Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling Is A Poor Form of Exercise :-(

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-22-20, 03:55 PM
djcookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I've gone to two local meetups with road cycling clubs. One was a social meet up, and the members seemed far more fit than the average person of their ages (most were older). At the second meet, everyone was ready for a ride in their gear. I was shocked by their appearance. In full lycra kit, they had comically oversized pot bellies, but with skinny noodly arms and legs.

Basically, cycling is just sitting. It is not weight bearing. Your bones become weaker as you sweat away minerals over long miles. Your muscles and bones don't become any stronger because they don't have to bear any weight. As a matter of fact, any additional weight is a liability, so additional muscle mass only penalizes you on climbs.

Even when I was riding many miles a week, I never lost any significant weight. In the past couple of weeks, I've been walking and hiking instead. I've lost more weight in these past couple of weeks than I did when I was riding upwards of 200 miles a week cycling!

Cycling for me is more about fun and recreation rather than "physical fitness." You become fit when you become stronger, and cycling may actually lead to the opposite.
Likes For djcookie:
Old 09-22-20, 04:00 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Unplug the battery and try it again.
Old 09-22-20, 04:01 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9521 Post(s)
Liked 6,265 Times in 3,453 Posts
Seeing those comically oversized pot bellies with some frequency gave me the courage to be seen in public with Lycra on since my pot belly is not comically oversized..
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-22-20, 04:02 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by djcookie
I've gone to two local meetups with road cycling clubs. One was a social meet up, and the members seemed far more fit than the average person of their ages (most were older). At the second meet, everyone was ready for a ride in their gear. I was shocked by their appearance. In full lycra kit, they had comically oversized pot bellies, but with skinny noodly arms and legs.

Basically, cycling is just sitting. It is not weight bearing. Your bones become weaker as you sweat away minerals over long miles. Your muscles and bones don't become any stronger because they don't have to bear any weight. As a matter of fact, any additional weight is a liability, so additional muscle mass only penalizes you on climbs.

Even when I was riding many miles a week, I never lost any significant weight. In the past couple of weeks, I've been walking and hiking instead. I've lost more weight in these past couple of weeks than I did when I was riding upwards of 200 miles a week cycling!

Cycling for me is more about fun and recreation rather than "physical fitness." You become fit when you become stronger, and cycling may actually lead to the opposite.
You also have to stop eating so much.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-22-20, 04:27 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
To the OP: Funny, I was going on more hilly hikes and dog walks due to extreme heat and smoke. Rode 38 miles and climbed 5K ft for my first ride in two weeks and it was a damn struggle. I now realize how hikes really were far lower on the aerobic rating than hilly bike rides.
Old 09-22-20, 04:38 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts

maybe you should find a group that are in their 20s and 30s?
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 09-22-20, 04:39 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

Fitness is sport specific or activity specific and just because somebody is fit at one particular activity doesn't mean that they're fit at other activities...The word "fitness" has a very broad meaning and means different things to different people. There are many different types of fitness... I agree that strength training is extremely important and I do it myself...but being strong and lifting a heavy weight doesn't mean that you're fit enough to perform in other activities.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-22-20, 04:40 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Personally, I think people overestimate the calories required to cycle and so they probably end up eating in excess of what they burn. If you're burning 300-500 calories per hour and then loading up on pastries and such, then no, the weight isn't going to come off.

As for cycling not being good exercise, I'd challenge some folks to do 10-12hrs a week of structured workouts like I and many more fitness/competitive minded cyclists do and then reassess whether they think it's good exercise or not.
Old 09-22-20, 04:48 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Basically walking and hiking are just standing.
Old 09-22-20, 04:49 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
There are many kinds of cycling clubs, some are more social than others. If you went to a race or a race-oriented group ride, you'd see some very fit riders. Even the older ones.
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
What a sweeping, oversimplified statement. Within months of changing nothing in my routine except adding some bike commuting trips each week, I went from an already light BMI of a shade over 21, which I'd kept for over a decade, to under 20, and my waist slimmed down to narrower than my smallest belt size. My legs went from looking like sticks barely wider than my biceps to, well, normal sized.
Likes For surak:
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Personally, I think people overestimate the calories required to cycle and so they probably end up eating in excess of what they burn..
Calorie counting is unnecessary. I don't even count how many calories I burn... I eat by feel and can eat quite a lot on most days and have never been overweight yet.
Old 09-22-20, 05:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10898 Post(s)
Liked 7,386 Times in 4,145 Posts
Perhaps reality is not on the extreme ends of the spectrum.
Maybe cycling is good exercise, but it should be supplemented with other forms of exercise if you want a full body workout.

...and to be clear, mountain biking can use a lot more than just your legs. There can be a lot of core work thru balancing and throwing the bike around singletrack. Core, arms, legs- thats about everything.

But yeah, to have overall balanced strength and fitness, you should target more than just one area.
whoda thunk?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-22-20, 05:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Personally, I think people overestimate the calories required to cycle and so they probably end up eating in excess of what they burn. If you're burning 300-500 calories per hour and then loading up on pastries and such, then no, the weight isn't going to come off.

As for cycling not being good exercise, I'd challenge some folks to do 10-12hrs a week of structured workouts like I and many more fitness/competitive minded cyclists do and then reassess whether they think it's good exercise or not.
300-500 calories an hour? Are they riding a dead flat path at 7mph?

My burn range is a lot higher.
Old 09-22-20, 05:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Calorie counting is unnecessary. I don't even count how many calories I burn... I eat by feel and can eat quite a lot on most days and have never been overweight yet.
Then it's more accurate to say calorie counting is unnecessary FOR YOU. Not everyone is so fortunate. Trust me on this.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-22-20, 05:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by wolfchild
And that works for you, which is fantastic. Its absurd to say counting calories is unnecessary though. While you don't need it, others do.
Everyone has different ways to find and maintain healthy bodies and weight.

I religiously count calories, to the point that it is exhausting. But it is also what has worked to allow me to maintain a healthy weight as well as healthy body.
Religiously track calories in and religiously track calories burned. I'd love to not track and eat 'by feel', but that hasn't been a recipe for success so far.

In case you haven't heard, there are also multiple ways people learn best. Crazy, right?! I'm sure you figure your learning style is the only necessary way.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-22-20, 05:21 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 210 Posts
Why do people respond to these absolutely asinine posts?
Old 09-22-20, 05:30 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
300-500 calories an hour? Are they riding a dead flat path at 7mph?

My burn range is a lot higher.
Well, just basing it on my own power. endurance watts for me (~200w) is about 750/hr (my 100 mile ride a few weeks ago was 3750 over 5:14). Going around the neighborhood with my 9y/o at 12ish mph at 275 cal/hr (we have a flat .25 mile loop we ride around for an hour). So the 300-500 is what I'd consider somewhere average folks would be.
Old 09-22-20, 05:34 PM
downhillmaster

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Maybe you should read a book instead...
Old 09-22-20, 05:40 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I never quite understood how cycling can be considered not to be weight-bearing. Sure, nothing in your upper body gets much of a workout.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-22-20, 05:42 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,277 Times in 7,225 Posts
Having one been a frequent poster in the Clyde forum, I agree based on what numerous people thought they were burning per hour on slow rides.

Personally, while cycling across the country unsupported I managed to put on fat pounds because in the Midwest I was still eating like I had been in the mountains of the west. Also, we ate out more often because of the horrible heat and humidity. Food choices at restaurants were often calorie ladened. When I realized what was happening I dialed it back and lost the weight in the mountains of NY and New England.

Over the years I have lowered my calories while touring without sacrificing performance. This past Sunday I finished a 9 day trip. 64 miles with some pretty good hills in the first 40 miles. For breakfast I had a bottled juice drink and a muffin from a c-store. On the road I had 3 Cliff bars and a package of Truvita crackers. Never one felt fatigued despite a headwind much of the way.

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-22-20 at 05:50 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-22-20, 05:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,277 Times in 7,225 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
Why do people respond to these absolutely asinine posts?
Seems to be a new one from a noob every day. I smell socks.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-22-20, 06:42 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
3 posts and 17 quotes... seems a bit backwards.
Old 09-22-20, 06:44 PM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
I've learned that generalizations are as helpful as, well, dog excrement.
Old 09-22-20, 06:46 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
In another recent thread - and it may have been started by the same OP - a mod weighed in to ask people to report trolls rather than feeding them. So, troll reported. We'll see if anything comes of it.
Likes For Koyote:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.