Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Frame pump with flexible valve

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-20, 06:52 PM
TheCharm 

Bikes: 2015 Surly Disc Trucker & 2011 Trek 7.3fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Good day:

I carry a Zefal HPX-4 frame pump on my Disc Trucker as depicted here. I'm looking for a similar frame pump with a flexible length of hose for the valve connector. This pump just affixes to the valve step. It's rigid and (knock wood) it's only happened once where I wasn't minding my aggression and I snapped the valve stem as I was filling a tube after a flat. Whoops. I always carry at least two tubes so I was good, but I'm just looking to mitigate the risk.

My bike has Presta valves, but I'd like the ability to swap to Schrader, as I often stop trailside and help folks get going again and I like options.

I carry a Road Morph on my other bike and it's fine pump, but I'm looking to see if I can find anything that fits on the nub that's underneath my top tube. My top tube is around 550mm, FWIW.

If there's a better forum to solicit ideas on this, let me know. But bike wrenches usually have a good, broad view of what's out there.

Old 08-12-20, 07:16 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
IMO you won't find a better frame pump than what you have. To prevent damaging the valve, position it at the top of the wheel and stabilize the wheel, valve and pump with one hand, operate the pump with the other. I don't have a pump peg so I use a Lezyne mini pump with a hose. The hose presents it's own set of problems because it threads onto the stem. Sometimes the valve core will loosen as the hose is unscrewed.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-12-20, 07:35 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I have fixed a few flats on the side of the road with LEZYNE Sport Drive HV Bicycle Hand Pump. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-13-20, 02:09 AM
TheCharm 

Bikes: 2015 Surly Disc Trucker & 2011 Trek 7.3fx

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
IMO you won't find a better frame pump than what you have. To prevent damaging the valve, position it at the top of the wheel and stabilize the wheel, valve and pump with one hand, operate the pump with the other. I don't have a pump peg so I use a Lezyne mini pump with a hose. The hose presents it's own set of problems because it threads onto the stem. Sometimes the valve core will loosen as the hose is unscrewed.
OK, got it. It is a nice pump - seems to move a decent amount of air. I typically run my tires around 65-70 psi and never have any trouble getting them up to pressure. If I'm using this trail or roadside, I'm fixing a flat and typically pump it up before I put it back on the bike. But maybe that will be a necessary step to mitigate the risk of a snapped valve.
Old 08-13-20, 05:35 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
You don't need to put the wheel back on the bike. I probably didn't describe it properly. Hold it however is comfortable and you can get a solid grip on everything.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-13-20, 06:09 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Lezyne mini pumps FTW - flexible swappable (Presta/Schrader) head that lives conveniently in the pump with a way smaller footprint of your old school baton frame pump. Comes in either HP or HV so select based on your intended use. They're the only mini pumps I use now and I've had many since the 90s. Avoid the digital pressure gage versions - those tend to crap out after a while. Stay analog!!!
Old 08-13-20, 06:41 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I don't have a pump peg so I use a Lezyne mini pump with a hose. The hose presents it's own set of problems because it threads onto the stem. Sometimes the valve core will loosen as the hose is unscrewed.
That is exactly the problem I ran into using my Lezyne Road Drive mini-pump. After 150 strokes to get reasonable pressure, unscrewing the hose also unscrewed the valve core and both it and all the air came out. GRRRRRR. Otherwise it's a good, well made pump.

For me the optimum combination is a mini-pump used to do the initial inflation to say 20 psi just to assure the tire is seated and the tube holds pressure. Then I use a 16gm threaded C02 cylinder with a screw on valve head to bring the tire to full pressure. Much less work and no threat to the valve stem. Those cartridges are obscenely expensive if bought at a bike shop but not bad if bought in boxes of 20 or so from Amazon. My mini-pump, the CO2 valve and three cartridges weigh less than a Road Morphe.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 08-13-20, 06:55 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
That is exactly the problem I ran into using my Lezyne Road Drive mini-pump. After 150 strokes to get reasonable pressure, unscrewing the hose also unscrewed the valve core and both it and all the air came out. GRRRRRR. Otherwise it's a good, well made pump.
I found that the trick is letting the pressure out of the hose. The newer versions from Lezyne have a bleed valve, but you can achieve the same effect on most models by unscrewing the hose from the pump first and then unscrewing the hose from the valve.

I really like the valve on the Silca Tattico, but it doesn’t do Schrader valves.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 08-13-20, 08:21 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I've never used one but Lezyne also makes frame mounted "floor pumps" with screw on hoses

https://www.backcountry.com/lezyne-m...xoCks4QAvD_BwE

By the way, on that Zefal pump I grab the base of the pump with my left hand than loop my thumb over the top of the tire. That not only prevents shear forces on the stem but it allows pushing the stem out of the rim hole to get a better grip.
Old 08-13-20, 08:29 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
I found that the trick is letting the pressure out of the hose. The newer versions from Lezyne have a bleed valve, but you can achieve the same effect on most models by unscrewing the hose from the pump first and then unscrewing the hose from the valve.
Mine has the bleed button but that didn't help. The threaded chuck still caught the valve stem and unscrewed it completely.
Old 08-13-20, 08:51 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I had the same problem, breaking stems, with traditional static-head frame pumps. Then I saw this Schwinn pump in a department store and thought I'd give it a try. The head/hose retract into the pump piston rod. The head is both Schreader and Presta. No more broken stems, and I'm able to pump a road bike tire up to desired psi. I wish I had gotten several of them...one for each bike. I've never seen them again, and can't find it on the interwebs. There are no other identifiying markings on it...i.e. part number, etc...just the SCHWINN name.
FWIW...I have also made my own extension hoses using a Schreader-Presta adapter, the the Presta valve stem from an old tube...and some good glue that have worked. But, broken valve stems is also part of the reason why finally started carrying a CO₂ inflation system with me.

Dan

Old 08-13-20, 09:33 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
BITD We Hung the wheel from the pump with valve at 12:00 so not pushing the valve stem sideways

the pump head can have something behind it..

A more careful technique can be learned..
Old 08-13-20, 10:42 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I have good luck with this one and it is repairable when necessary(once in 20 years).
https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product...-morph%C2%AE-g