Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-17, 05:49 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I got to hang out with Gstein a bit this week at Disney. Turned out we were even in the same hotel - that may not sound like a huge coincidence, but there are about 50 hotels here. This place is huge.

Also, was asked at the airline check in counter if I’d mind sitting in an exit row.

Last edited by topflightpro; 10-20-17 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-20-17, 08:42 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
TTOC, don’t sweat it too much. You’re a month out of school and on the job. I’m not yet 40, and I’m on my third career: newspaper reporter then editor, public relations/communications, and now marketing.

Going into reporting, I wanted to be a sports reporter. I took a business writing job because it was available, paid better than sports, and most importantly, was close to my then girlfriend (now wife). Business writing was the absolute last thing I wanted to do. Six months in, a spot opened on the sports desk. I opted to stay in business. It was a lot better than I realized. After a couple years, I moved to the metro desk covering city government. Then was promoted to editor.

I ended up leaving journalism and going into corporate PR for a bit, then academic PR/Communications and this year, I moved into marketing.

And this all came after I spent college studying to work on Wall Street, where I spent two summers interning. In fact, I was in Goldman Sachs lobby doing a full day interview when I decided I wanted to be a writer instead. Technically, I wanted to be a poet (I was a dumb college kid) but I realized that would likely mean living in my parents basement for the rest of my life. Journalism at least allowed me to write and earn money.

Anyway, my point is that careers are fluid. What happens today is not guaranteed to set you on a path for the rest of your life. Go with whichever one you think you will enjoy doing more and let the pieces fall where they may.
Thank you for this. It helps me to realize my decision today doesn't always result in huge future consequences. Many of my coworkers now held positions doing this exact same work and transitioned back into the office. And many people have been doing the lab based engineering for their entire careers and are more than happy.

I slept on it last night and played through way too many scenarios where I end up homeless to be thinking rationally. Im pretty sure I want to go with the lab job that let's me get my hands dirty. I haven't enjoyed the desk life I've been living for the last 4 months all that much and a change is always good. I'll deal with the logistics fee commute.

It is nice to have multiple managers wanting you, though!
Old 10-20-17, 09:28 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
To me, it seems that transitioning to the office from the lab would be easier than the other way around (plus, I like getting my hands dirty), so it seems that going the lab route would keep more options open later.
Old 10-20-17, 10:49 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,149 Times in 1,657 Posts
+1 to the lab --> office comments. Might be a good idea to build your technical/hands-on proficiency now rather than later. Granted, I'm only a little ahead of you (2010 grad).

I started in the lab full time and now I'm at my desk about 2/3 of the time, have 5 direct reports and bring in more (lab) work than I can complete myself. It's a good balance for me.

Some of the super señor scientists complain that they never get to play in the lab and hate being at their desk all day... fortunately I'm not there yet
Old 10-20-17, 11:16 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
As mind numbing as my job has been at times, I've been pretty lucky to have relative stability for the past 14 years (straight out of grad school), and it's crazy to think I'm likely halfway through with my career. My wife, on the other hand, as always been in education but has had her career morph from classroom teacher, private sector consulting, and then ed admin. Life is interesting, you younger guys will be ok!

So I've been following this Amazon new HQ bidding, here in MA everyone and their mom is trying to get them to come to their town. I'm rooting for my hometown, as the site would be walking distance from my parents' house and they would get a sizable gain on their home value lol
Old 10-20-17, 01:01 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

I appreciate the positive comments, everyone. I texted my manager to let her know after my ride today. We'll see how it all goes! Scary to be changing roles after only 4 months of working! I am excited to get to work on very tangible, physical pieces of hardware again though!
@hubcyclist, if a lot of communities saw what Amazon has done for Seattle they'd be bidding even harder, but scared. Amazon has caused a lot of gentrification in Seattle and made it nigh on impossible for "normal" people to afford to live in the neighborhoods of the city. On the other hand though, they created a ton of jobs at many different income brackets. I worked in the warehouse for a summer moving boxes and I've got friends out of college making 100k+ as software developers. It really is amazing the way they have taken over.

Google "Amazon killed Seattle" and read the number of negative articles. The rebuttals articles are also good to read.
Old 10-22-17, 06:14 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I bought a new car (2016 Ford Focus) last February. It just turned over 20k miles this afternoon on the way back from DC to home in Louisiana. By this time next month, it'll have another 3.5k on it. I'm considering putting it up on blocks for the month of December.

Demain, on roule!

