Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Floor pump for Presta valves?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-16-20, 11:40 PM
80sTourist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Presta valves are garbage. Utter crap. I'm never getting anywhere near one again. And then I'm never locking my bike to a public rack, to prevent it from catching Presta valves from the bikes around it.

That said, my new touring bike has Presta valves. (Because I was innocent.) Which means, among other things, that I suddenly need a new floor pump.

So, can anybody suggest a floor pump that actually works on this European crap? By that I mean, it seals quickly, easily, and completely to the valve, without my having to sweat and grunt and force for fifteen minutes; doesn't snap off that darling little valve stem; pumps air into the tire; pumps more air into the tire than it lets out of the tire; and finally, releases from the valve quickly and easily, requiring less effort than it takes to bang the back of my hand so hard against the spokes that I can't close my fingers for a week.

Because my current pump, which pumps American valves without drama, can't do any of those things.

Related question: could there be, somewhere on the planet, a pump with a Presta valve head that actually screws on to the stem, using threads such as screws (and Presta stems) have, rather than jamming and cramming and forcing and pounding? Because such futuristic technology would probably solve most of the above problems.

Finally: it would be great if the theoretical pump cost less than a new set of wheels. If you get my drift.
Old 04-16-20, 11:50 PM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
A pump for American valves?

Sounds like you need some sort of Trump Pump.
Likes For Welshboy:
Old 04-17-20, 01:13 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Virtually any floor pump you buy at an actual bike store will fit both presta and schrader valves. I think mine was about $35. Or just buy an adapter for around $.99 . They are probably sitting in a jar on the counter. Presta may not be perfect, but it's not 1/100th as annoying as you seem to think and it works just fine.
Likes For rebel1916:
Old 04-17-20, 01:57 AM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
You can buy the same sized tubes with the schrader valves.
Old 04-17-20, 02:20 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by JayKay3000
But you may have to drill the valve hole to suit the fatter Schrader valve.
Likes For Welshboy:
Old 04-17-20, 02:23 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by JayKay3000
Whilst this is true you'd probably have to drill out the valve hole in the rim somewhat to get the valve through.

If you think Presta valves are bad you've obviously never encountered the Dunlop valves I had on my early bikes. I'd also like to point out that the Schrader valve was invented by a German.

Anyway, to answer your original question, I have a Topeak Joe Blow Sport III pump which is very good. As for the price, if you can get a set of wheels for as little as the £25 I paid for it then they're probably made of cheese.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 04-17-20, 04:44 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
My floor pump from Nashbar is still pumping up presta tubes and is 30+ years old. Lots of cheap floor pumps around. I was surprised to see a selection at Wall Mart.
Just a thought-- Try unscrewing the knurled tip on the valve before adding air.
Old 04-17-20, 06:44 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 429 Posts
Don't forget to "burp" the valve before trying to fill it. If unfamiliar with how to get air into a presta valve, youtube may help. Also, you can buy presta valve adapters so your schrader valve pump head will work--and they are very inexpensive: https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=presta%20valve%20a

Last edited by freeranger; 04-17-20 at 07:05 AM.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 04-17-20, 06:57 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
I had the same problem about ten years ago. So, I bought one of these. It's a really good pump. I've had to replace the rubber o ring once about four years ago. Other than that It's the best pump I've ever owned. (Remember good tools aren't cheap & cheap tools aren't good). If you're serious about the sport buy the tools you need to enjoy it.

https://www.amazon.com/LEZYNE-Steel-...=fsclp_pl_dp_7
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 04-17-20, 07:27 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
I use Topeak Joe Blow Sport pump. It pumps both types of valves . i have not had any problems with Presta valves. The only Schrader valve bike I have is my wife's e bike. The Topeak is easy to use with either. I have had mine(I own 2 of them) for a few years and I use them often, no trouble out of them.
Old 04-17-20, 07:48 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
To the OP I hear your frustration and your humour. A little practice and some advice might help.

Some suggestions. If it is a rubber friction fit, then spit in the end to ease up the friction putting it on and taking it off. I have two 30 year old Silca's that need this technique.

Second, don't open or unscrew the valve all the way out where it is prone to bending. A few turns is enough to let the air out and in.

Third, buy a GOOD pump. I know you hinted an inexpensive pump but you want one that has a good head.

Besides the two Silcas, I have two Joe Blows that work well. The Joe Blow Sport works on every kind of valve and it is easy to use. They are inexpensive. The last pump is a Lezene CNC Floor pump with their latest head. If you go that route make sure it is the latest, the last version was everything you talked about in your post. They should have been arrested releasing that head. The new head of this pump doesn't use friction but actually screws on the the threaded top portion of the valve (the core portion). The best pump I tried was a Specialized that I used at a bike shop. It was the easiest to get on and off and needed few pump stokes to get the tire up to pressure.

Again as others have suggested you could always drill out your rims. Easily done and you get keep the floor pump you already own.

