the original.
It also has a 2x10 drivetrain as well as 130mm dropouts, so it clearly isn't an exact replica.

It'd be neat if the US version of Raleigh did anything cool like this over the last few years. Instead, they just seem to recycle the same half neat designs and let them run their course until selling out the stock.
That's my feeling, too, that people here are all up in arms about not a whole lot. Like the bike or don't. I like it, and it's easy for me because I'm not buying it, either.

There's a US Raleigh? That's news to me. I think a German company took over the name worldwide, and it's a subsidiary or something. Overall, it's a nice line of bikes at good prices. It's weird that it's not sold widely here, because lots of Americans recognize and like the name.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-16-20, 06:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
"Detail is key in this project." - Raleigh UK.
"Poppycock." - 80% of SBDU fans.
Face it, no matter what a maker says, price point is key. SBDU fans don't expect SBDU details at this price point.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-16-20, 06:16 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by noglider
That's my feeling, too, that people here are all up in arms about not a whole lot. Like the bike or don't. I like it, and it's easy for me because I'm not buying it, either.

There's a US Raleigh? That's news to me. I think a German company took over the name worldwide, and it's a subsidiary or something. Overall, it's a nice line of bikes at good prices. It's weird that it's not sold widely here, because lots of Americans recognize and like the name.
Local local bike shop Raleigh dealer was recently ticked. He ordered some bikes, they arrived. Raleigh's USA website places the same models on sale direct to consumer for LESS than he bought them for.
OUCH.
Old 09-16-20, 06:16 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by noglider
Face it, no matter what a maker says, price point is key. SBDU fans don't expect SBDU details at this price point.
I don't think anyone can expect SBDU details without a custom framebuilder. Period.

And at that rate...might as well get the real thing. Or spray a Pro Mk.V and have fun.

-Kurt

Old 09-16-20, 06:26 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by cudak888
I don't think anyone can expect SBDU details without a custom framebuilder. Period.

And at that rate...might as well get the real thing. Or spray a Pro Mk.V and have fun.

-Kurt
The full bike price point does not compare favorably with a true vintage unit.
True, one will have to wait for one to turn up in their size.

I wonder if they really had these silver soldier constructed...

Someone did ask Campagnolo to modify the decoration on the rear mech, Mavic to run some retro rim transfers.
Energy was expended.
Old 09-16-20, 07:30 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by repechage
The full bike price point does not compare favorably with a true vintage unit.
Fair enough, though you are getting indexed modern Campagnolo in the bargain.

True, one will have to wait for one to turn up in their size.

I wonder if they really had these silver soldier constructed...
I wouldn't be surprised, it's arguably easier for a builder to work with - though 753, not so. Given the weight reported in the video, I wonder just how much 753 is in it.

Someone did ask Campagnolo to modify the decoration on the rear mech, Mavic to run some retro rim transfers.
Energy was expended.
Silkscreening and stickers - not a big deal for a large enough order. Wouldn't be surprised if Campagnolo simply dusted off one of their existing silkscreens from the 1990's to do it.

-Kurt

Old 09-16-20, 09:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I think the Team Raleighs started that whole thing, no? The rest of the world caught up ~5 years later.

The Long Shen lugs and BB shell are very nice.

Dropouts are pretty ugly IMO. Could they not have filed the protruding tang flush with the fork blade? For $3k+ i expect better workmanship.

I don't buy the vintage dropouts were unsafe, so we had to update it to use these ugly modern dropouts argument. Those Campy dropouts just used to assplode all the time!!! I know when I'm being fed BS. Likewise on the 753. Since they mention that the tubes are cro-mo, and 753 is manganese/molybendum, I have to assume they used 725. Nothing wrong with that. But I dislike dishonesty so this puts me off personally.

I guess I should give them kudos for trying, but IMO if you want a vintage style English bike, better to go to Mercian, or Bob Jackson, or a custom framebuilder.
They are lying about the tubing? Thats pretty significant.
Perhaps its as simple as 'cromo' was used out of ignorance or a simple attempt to describe what most think of when they hear steel tubes.
...or a major bike brand is lying about their product.
Old 09-16-20, 09:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Local local bike shop Raleigh dealer was recently ticked. He ordered some bikes, they arrived. Raleigh's USA website places the same models on sale direct to consumer for LESS than he bought them for.
OUCH.
Honesty time- how recent is recent? This was an issue a few years ago when Raleigh/Diamondback pushed their free corporate discount program.
For more than the last year though, that website has been a shell and had almost no stock. It started shortly before Accell sold off most of its North America division brands and partnered with Regent to distribute in the US.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 09-16-20 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-16-20, 10:22 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Perhaps its as simple as 'cromo' was used out of ignorance or a simple attempt to describe what most think of when they hear steel tubes.
1981-83 Schwinn Superiors wore 531 labels, but occasionally had a Columbus tube or two mixed in, depending on supply. Word of mouth from Don Mainland himself; I think @Scooper reported this long ago.