Last edited by revchuck; 10-22-17 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-22-17, 08:10 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by revchuck
I bought a new car (2016 Ford Focus) last February. It just turned over 20k miles this afternoon on the way back from DC to home in Louisiana. By this time next month, it'll have another 3.5k on it. I'm considering putting it up on blocks for the month of December.
How do you like the Focus? I've always liked the focus RS model. My Honda still has a few more years in it, but can always lust after something new, right? Moving to a snowbound part of the country has me needing to learn how to drive in the snow and looking at rally cars is fun!
Old 10-23-17, 05:21 AM
revchuck 
OMC

I think you've got the Focus confused with another car. It's a sub-compact, the second-smallest in Ford's line.

That said, I like the car with the exception of the transmission's performance at low speed. When starting from a dead stop, it seems to want to "wind up" for a half-second or so, even when you floor it. Above 10 mph or so, it's fine. I'd like it much better with a manual transmission. OTOH, on the highway the transmission is great, downshifts and upshifts are smooth including when the cruise control is engaged.

The engine is decent at low (<3k) rpm and pretty impressive once above 3.5k. Real-world mileage is about 37-38 mpg highway (70 mph, cruise engaged, a/c on) though I got 43 and 39 yesterday on the way back from DC. Mixed is ~30 mpg. 70 mph = 2.4k rpm.

The suspension and handling are good. It's taut without beating you up on bad roads, and when you steer it, it goes there now. It's a good long-distance car, but road noise is pretty loud, especially on concrete pavement.

Re: bikes, my BB-saddle height is 81 cm. I have the hatchback version and with the rear seat folded down and the front wheel off, the bike just fits. I tested that before I said I'd take it.

Demain, on roule!
Old 10-23-17, 10:42 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
I think you've got the Focus confused with another car. It's a sub-compact, the second-smallest in Ford's line.

That said, I like the car with the exception of the transmission's performance at low speed. When starting from a dead stop, it seems to want to "wind up" for a half-second or so, even when you floor it. Above 10 mph or so, it's fine. I'd like it much better with a manual transmission. OTOH, on the highway the transmission is great, downshifts and upshifts are smooth including when the cruise control is engaged.

The engine is decent at low (<3k) rpm and pretty impressive once above 3.5k. Real-world mileage is about 37-38 mpg highway (70 mph, cruise engaged, a/c on) though I got 43 and 39 yesterday on the way back from DC. Mixed is ~30 mpg. 70 mph = 2.4k rpm.

The suspension and handling are good. It's taut without beating you up on bad roads, and when you steer it, it goes there now. It's a good long-distance car, but road noise is pretty loud, especially on concrete pavement.

Re: bikes, my BB-saddle height is 81 cm. I have the hatchback version and with the rear seat folded down and the front wheel off, the bike just fits. I tested that before I said I'd take it.
The Focus RS is one of the hottest of the hot hatches.
Old 10-23-17, 12:10 PM
topflightpro

Uggh. It's only 2 o'clock. It feels like I've been here forever today.
Old 10-23-17, 06:37 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Originally Posted by Flatballer
The Focus RS is one of the hottest of the hot hatches.
I'm finally home from the trip and googled it. Oh, hell yeah!

Demain, on roule!
Old 10-23-17, 06:52 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
I know a guy who "upgraded" a focus and won car shows with it...

Not my cup o' tea...
Old 10-23-17, 08:49 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

The lower-model ST is still souped-up and fun compared to a stock focus, kinda more at my price point. Or maybe a mazdaspeed (3).
Old 10-23-17, 09:49 PM
Flatballer
No matches

I like my speed 3. Easy to do a few mods, fast enough I can get in trouble, room to put stuff.
Old 10-23-17, 11:51 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

My gf drives a Mazda 3 Grand Touring and it's a nicely balanced car. I really enjoy driving it. I have a Corolla LE of a similar year and the 3 is better in just about every way.

If I was to spring for a new car I would get a speed 3 or a focus ST.
Old 10-24-17, 04:31 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Originally Posted by TMonk
The lower-model ST is still souped-up and fun compared to a stock focus, kinda more at my price point.
Mine is the base model SE. It's still fun to drive. I'd been in a pickup since '93 - where I lived it was a necessity - and had forgotten how much fun it can be to drive a responsive car.

I thought the ST was the top of the line, glad I've been set straight.

Demain, on roule!
Old 10-24-17, 04:49 AM
Flatballer
No matches

My gf drives a Mazda 3 Grand Touring and it's a nicely balanced car. I really enjoy driving it. I have a Corolla LE of a similar year and the 3 is better in just about every way.