Good luck.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 04-17-20, 08:43 AM
Chubby715

Bikes: Cervelo R5

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 17 Posts
+1 on the Silca floor pump with a presta head. I've had mine for 30+ years and it still does a solid job in getting my tubulars rock hard in about 10 pumps. As freeranger says, let out some air from your tire before putting on the pump head.

30+ year old Silca floor pump made from Columbus tubing
Likes For Chubby715:
Old 04-17-20, 09:07 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by 80sTourist

So, can anybody suggest a floor pump that actually works on this European crap? By that I mean, it seals quickly, easily, and completely to the valve, without my having to sweat and grunt and force for fifteen minutes; doesn't snap off that darling little valve stem; pumps air into the tire; pumps more air into the tire than it lets out of the tire; and finally, releases from the valve quickly and easily, requiring less effort than it takes to bang the back of my hand so hard against the spokes that I can't close my fingers for a week.
Get a Kuwahara Hirame pump head. They have adjustable tightness, the long arm provides a lot of leverage, and they're a pleasure to use.

Related question: could there be, somewhere on the planet, a pump with a Presta valve head that actually screws on to the stem, using threads such as screws (and Presta stems) have, rather than jamming and cramming and forcing and pounding? Because such futuristic technology would probably solve most of the above problems.
The Lezyne chuck screws on, then unscrews removable Presta valve cores if they're not tight.

Finally: it would be great if the theoretical pump cost less than a new set of wheels. If you get my drift.
Kuwahara pump heads are expensive but cost less than wheels provided you're not spending $25 each on amazon.com.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 04-17-20 at 09:10 AM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 04-17-20, 09:18 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
For approx 20 years and more my bikes and trikes have had presta valves. I have had zero problems with them. I have had a Bontager pump for all those years, and it too has been flawless.
Of course it is starting to get down to nit picking, but a rim with a smaller presta hole for the tube will be a stronger rim.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 04-17-20, 09:34 AM
Cdestuck

Bikes: Schwinn

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had them on my bike and not a fan either. Purchased two tubes with schrader valves, drilled out my rims and no more problems. Happy boy.
Old 04-17-20, 10:16 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
I use a Harbor Freight floor pump. Almost all plastic except for the pump shaft and the end pieces $10.99. When filling a fat tire last week, about the 400th stroke, I thought the plunger in the pump was going to melt, but it lasted.It comes with a Presta adapter that doesn't work. I use a 99 cent one I bought when Performance Bike was still in business.
Old 04-17-20, 10:52 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Presta valves are garbage. Utter crap. I'm never getting anywhere near one again. And then I'm never locking my bike to a public rack, to prevent it from catching Presta valves from the bikes around it.

That said, my new touring bike has Presta valves. (Because I was innocent.) Which means, among other things, that I suddenly need a new floor pump.

Because my current pump, which pumps American valves without drama, can't do any of those things.

How does your bike catch valves from neighboring bikes?
If you have a pump that can't handle presta valves, just go to a shop and buy one...it'll be $30-70 and will work just fine with both Schrader and presta.

If it takes 15min to pump tires, YouTube how to do it because you are failing big time.

A very minor part of a hobby shouldn't make you so frustrated.
Old 04-17-20, 11:11 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,244 Times in 717 Posts
I use a Specialized floor pump. The filler head accommodates Schader and Presta valves automatically. I use it for bike, the motorcycle, and the cars. I have had it for eight years and it is still going strong.
Likes For phughes:
Old 04-17-20, 11:25 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Global pandemic? Check.
Most of the world sheltering in place? Mostly checked.
Toilet paper very hard to find? Check!
Gasoline cheap currently? Check.
Presta valves hard to operate? Uh, nope.
Operator error? (Your response here.)
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 04-17-20, 12:34 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
35 or so years ago I spent a little extra to get a Silca Super Pista - other than replacing the donut gasket in the head a couple times (the latest ones which are red rubber are great) and cleaning/regreasing the leather piston last year, it works perfectly with Presta valves - no bending or breaking.
Old 04-17-20, 12:57 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Welshboy
A pump for American valves?

Sounds like you need some sort of Trump Pump.
Hahahahahahahahahhaa
Likes For blue192:
Old 04-17-20, 05:29 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts

I’d be willing to bet that your pump is compatible with Presta valves and you just don’t know it. I’ve never run-across one that wasn’t.
Likes For Ross520:
Old 04-17-20, 08:01 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Cheap Zefal floor pump from Walmart I've used for several years works pretty well on both presta and Schrader. Well - I don't trust the gauge but I have an Accu-gage for that for Presta. And a generic schrader gauge.
Old 04-17-20, 08:11 PM
travelerman

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Likes For travelerman:
Old 04-17-20, 09:17 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
I've never heard any complaints such as yours. I suggest you get together with someone who uses presta and see how that person does it. all the pumps I've ever seen fit both kinds of valves.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.