Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Repainting and Re-chroming a Masi 1977 frame and fork

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-20, 05:47 AM
Maximilian71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hello There!

i live in Dublin and I have a Masi Prestige from 1977. The bike is in very good conditions, fully working and mounted with a Campagnolo Super Record. Unfortunately the frame and the chromed fork needs to be re-painted and re-chromed as painting is decaying in several part of the frame and chrome is under the attack of rust.

I wonder if you know someone that does this services in Ireland. Of course, good quality services. I am considering to send the frame and fork to Alberto, but just wanted to check if a local option is feasible.

Thanks
Max
Old 09-24-20, 08:39 AM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
I don't live in Ireland, but would like to visit someday. Anyhow curiosity and 30 seconds with Google found this.

Restoration
Old 09-24-20, 12:05 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Steelman54
I don't live in Ireland, but would like to visit someday. Anyhow curiosity and 30 seconds with Google found this.

Restoration
Looks like that shop only does powder coat? If so, and rechrome + wet paint is what you're after, Argos Cycle in Cardiff does a fantastic job.
Old 09-24-20, 12:47 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked 3,107 Times in 1,957 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Looks like that shop only does powder coat? If so, and rechrome + wet paint is what you're after, Argos Cycle in Cardiff does a fantastic job.
wow. Their prices are very reasonable!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 09-24-20, 01:10 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Maximilian71
Hello There!

i live in Dublin and I have a Masi Prestige from 1977. The bike is in very good conditions, fully working and mounted with a Campagnolo Super Record. Unfortunately the frame and the chromed fork needs to be re-painted and re-chromed as painting is decaying in several part of the frame and chrome is under the attack of rust.

I wonder if you know someone that does this services in Ireland. Of course, good quality services. I am considering to send the frame and fork to Alberto, but just wanted to check if a local option is feasible.

Thanks
Max
Flagrant foul!

You cannot talk about a Masi without showing us what we're talking about, you must provide pics, always, or it didn't happen.
Old 09-24-20, 01:31 PM
Maximilian71

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Flagrant foul!

You cannot talk about a Masi without showing us what we're talking about, you must provide pics, always, or it didn't happen.
You are right! My bad! here the babe! unfortunately it suffered a lot in the last 18 months. Frame is a 1977, it is mounted a Campagnolo Super Record of early 80s.. It has been modified in Florence in 1986 and re-painted with new decals. it works perfectly but rust is attacking her in some parts. So I am cleaning her but fork needs to be rechromed as well as the frame. Hope you like it!

BTW, i wrote to Alberto Masi, and he told me that paiting cannot be removed by sandblasting otherwise the frame will ruin.

Likes For Maximilian71:
Old 09-24-20, 01:38 PM
Maximilian71

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
thanks. They have very reasonable prices. I will contact them. Thanks a lot!
Old 09-24-20, 01:48 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Maximilian71

Wow, lotta nasty stuff going on here, sorry to see.

Did Alberto expound on media blasting or what he/they would do.

I would encourage you to consider doing what you can yourself, chem strip is a pain but the least invasive for Al's thinking.

If you warm up the frame a bunch after scuffing with 100 grit, it really soaks up the stripper.

Once its stripped the blasting would be minimal to help facilitate final prep.

You could seek out a artisan/restoration auto painter and see if they would take it on and see if they would do spot work.

The chrome fork can be another whole can o worms, again maybe a resto painter, auto or motorcycle guy/shop could help.
Old 09-24-20, 01:50 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Memories! I trained with a woman who had a Masi ~built 3-4 years earlier. It was hard ridden before she got it and no show piece, but a good bike. Much simpler paint and decals. No braze-ons for rear brake housing. Sewups. NR. And one of the highest quality riders in close quarters I ever rode with on the seat.
Old 09-24-20, 02:17 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
thanks. They have very reasonable prices. I will contact them. Thanks a lot!
I've shipped 2 frames to them after 650b conversions for UK and Continent customers. They've been very pleased with the results.
Old 09-24-20, 03:00 PM
Maximilian71

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Maximilian71

Wow, lotta nasty stuff going on here, sorry to see.

Did Alberto expound on media blasting or what he/they would do.

I would encourage you to consider doing what you can yourself, chem strip is a pain but the least invasive for Al's thinking.

If you warm up the frame a bunch after scuffing with 100 grit, it really soaks up the stripper.

Once its stripped the blasting would be minimal to help facilitate final prep.

You could seek out a artisan/restoration auto painter and see if they would take it on and see if they would do spot work.

The chrome fork can be another whole can o worms, again maybe a resto painter, auto or motorcycle guy/shop could help.
Al would go for the chem strip as is the least invasive, but a pain indeed and not so quick, not as sendblasting. . I wil check the guys in Wales but I am considering to send the frame and fork to him. it wont be cheap, also considering the transport, but it'd be a relief as he know how and what to do ro restore that (his) frame and he would also remove the modification (cables on the bottom of the crank), so bring it back as it was in 1977. Meanwhile i am cleaning all parts. the most ruined are the brake pads, the rest is ok-ish. i do not know, i am tempted., it is a pity to see that bike in those conditions.
Old 09-24-20, 03:12 PM
merziac

Al would go for the chem strip as is the least invasive, but a pain indeed and not so quick, not as sendblasting. . I wil check the guys in Wales but I am considering to send the frame and fork to him. it wont be cheap, also considering the transport, but it'd be a relief as he know how and what to do ro restore that (his) frame and he would also remove the modification (cables on the bottom of the crank), so bring it back as it was in 1977. Meanwhile i am cleaning all parts. the most ruined are the brake pads, the rest is ok-ish. i do not know, i am tempted., it is a pity to see that bike in those conditions.
No worries

Keep in mind nothing is completely ruined, save all pieces for reference if nothing else and even ugly parts can be stand ins for temporary.

Get those pad holders in some evaporust/ oxalic acid after a scrub with a brass bristle brush, same for any other chrome.
Old 09-24-20, 04:06 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Might also be worth considering Mercian in the UK, though I have no direct experience with them like Gugie does with Argos.

https://www.merciancycles.co.uk/renovations/
Old 09-27-20, 01:01 PM
Maximilian71

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Might also be worth considering Mercian in the UK, though I have no direct experience with them like Gugie does with Argos.

https://www.merciancycles.co.uk/renovations/
thanks a lot! i will write them, :-)
Likes For Maximilian71: