Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Opinon needed on chainring wear?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-20, 12:39 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts

So I rode to my lbs to have some coffee and bs a bit. The mech said to me I should really think about replacing my chainrings. I was thinking about doing it this winter because my power meter has been acting up just a bit but he was telling me I shouldn't wait.

So opinions..should I wait, so I do it now or should I go longer yet and replacing it prematurely all together? Shifting has been ok as far as I can tell but I don't use the small ring very often.. If it wasn't for the power meter starting to act up I probably wouldn't even have noticed it at all.

A few pics:
I hope they are clear enough, I tired to put a white background on them so they can be seen better.

Old 08-21-20, 05:44 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
If you're not having issues with shifting or chain skipping, I can't see much reason to replace them. Are you wearing out chains & cassettes faster than before? That's the only other reason I can see as to why you would want to replace the chain rings. Whenever you decide to replace the chain rings, I would make sure to also change the chain & cassette at the same time, and consider the jockey wheels, too.
Likes For BoraxKid:
Old 08-21-20, 06:21 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by BoraxKid
If you're not having issues with shifting or chain skipping, I can't see much reason to replace them. Are you wearing out chains & cassettes faster than before? That's the only other reason I can see as to why you would want to replace the chain rings. Whenever you decide to replace the chain rings, I would make sure to also change the chain & cassette at the same time, and consider the jockey wheels, too.
appreciate the response. Nope, no early chain wear and shifting is doing ok as far as I can tel. When I do replace yes, I swap it all out front and rear.

I am really hoping the power meter holds on longer so I don't need to drop that cash. I really like having a power meter.
Old 08-21-20, 07:23 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
That wouldn't blip my radar. Warn chainrings look real pointy on the tops of the teeth. Those are still nice and round.
Old 08-21-20, 07:40 PM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
Meh, I wouldn’t bother replacing chain rings because of his recommendation. Worn teeth tend to look like shark fins - kinda pointy on top with a slight curve in the tooth.

Definitely replace the chain and cassette as previous posters mentioned as the drivetrain components wear in unison. If you’ve ever installed a new chain on an old cassette, you know what mean.
Likes For BHG6:
Old 08-21-20, 08:42 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by BHG6
If you’ve ever installed a new chain on an old cassette, you know what mean.
sure do!

Thanks for all the replies! It is a bike shop trying to get me to spend money so I should know better
Old 08-21-20, 09:00 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Some Chainring and cassette teeth often look more worn than others, but are intentionally cut differently to aid in shifting. The smaller teeth help the chain grab during a shift.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 08-22-20, 06:33 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Don't know it is so much trying to sell parts as just a different level of perceived maintenance.