Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Is this Crescent a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-20, 07:36 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1
I would like to know what you base "For a long time they were French produced," on? On the three you have seen - not likely.
...once again, because you appear to have taken this up as a cause, I have seen three. All of them were 70's imports bikes (I think), all of them had Nervex fancy lugs, fork crowns that appeared to be French produced, and smaller diameter metric tubing. IIRC (it has been a while) the cranks and components were French as well.

I owned none of them, and took none of them apart. I almost bought one, but it was small for me.

I was not present when the frames were manufactured. I do know that the company was long a source of imported frames from places like America, Italy, Brazil, and probably some other spots I've forgotten. I also think that many Zeus bikes seem to be a lot like French frames, but those were brazed up in Spain.

The basis for my statement, once again was visual inspection and speculation based on comparison with other bicycles I've seen here. From a limited sample, as these Crescent bikes don't seem to show up that much in the used bike stream.

I realize you live in Sweden, and are thus exposed to more of them. I have just opined based on what I've seen here as imported to the States, which is not much. OTOH, it would not at all surprise me if I might have seen in passing more French frames from the 60's and 70's. I hope this is adequate to your requirements, because I won't be responding further. I had no idea that referencing the company history of importing and rebranding frames would start an international incident.
Old 09-24-20, 01:05 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 303 Posts
The only incident here is that you stated that Crescent for a long time they were French produced - only later you added that you did not know a thing about it. That is how sh-t spread on the net. Writing things you actually do not have a clue about. There has never been a Crescent or Monark made in France.
Old 09-24-20, 06:10 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Let's keep it civil folks. When in doubt, grace is the best course.
Old 09-24-20, 07:40 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
FWIW, I have a 92319 that is a great bicycle. When I first got it I wrote to Cycleurope in Varberg and they confirmed that mine was made in Varberg in 1974. Yes there are design features inspired by French design, but also British standards and unique and, at times pragmatic Swedish choices. I'm VERY pleased with the build quality and the ride. Note that this bike sits right next to and is often compared to my 1976 Raleigh Professional MK IV. I'm very pleased to have the Crescent - a VARLDSMASTARCYKELN

I recently completed a full service on a Paris-Sport, made by Francesco Cuevas in the early '70s. Full 531 frame with NR components. Lovely high end specialty bike. On the test ride I was thinking "wow, I could just go 18mph for an hour on this bike!" A few days later I took my Crescent out on dawn patrol - 30miles in the cool morning air. How pleased I was to realize that the Crescent was just as nice as the Paris-Sport, even better as the frame fit me better. I'm not fit enough to maintain 18mph for an hour but the ride was sublime and put a huge grin on my face. IMHO the 93200 series Crescents are very fine bicycles.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 09-24-20, 11:36 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Let's keep it civil folks. When in doubt, grace is the best course.
...when someone wants to be offended, they will find reason to be offended. If I have learned nothing else here on the forums, it is this.
Old 09-24-20, 01:37 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...when someone wants to be offended, they will find reason to be offended. If I have learned nothing else here on the forums, it is this.
No question about it. I'm just getting tired of the nastiness I see on this site and two others that I frequent. A recent thread about Grant Petersen here erupted and had to be locked. It is a shame.
Old 09-24-20, 05:37 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by TugaDude
... A recent thread about Grant Petersen here erupted and had to be locked. It is a shame.
... I don't get how poor ol' Grant Petersen manages to arouse such passion. He seems sweet in person. I guess he just pushes a lot of buttons. It's like "Grant Petersen" is the new substitute for "Niagara Falls".
Old 01-23-24, 10:28 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 1,585 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela

It seems like ~90% of our MCB threads discuss boomers.

Good to see one which is just post-boom.
The quality of the brazing and finishing is so much better than the early 70's bikes I've seen . And yes, dezombification of Crescent topics will be happening, as my 2024 project bike is a 25" Crescent 318 (319?) with Super Vitus 971 tubes.

Last edited by BTinNYC; 01-23-24 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-23-24, 05:31 PM
BTinNYC 

Well, the frame failed it's first test, and my big feet will not fit. The frame goes up into the rafters of experience and the parts are parts.
Old 01-23-24, 05:49 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Well, the frame failed it's first test, and my big feet will not fit. The frame goes up into the rafters of experience and the parts are parts.
That's pretty minimal overlap compared to what I've used to. People seem to fall into either the "No overlap ever!" camp or the "Never bothered me!" camp. Just mentioning it in case you're regretting getting rid of it---might be worth thinking about.
Old 01-23-24, 06:48 PM
BTinNYC 

Originally Posted by Trakhak
That's pretty minimal overlap compared to what I've used to. People seem to fall into either the "No overlap ever!" camp or the "Never bothered me!" camp. Just mentioning it in case you're regretting getting rid of it---might be worth thinking about.
Thanks for that. I'll think about this.
Old 01-24-24, 02:28 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Thanks for that. I'll think about this.
Just popping in here again to mention that you do have to be careful with toe overlap when maneuvering at low speed, but at anything faster than a walking pace, shoe/tire contact doesn't happen.
Old 01-24-24, 06:10 AM
BTinNYC 

Just popping in here again to mention that you do have to be careful with toe overlap when maneuvering at low speed, but at anything faster than a walking pace, shoe/tire contact doesn't happen.
Well, I'm going to continue - this frame is getting my first brazing work with shifter bosses, etc. Then a simple build before any cosmetic work, and I'll ride it and see if I'm bothered.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 01-25-24, 11:43 AM
13velos

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX50, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1982 Trek 720, 1970 Motoconfort, 2023 Soma Pescadero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I don’t mind a little overlap, but Crescents have a reputation for pretty severe overlap. Never ridden one, though.
Old 01-25-24, 04:48 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1
There has never been a Crescent or Monark made in France.
How about Belgium?

I missed this thread the first time around, hence my late reply. But since it's back on page 1, have a look here ...

Belgian Bike Questions (Dossche Sport),

... followed by ...

Mid 70s Dossche Sport build

... and here:

Diamant Frame set Info Request

Old 01-27-24, 05:00 AM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
It really IS funny how some people ride their esteem on the internet. There really should be a bike model with that name, fully equipped w/ Campy Super dooper record schmekerd.

So how about the real Crecents? The American built ones.
😉
Old 01-27-24, 10:18 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
The Crescent, yeah those are very tight front end for the toes. It’s like that with smaller feets not just those with big boats.
Old 02-01-24, 05:43 PM
BTinNYC 

<It's quote Trakhak day>
So I proved your point to myself. My Trek Domane just got fenders and now has more overlap than the Crescent. Today I rode 25 city miles - plenty of tight maneuvering and slow motion (non) trackstands - with no issues and no touches. I didn't think to check the overlap until I got home.