If I was to spring for a new car I would get a speed 3 or a focus ST.
I hope by new you mean used. They aren't making the speed 3 at the moment.
Old 10-24-17, 06:22 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

The vw golf r/gti, Mazda speed3, subie wrx sti and focus rs (and I guess st) are all cars I'd love to get to drive. I think I just like hatchbacks though.

Too bad I actually don't know how to drive a manual lol. Like I get the concept/mechanics and could probably pick it up in like a day, but I've never had an opportunity to learn.
Old 10-24-17, 06:59 AM
himespau 

Unfortunately, at 6'2 (and not as flexible as I used to/should be) I don't fit in these little subcompacts as fun as they sound to drive. My first car was a manual Mercury Lynx that was (I think) ~12 years old at the time. The seat wouldn't go back far enough and the steering wheel wouldn't adjust, so I learned to drive stick bowlegged sort of straddling the steering wheel with my knees at like 9 and 3, but I loved the zippiness and gas mileage, and it was great going up hills in the winter passing all the macho kids in their pickups who'd gotten stuck in the snow/ice because they didn't know how to drive.
Old 10-24-17, 07:04 AM
topflightpro

My father tried to teach me to drive a manual. It was a disaster. I ended up buying a manual for my first car and kind of figured it out on my own, but there was a lot of bucking and stalling before I fully got it.

My father also tried teaching my brother to drive a stick, with similar results.

I took my brother out and had him doing it really well in about two min.
Old 10-24-17, 07:18 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I hope by new you mean used. They aren't making the speed 3 at the moment.
I meant new-to-me, but yeah, you're right, and bummer!
Old 10-24-17, 09:19 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by himespau
Unfortunately, at 6'2 (and not as flexible as I used to/should be) I don't fit in these little subcompacts as fun as they sound to drive. My first car was a manual Mercury Lynx that was (I think) ~12 years old at the time. The seat wouldn't go back far enough and the steering wheel wouldn't adjust, so I learned to drive stick bowlegged sort of straddling the steering wheel with my knees at like 9 and 3, but I loved the zippiness and gas mileage, and it was great going up hills in the winter passing all the macho kids in their pickups who'd gotten stuck in the snow/ice because they didn't know how to drive.
Have you tried to sit in one lately? The Speed3 at least isn't a subcompact, it's more of a mix between a hatchback and a wagon. You won't be putting a child seat behind you (because they take up approximately 700 feet of space, seriously, people wonder why everyone drives giant SUVs when they have kids, try fitting an infant seat or worse a rear facing convertible in a normal car) but you'd fit fine in my car probably. I'm 6 feet and have no problem.

I meant new-to-me, but yeah, you're right, and bummer!
Yeah, I figured. I think I've heard rumors that it'll be back in the next couple years, but I dunno. My main complaint is that it isn't AWD, but with snow tires I'm perfectly fine with FWD. Plus it's fun when the boost hits and the torque steer tries to rip the wheel out of your hands.
Old 10-24-17, 09:36 AM
himespau 

Have you tried to sit in one lately? The Speed3 at least isn't a subcompact, it's more of a mix between a hatchback and a wagon. You won't be putting a child seat behind you (because they take up approximately 700 feet of space, seriously, people wonder why everyone drives giant SUVs when they have kids, try fitting an infant seat or worse a rear facing convertible in a normal car) but you'd fit fine in my car probably. I'm 6 feet and have no problem.
Yeah, that's the thing, I have 2 kids. Fortunately, my youngest just moved to a booster, but still, room is tight. When I bought our current small-ish suv (crappy mitsubishi outlander), the salesmen all got pissed at my wife (also similar height) and I because we said there wasn't enough room in any of the vehicles they were showing us. Needing to move seat back plus car seats just don't work.
Old 10-24-17, 10:54 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

Yeah, I figured. I think I've heard rumors that it'll be back in the next couple years, but I dunno. My main complaint is that it isn't AWD, but with snow tires I'm perfectly fine with FWD. Plus it's fun when the boost hits and the torque steer tries to rip the wheel out of your hands.
When the twins were born, we had to give up our Audi A4 wagon because I couldn't move the seat back far enough to safely work the clutch. Probably could have made it work with an automatic, but it was just too awkward with the manual. And I'm barely 5'10".

We gave in and got a Honda Odyssey. I was totally against it at first, but it is so damn useful and flexible that I wish I'd gotten one a long time ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.