Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Looking for vintage bicycle appraisal

Old 09-21-20, 06:21 PM
Prairiewind

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Looking for vintage bicycle appraisal

My wife and I are liquidating the estate of a former bicycle shop owner. The shop closed roughly 15 years ago and much of the original inventory is still here. We are looking for a reputable appraiser in the Klamath Falls area to assist. Conservatively there is 500-1000 complete bikes in condition ranging from NOS to requires repairs. If you know of any reputable contacts please contact us.
Likes For Prairiewind:
Old 09-22-20, 08:13 AM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Prairiewind
My wife and I are liquidating the estate of a former bicycle shop owner. The shop closed roughly 15 years ago and much of the original inventory is still here. We are looking for a reputable appraiser in the Klamath Falls area to assist. Conservatively there is 500-1000 complete bikes in condition ranging from NOS to requires repairs. If you know of any reputable contacts please contact us.
Wow that must have been a very large bike shop to have that many complete bikes and they have all been sitting in the shop for over 15 years? Holy Cow!! I hope you eventually share photos and posts about them here. While I am not on the West Coast at all and would not be able to buy anything you put up for sale I would sure love to see some photos of what you have. I'm assuming you will become a regular on the forum here and share photos and possibly links to the site when you do end up selling them?
Likes For tpadul:
Old 09-22-20, 08:59 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
500 to 1,000 is quite a spread.
Old 09-22-20, 09:03 AM
Prairiewind

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Massive shop/warehouse, 4-5 outbuildings all completely stuffed
Likes For Prairiewind:
Old 09-22-20, 09:09 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Road trip!
Old 09-23-20, 12:31 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,298 Times in 3,633 Posts
There is a fairly strong C+V community in Ashland, I would reach out to some of the shops there for help.

Keith Anderson, if you could find him was a master painter, frame builder and was in K Falls for awhile a few years back.

The Rogue Valley collection was also posted on here a few years ago and might be able to help if you can find them.

Last resort is the Pro's Closet, they buy collections but you have to do all the ground work to get good money out of a deal with them, Sky from Velo Cult transported his collection to Colorado himself as the shipping would have killed the deal.

Any swing at this is a herculean task and will not be for the faint of heart, it needs to be bike people you work with, regular auction/appraiser outfits will not be able to wring this out for decent $$$ to you.

Last edited by merziac; 09-23-20 at 12:35 AM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-23-20, 03:49 PM
Prairiewind

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
There is a fairly strong C+V community in Ashland, I would reach out to some of the shops there for help.

Keith Anderson, if you could find him was a master painter, frame builder and was in K Falls for awhile a few years back.

The Rogue Valley collection was also posted on here a few years ago and might be able to help if you can find them.

Last resort is the Pro's Closet, they buy collections but you have to do all the ground work to get good money out of a deal with them, Sky from Velo Cult transported his collection to Colorado himself as the shipping would have killed the deal.

Any swing at this is a herculean task and will not be for the faint of heart, it needs to be bike people you work with, regular auction/appraiser outfits will not be able to wring this out for decent $$$ to you.
We greatly appreciate the information. From digging around it appears that Keith Anderson has a music career going and doesn't do a lot with bikes anymore. We contacted Rouge Valley and learned they are now in Rhode Island. We'll just keep fishing around until we find more leads. Thanks again
Old 09-23-20, 05:10 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

We greatly appreciate the information. From digging around it appears that Keith Anderson has a music career going and doesn't do a lot with bikes anymore. We contacted Rouge Valley and learned they are now in Rhode Island. We'll just keep fishing around until we find more leads. Thanks again
You may be able to contact Sky Boyer from Velo Cult, as I said, he closed his shop but is still in PDX and on efbay and maybe Velo Cult on the web, not sure.

I would encourage you to get some pics for us, it may spur somebody to action that could help.

What is your level of bike expertise?
Old 09-23-20, 05:30 PM
Prairiewind

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
You may be able to contact Sky Boyer from Velo Cult, as I said, he closed his shop but is still in PDX and on efbay and maybe Velo Cult on the web, not sure.

I would encourage you to get some pics for us, it may spur somebody to action that could help.

What is your level of bike expertise?
We have a basic knowledge of various bikes. Frames and complete bikes are relatively easy to research opposed to components. However in this case the sheer volume makes that all but impossible. We should have the 10 posts required to upload pictures and will absolutely do that.
Likes For Prairiewind:
Old 09-23-20, 05:45 PM
merziac

That's good, without basic knowledge, you don't know what you don't know and that can be critical in cases like this.
Old 09-23-20, 06:11 PM
merziac

We have a basic knowledge of various bikes. Frames and complete bikes are relatively easy to research opposed to components. However in this case the sheer volume makes that all but impossible. We should have the 10 posts required to upload pictures and will absolutely do that.
I assume you have done some research on the more recognizable bikes that you could see from the outside.

Quickest way to get the posts is to respond to each post to this thread.

1 more today and then I think 5 more tomorrow will do it.

5 X 2 days for 10 to get there.
Old 09-23-20, 07:31 PM
Prairiewind

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I assume you have done some research on the more recognizable bikes that you could see from the outside.

Quickest way to get the posts is to respond to each post to this thread.

1 more today and then I think 5 more tomorrow will do it.

5 X 2 days for 10 to get there.
Correct the big names Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, etc are pretty simple. I can reasonably ID the older BMX style stuff from when I was younger and drooled over the latest GT, Redline and Diamond Back products. Where my biggest obstacle (so far) comes in is seeing a pile of 150 forks or 200 sets of cranks.
Old 09-23-20, 07:54 PM
merziac

Correct the big names Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, etc are pretty simple. I can reasonably ID the older BMX style stuff from when I was younger and drooled over the latest GT, Redline and Diamond Back products. Where my biggest obstacle (so far) comes in is seeing a pile of 150 forks or 200 sets of cranks.
If you have BMX knowledge and its there you have a leg up. That stuff can be a big deal because much of it did not survive but as with all else you have to really know it to divide the chaff from the rest.

Your going to want to focus first on the good higher end completes that are in good shape to decide where you want to draw the line.

Whatever you do, do not let anyone cherry pick before you draft a plan, especially if it appears there is not a substantial portion of good stuff.

The cranks and forks could be good but here again, not if a good part of it is not good stuff in good shape, like I said, daunting.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-23-20, 08:18 PM
Prairiewind

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
If you have BMX knowledge and its there you have a leg up. That stuff can be a big deal because much of it did not survive but as with all else you have to really know it to divide the chaff from the rest.

Your going to want to focus first on the good higher end completes that are in good shape to decide where you want to draw the line.

Whatever you do, do not let anyone cherry pick before you draft a plan, especially if it appears there is not a substantial portion of good stuff.

The cranks and forks could be good but here again, not if a good part of it is not good stuff in good shape, like I said, daunting.
Daunting might be an understatement. The maddening part is every pile has to be searched. Today's find was a GT-5 drop nose seat still in packaging with the invoice mixed in with heavily damaged parts. Definitely going to be an interesting and educational experience.
Old 09-24-20, 12:55 PM
merziac

Daunting might be an understatement. The maddening part is every pile has to be searched. Today's find was a GT-5 drop nose seat still in packaging with the invoice mixed in with heavily damaged parts. Definitely going to be an interesting and educational experience.
Yep, gonna be a lot of chaff.
Old 09-24-20, 01:08 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
BF needs a notification option so when Prairiewind posts on this thread I can check in
Old 09-24-20, 02:24 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
BF needs a notification option so when Prairiewind posts on this thread I can check in

Old 09-24-20, 02:53 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Old 09-25-20, 01:09 PM
Prairiewind

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Working on getting the necessary 10 posts. Once completed I'll be able to check the messages some of you have sent and get some pictures posted
Old 09-25-20, 05:04 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Working on getting the necessary 10 posts. Once completed I'll be able to check the messages some of you have sent and get some pictures posted
Reply to this and you will be one closer
Old 09-25-20, 05:21 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

And this!!
Old 09-25-20, 05:46 PM
Prairiewind

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
And this!!
just need a few more and guaranteed we'll get pictures posted
Old 09-26-20, 11:41 AM
Prairiewind

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
just need a few more and guaranteed we'll get pictures posted
Two more posts and we'll get pictures rolling. Hopefully by this afternoon!!!
Old 09-26-20, 08:32 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
This is supper tough one figure low end per bike 100 at average with 500 so your looking at 400.000 value discounted. So A really tough sale get some pics of the nicer stuff and some members here will likely want a bike or two beyond that Good Luck we do what we can at the BF' .
Old 09-26-20, 08:44 PM
Prairiewind

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
This is supper tough one figure low end per bike 100 at average with 500 so your looking at 400.000 value discounted. So A really tough sale get some pics of the nicer stuff and some members here will likely want a bike or two beyond that Good Luck we do what we can at the BF' .
Pictures will be posted very soon as this should give us the required 10 posts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.