-Kurt

Old 09-17-20, 08:52 AM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 625 Times in 286 Posts
I have a hard time getting my knickers into a twist over this, though I did go from thinking "Wow---cool!" when I first read about it to "Meh." And if they're blowing smoke about the actual frame tubing being used, that definitely sucks.

What I'm left with is feeling that paying $2k for a replica frame that isn't a great replica, and is built in Taiwan i/o England, isn't a great value. If I had $2k to blow on a new frame, I'd rather give it to Mercian and get a custom lightweight SBDU clone, or give it to Bob Jackson and get the same thing, with money left over for parts. Or to Kevin Sayles, who in his 70s is going independent after decades building for the high-end British marques. Get an actual British frame.

Or spend the $2k, hopefully less, on an actual vintage SBDU frame in my size. They don't pop up all that often, but I could've bought a couple over the past couple of years if I had the desire and the jingle.

Or see if somebody cool in my home country could build me something similar, for similar $$$. How far would $2k get you at Waterford?
Old 09-17-20, 11:56 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 1,563 Posts
I'm not going to lie... this thread is making me feel even better about picking this up about 20 years ago....

It is nice that Raleigh UK is keeping the spirit of the team bikes alive, but they could at least have gotten the decals right! I would hope they have captured the feel of the bike when you ride it... I don't think anyone has compared the ride of the replica to an original yet??

As the wise Mr. PCB has pointed out, there are a lot of other options out there for someone seeking a nice traditional British bike, especially if you don't want to wait for the right used bike to pop up for sale.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 09-17-20, 12:05 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
No strong opinion either way. One could do better for the money, I think.

Maybe they should have called it a tribute instead of a replica? Price it accordingly?

Probably a nice riding bike.

The written review is laughable. Quill stems are still produced, sold, and used. No obsolescence there. Cotton tape masochystic? Seat post too harsh? Get real.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 09-17-20, 12:17 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Could have been used out of ignorance. Perhaps I've gotten too cynical lately.

I was curious so I looked at this a little more closely, by looking at the write up at the Raleigh website and checking availability at Reynolds.

Reynolds does state that 753 is still available, by special order only, and in limited quantities. I assume that 250 framesets worth is enough to meet that minimum. Also, 531 is still produced, and 753 is just heat treated 531. So at this point I'm going to say I was wrong () and they aren't lying. It's really a 753 frame it would seem. Wouldn't surprise me if there was a tube substitution here and there.

That said, 725 is just as good as 753 and generally equivalent in properties. It is actually better, since it does not require finicky silver soldering. It would have made more sense to use 725, but this is an exercise in nostalgia, so I appreciate they went the extra mile to use obsolete tech.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 09-17-20 at 12:23 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-17-20, 12:24 PM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
"Period correct plumbing" ??? later referred to as cro mo. Like they are really going to create a new alloy just for this bike. Why not just admit they used 725, which is basically identical to 753 in physical properties.
I assume that's just an error on the reviewer's part. They're making a big deal out of using 753.
Old 09-17-20, 12:33 PM
Salamandrine 

Originally Posted by capt_velo
I assume that's just an error on the reviewer's part. They're making a big deal out of using 753.
Agreed, reviewer error. That's what I concluded after reading some other reviews, as well as Raleigh's info on it.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 09-17-20, 12:43 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 178 Posts
This bike makes me so mad!!!
I am always amazed at how upset people get when a new steel bike is offered for sale by a manufacturer that has been around forever. Of course it is going to have some modern design elements and components. It is not intended to be an exact replica, it is a 40th Anniversary Edition, a tribute to a classic model that recalls a moment of glory for the brand. To keep the price this low they had to use components that are currently available which seriously limits the options. I would bet that the profit margins are almost non-existent on this model. Perhaps it is even sold at a loss, but one they can write off as promotional.

I guess people here don't buy many new bikes but $3000 for a new bike is just not that much these days! Have you checked the price of disposable bikes these days?

Chilling in smokey Oregon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.