Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone still rocking 1 inch threaded suspension forks on a retro MTB?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-19, 06:15 PM
turtledove

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Dolce Elite, 19?? Avitar Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I've been on the hunt for a 1 inch threaded Manitou or Marzocchi locally (not trusting online sales for this stuff), but I'm having second thoughts about the whole thing. Should I keep my retro bike rigid, or keep looking for a 1 inch threaded fork? If you still have one, what's the experience like, as in maintenance, durability, etc?
Old 05-15-19, 11:48 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Marzocchi for sure for reliability, maybe change the oil every couple years. Also the older Marzocchi forks can usually swap steerer tubes, easily converted to 1". Not a big fan of trying to deal with the guy, but if you google Marzocchi Mark you'll find a guy that rebuilds and sells forks.

My experience is just assume whatever you buy needs to be rebuilt, unless it comes rebuilt from above mentioned dude. I would source seals/bushings, and whatever oil/grease is needed before even buying the fork. Or new elastomer kit if it's a Manitou or something like that.

What length 1" steerer do you need? I have a bunch of older forks, including 1" stuff.
Old 05-16-19, 07:51 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
I do on my '94 Stumpy but threadless. Rocking a Rockshox Indy SL that's just about dead. lol
Old 05-16-19, 10:33 AM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
If you're being practical, stick with rigid. Good for anything up to high-performance mountain biking. Then it's modern bike time.

If you want a period piece, there's no safety reason or anything to not run a decent-shape suspension fork. Parts may be hard to find, knowledge could be sparse, and I wouldn't trust anything from the 90's that's been ridden hard, but if you want to put together a sweet vintage rig an appropriate fork will really make the build, and do a good job on mellow terrain.
Old 05-16-19, 07:42 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
The Mag21 forks were made in 1" and quite a few were made. You have to find the right steerer length though or shorten and re-thread a longer one.

The Mag21 with rubber fork boots could give very long service, I have one still in use, never rebuilt and still holds air perfectly.

Not sure what is available new any more in 1" suspension, since they were superceded by 1-1/8" and threadless all of 25 years ago.

I try to keep a 1" crown/steerer around for any good Mag21 forks that I might find.
Old 05-16-19, 10:05 PM
cheffyjay

Bikes: Masi Gran Criterium, Derosa, Ron Cooper, Davidson, Miyata 912, Le Jeune, Klein Rascals, AMP Research B3, B4, B5, PX10,Holdsworth, Schwinn Paramount, Frejus, Erickson, Simoncini SLX, Cecil Walker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 52 Posts
I think that rigid might be the way to go--the forks that are out there were not all that great, and they are heavy. I have a 1" threadless manitou mach 5 sx with a speedspring conversion on my Klein and it is ok. the elastomers would have been long dead.
Old 05-17-19, 06:32 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Finding a good 1" suspension fork is like finding gold. I have 1" threaded forks on my 88 Nishiki Ariel, a 92 Nishiki Ariel and a 93 Stumpy. The 88 Ariel has a Duo Track with elasotmers so hard it might as well be rigid. The Stumpy has a vintage Judy that's holding up quite well. The best of the group is the Scott, Clark Kent spring fork on the 92 Nishiki. I had it rebuilt a number of years ago and it was well worth it. If you can find one of those in working condition, you ought to pursue it.
Old 05-17-19, 08:02 AM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
I do on my '94 Stumpy but threadless. Rocking a Rockshox Indy SL that's just about dead. lol
Did you know about this place? New elastomers for old shocks, as well as rebuild instructions, manuals :

https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/eshop/index.php
Old 05-17-19, 08:57 AM
Weresquatch

Bikes: Just the normal stuff, cruisers, duilies, fatbike, road bikes, single speeds...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
...I've still got a 1" Mag-21. It's not suspension but I've also got a 1" Tange Switchblade that I think is cooler.
Old 05-17-19, 05:06 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by mixteup
Did you know about this place? New elastomers for old shocks, as well as rebuild instructions, manuals :

https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/eshop/index.php
Yup sure do. Not on my priority list since my Stumpy is only one of my many bikes. Plus I have the original fork that I can easily switch to anyway.
Old 05-18-19, 06:34 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 514 Posts
I have a Univega Alpina S7.3 with threadless 1 inch air suspension fork. There are no markings on it. If there were decals, there is no sign of them. Both legs have schreader valves. It seems to work okay, but I would like to know how to rebuild it. Does anyone know what kind of fork might have been on the bike originally? From pictures, it looks like it could be a Rock Shox.

Last edited by Pompiere; 05-18-19 at 07:07 AM.