Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Can someone explain the attraction to me?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Can someone explain the attraction to me?

Old 12-15-09, 08:39 PM
countersTrike
Recumbent Trike

Bikes: WizWheelz TerraTrike with Velo-Kit & 24V motor, completely enclosed (fiberglass/kevlar & Lexan) EZ SX Tad with 36V motor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AllenG
. The e-bikes must have an electric motor that has a power output less than 1,000 watts, is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on level ground, is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour, operates in a manner so that the electric motor is disengaged or ceases to function when the brakes are applied, or operates in a manner such that the motor is engaged through a switch or mechanism that, when released, will cause the electric motor to disengage or cease to function.
A motorized bicycle is not a motor vehicle.i]
That may be where I saw the 20 mph limit, and the fact about turning off the motor or overpowering uphill or accelerating but remaining under 20 mph it then it is human powered.
Old 12-16-09, 02:47 PM
Zephyr Boy
California dreaming...

Bikes: a cheapie-GreenLine-BC-706 Men Shimano Tourney 7-Speed (Flat Black) Beach Cruiser-no stickers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My e-bike is like an urban horse to me but with the added benefit of physical fitness. Wherever my adventureous spirit wants to go for the day, my e-bike is there to get me where I want to go. Just hop on it for a few hours, hit the streets, go off-roading, go to the pub, go to the beach, go to the local mountains, go to downtown Los Angeles, go check out current events without dealing with congested traffic and poor parking spots (I always get to park closest to the entrance). It's fun to ride, the winds in my face, freedom with little effort... plus I get a healthier body.
Old 12-30-09, 09:43 AM
alexkelley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTc37DRMKeo

This video answers this thread's original question pretty well.
Old 12-30-09, 10:03 AM
Elkhound

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Those of us who live in extremely hilly areas--West Virginia, in my case--appreciate a little assistance. While few of our hills are impossible for young, fit, atheletic cyclists on lightweight machines, for a middle-aged person attempting to haul a week's worth of groceries, that is another matter. My Big Dummy has a Stokemonkey on it, which has made parts of the city taht were inaccessible by bike, accessible, and loads that were not doable by bike, doable.
Old 12-31-09, 08:44 PM
SoSauty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yeah, I love my e-bike. Love to call out, "Great day to get in shape!" as I pass the bikers guys wearing their little spandex lycross tights; or "Glad this is downhill!" on the gentle upgrade to campus.
Old 01-23-10, 01:52 AM
geetarboy
e-biker

Bikes: schwinn searcher 500watt rearhub 36volt lifepo4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What more can be said to the person who started this thread? If they're even still following it??? At least... all of us who love to e-bike know why, and I guess that's all that's important!
Old 01-23-10, 06:13 PM
JerryTheSpinner
Jerry the Spinner

Bikes: Montague with Currie 450W kit, IZIP Twist and Go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Exit.
I don't get the e-bike thing. Beyond not having to pedal, what advantage is there over a normal bike? From what I've seen, the price of these things is enormous compared to that of a regular bike, and all you get for your money is...less exercise.

I don't want to get anyone riled up, I'm not here to crap on your hobby, I'm just legitimately curious as to why anyone with a reasonable level of physical fitness would choose an e-bike over a conventional bike. Is there something I'm missing?
I live in New York and my commute is 14 Miles each way. There are some crazy hills and sometimes very strong winds. If I did not have a Ebike I would have to have rest days. I only use the motor between 15% to 35% depending on the weather and how I am feeling. I also have been commuting this winter and I noticed that out of 15 bikers who normally bike in by my office building it is down to 2 bikers. Obviously when the weather gets cold, windy or rainy bikers tend to stop biking. With an Ebike I am able to commute in any condition. My goal is in 2 years to be in good enough shape to use a regular bike on normal days. However, when I have to deal with 20 to 30 mile per hour winds. I will always take my Ebike. I am also giving back my leased car at the end of the month and buying a Trek Ebike. The difference in cost is:
Car -Car Lease=350,Insurance=150,gas=175,parking=480, Tolls =200 Total Monthly = $1,355. Yearly = $16,260.
Ebike Car Lease=0,Insurance=0,gas=0,parking=0, Tolls =0 Charging Battery=3.50 Total Monthly = $3.50. Yearly = $42

Old 01-27-10, 03:51 AM
morph999 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More? Maybe some people, but I don't think I would. Faster? Almost certainly not, because you come to rely on the motor, and get lazy, and end up just coasting on the dinky motor power. ?
Dinky motor? My bike goes 28 mph on 36v and 35 mph on 48v. I doubt you'd be able to keep up. Maybe for about 500 ft but I would soon leave you in the dust.
Old 05-05-10, 07:25 AM
devartt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my eBike (BionX powered Catrike) because a few years ago, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, kidney failure, high blood pressure and a few other things to boot. Needless to say, this took me from a fairly active lifestyle to a very sedentary one. For a number of years, I had trouble even walking a hundred yards. When I tried riding my bike I got so dizzy that I became afraid to ride for fear of losing control and crashing.

