Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Which bike?

Old 05-16-20, 07:48 AM
Jc08

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which bike?

I have a GT Aggressor Pro. And pro it is... at having issues. I am looking to upgrade to something from a better brand like trek or diamondback. I have no idea at all what to get. I have a very small budget of $800 and live out in a very small town where everything is on a hill. Anyways, if I don’t have a spot to use a mountain bike as it should be used (I mainly ride on road with a little gravel) what should I upgrade to? I don’t want a used bike though.
Old 05-16-20, 09:15 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
A bad time many places to even find a bike shop that isn't sold out of bikes. May be best to call around and see if your LBSs are open or have anything in stock and test ride if they do.
Otherwise changing the bike you have over to street type tires make excellent urban bikes

Old 05-16-20, 09:59 AM
ArchEtech

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Facebook marketplace and Craigslist. Lost of options for $800 since the market is hot right now.

A CX or Gravel bike might be a good All-road since that’s what they are sort of designed for. You can get them geared more like a road bike or like a mountain bike.

Last edited by ArchEtech; 05-16-20 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-16-20, 10:05 AM
veselatakurabii

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I can give you my view - I would buy an old road bike and slap a brand new groupset on it. Neo retro is the way to go for me, there are many excellent old road bikes around and steel...is real!

You will probably fit in your budget if you also sell your current bike or sell the old parts from your new one. I see Shimano 105 R7000 groupset for 600$ in US websites.

I find such a project worth it because you quickly learn everything about bike mechanics, you are involved in it personally and as a result its not just a random bike you picked up at the store.
Old 05-17-20, 09:30 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...-roadbikes.htm

Not a Trek or Specialized, but 50/34 chainrings with 11-34 cassette will get you up some serious hills, and Gatorskins will likely survive a bit of gravel.
Old 05-17-20, 10:51 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Honestly the bike you have looks pretty good. If it is reasonably comfortable and works well, I would try installing some narrower semi-slick tires first as suggested in another post.

While I love my entry level Giant Sedona comfort bike, Low end, which might be what $800 will get even from more popular brands may not be a lot better then what you have now. Mostly different. Which can be a good thing.

Hybrid bikes like Giant's Roam or Escape might be a good bikes to check out if your unsatisfied with your bike after trying it out with quicker tires. These adventure bikes work well on paved roads, gravel, and many trails. I believe they have low enough gears for pretty steep hills and should be within your budget. Trek and Specialized are other brands I trust that probably have similar bikes to Giant's Roam and Escape.