I've always enjoyed cycling but these medical issues just made it nearly impossible to do anything but sit around. I bought my eBike solely as a means to fight my way back to some reasonably healthy state. I've only had it for a little over a month, but I try to get out on the weekends when the weather cooperates.

The eBike allows me to ride as much as I can tolerate. the assist helps me keep a reasonable cadence and yes, I do cruise when I get too tired to pedal, which is a lot. I also use it a lot on hills for the obvious reasons.

Still, it allows me to get out and get some exercise, allows me to socialize with bike friends, let's me enjoy a limited amount of bike events and I think, over time it is doing wonders.

I can't pedal unassisted for more than a few miles right now, but I can do 20-25 miles in various levels of assist on rolling terrain without feeling like it's killing me (though it does feel like I ran a marathon for the next 24 hours or so).

I think the doctors have eliminated the dizziness as it's been about a year since they adjusted my meds and that problem went away. I like the trike though, and will keep it just in case.

I'm hoping to get to the point where I can do a century, assisted or not. It may never happen, but I for one am happy to be able to get out in the world a bit more and am currently looking for low daily mileage (30-40) supported tours to help me in my quest.

BTW, I've yet to have anybody notice that I'm on an electric bike. Except when I'm going up a hill, I'm usually pedaling and the catrike is exotic enough that everyone notices THAT. I usually tell people who ask about the bike, but because the battery is in a bag, the controller kind of hidden, and the motor is in the hub, most people can't tell. And yes, I love chasing groups of cyclists in full cruise/assist just seeing how long I can keep up. Hey, life's little pleasures are where you find them.
Old 05-05-10, 07:54 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
I don't get the e-bike thing. Beyond not having to pedal, what advantage is there over a normal bike? From what I've seen, the price of these things is enormous compared to that of a regular bike, and all you get for your money is...less exercise.

I don't want to get anyone riled up, I'm not here to crap on your hobby, I'm just legitimately curious as to why anyone with a reasonable level of physical fitness would choose an e-bike over a conventional bike. Is there something I'm missing?
They are wicked fun and make you feel like a hero.

I work for a Trek dealer, went to Trek World last year where they had a fleet of the new RIDE+ bikes out for demo. Attendees were generally long-time, jaded bike shop owners and employees. Every single person who rode the RIDE+ bikes, even those who were skeptical, had a huge grin on their face while tooling around on the ebikes. Same thing with shop employees--see the bike, get sour/skeptical look on face, take it for a ride, grin.

Imagine a triplet bike, with three of you pedaling, except it is the weight and wheelbase of a solo bike and you don't have the added weight of two of you. Or maybe a tandem with you and an invisible, weightless Lance Armstrong as your stoker.
Old 05-05-10, 10:02 AM
in-control

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Zephyr Boy
My e-bike is like an urban horse to me but with the added benefit of physical fitness. Wherever my adventureous spirit wants to go for the day, my e-bike is there to get me where I want to go. Just hop on it for a few hours, hit the streets, go off-roading, go to the pub, go to the beach, go to the local mountains, go to downtown Los Angeles, go check out current events without dealing with congested traffic and poor parking spots (I always get to park closest to the entrance). It's fun to ride, the winds in my face, freedom with little effort... plus I get a healthier body.

DIDO! Except for the Angles part. I also run as many errands as possible with it, exchanging car/van miles. I figure that I will lead by example and if people want to know more then they can simply ask.
Old 05-05-10, 10:18 AM
yopappamon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to pedal bike to work, 4 miles. When I got there I was sweaty and had to clean up (there is no shower at work). It would take about an hour for my mental energy level to return to adequate level to perform my focus intensive work. At my age and fitness level, I could only ride 2 -3 days a week.

The electric bike was the perfect solution. I can now bike everyday. I love being outside. I can pedal if I feel like it, ride if I don't. I arrive at work fresh enough and with enough energy to start work immediately.

I would never bike after hours or weekends, now I go on 20+ mile treks exploring the many bike trails.
Old 05-05-10, 01:00 PM
Geekybiker
E-Folder

Bikes: Dahon Speed D7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got mine for my communte

1) There are some serious headwinds near the lake in Chicago. My Ebike changed an exhausting 3rd gear ride into a 7th gear (out of 7) breeze
2) Its super humid in the summer. Arriving soaked in sweat to work really isn't an option. I still pedal, but its like coasting downhill at all times.
3) When your effort is minimal on the bike, its alot easier to plan what you want to wear for the day. Ebike means you can wear what you'd wear outside for a short walk. Pedaling hard meant I had to think about layers and carry a whole lot more clothes with me.

Sure there are other reasons to own one, but those are my main 'why I bought it' ones.

There is a huge difference in low power bikes like mine or most of the commercial 250w ones and some of the high power homebrew ones. The lower power ones essentially still operate like a bicycle in terms of requiring rider input, and over all speed. The higher power ones really operate more like a moped or something. There are perfectly valid reasons for those too of course.
Old 05-05-10, 01:50 PM
morph999 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you ever driven 5 miles in traffic on a regular bike? Not really fun. I prefer to go with traffic at least a little bit. Also, having a recurring leg injury prevents me from pedaling sometimes. It's not really fun to pedal a bike on an 85 degree day anyway.
Old 05-06-10, 09:32 PM
El Duderino X
Hrumph!

Bikes: 2007 Dahon Cadenza w/ Alfine IGH11, modified MEC Desire w/Alfine IGH8,+ 2 ebikes: Bionx PL350 & 36V eZee FHB/Tidalforce frames.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few weeks back some fellow cyclist waiting beside me at a light asked if my bike was electric. I replied that yes it is (Dahon Cadenza w/ Bionx). He sneered, sighed and shook his head at me.

Clearly, he was (probably still is) a jerk. :shrug:
Old 05-07-10, 02:11 PM
in-control

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Duderino X
A few weeks back some fellow cyclist waiting beside me at a light asked if my bike was electric. I replied that yes it is (Dahon Cadenza w/ Bionx). He sneered, sighed and shook his head at me.

Amazing - I get the same look from pickup truck drivers with Harley stickers on their windshields when I ride my scooter. They give me that smart look like I am strange. I think - so why are you not riding your your Harley? At the end of the day I am happy and really fell that there ignorance is there loss! The real measure for me is if I get one person to consider riding to work on a bike, powered or not, it's a major win for us all!
Old 05-08-10, 12:12 AM
WilliamH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to thank Exit for putting these questions out of the open. I have never owned an electric-assisted bike before and now, thanks to all the discussions that has happened on here, I am seriously going to check out my options for an ebike rather than get me my next car.
Old 05-09-10, 12:17 PM
bmt074

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny- I sort of had the same attitude as Exit until I actually tried an electric bike. Beyond everything else the electric bike was a lot of fun - you press the throttle and take off at 20 mph in total silence. If you gear your bike right you can go quite a bit faster than that with peddle assist.

I love cycling - I commute to work every day, often do 40+ mile rides and have no trouble climbing hills but I am building an electric bike to use as a secondary bike mainly because it is fun.
Old 05-29-10, 05:41 PM
GeorgeGMK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by devartt
I bought my eBike (BionX powered Catrike) because a few years ago, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, kidney failure, high blood pressure and a few other things to boot. . . . . Hey, life's little pleasures are where you find them.
Devartt, you are so right. I've got heart problems also, so I understand fully where you are coming from!

I have an ICE recumbent Trike, and will soon add a BionX unit to it. And, when we are there at the shop (Utah Trikes), my wife is getting a Catrike Villager, also with BionX electric-assist. We're in our 60's, and really will finally enjoy being able to go uphill for 3 miles back to our home from the main bike trails down in the river valley. So instead of staying on level trails close to home, now we can go for many miles out. It will be so much fun. And that's what it's all about.
Old 05-29-10, 05:46 PM
GeorgeGMK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There will always be "purist" bikers, like in many outdoor sports such as mountain climbing, who judge eachother mainly by "doing" that mountain, or "doing" the 50km race, or whatever. Many of them are totally obsessed with their physical condition and abilities, and that type of person is most probably the one who sneered at you. But they're going to have to get used to e-power bicyclists and older folks now, because "times, they are-a-changing". Yeah!
Old 05-31-10, 08:52 AM
SeizeTech

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

'not having to pedal' is not exclusive to electric bicycles, on a normal bike its called 'coasting'

the only real advantage that i have with an electric bike, is it allows me more time in the saddle, therefore i get more exercise.

my commute to work is 26km, if i do it with a normal bike, i dont have the strength to return home in the same day. as you can imagine, its not a trip i could be making on a regular basis.

yet, with my electric bike, i still break a sweat, i have the strength to return home on the same day. Most importantly, i am able to repeat that ride several times per week.

I understand that there are some that would like to see me park my electric bike, but what they dont understand is that would mean that i'd be parking my cycling helmet too. ie I'd spend more time in a car.

I dont think either one of us wants me spending more time in a car.
Old 05-31-10, 09:02 AM
SeizeTech

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

ussually they say 'hello' when i pass them.

then once they realize that they just got passed by an ebike, they pass me again.

ussually they dont say 'hello, again' because they are breathing too hard.
Old 05-31-10, 08:17 PM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SeizeTech
ussually they dont say 'hello, again' because they are breathing too hard.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Maybe some just want to get from point A to point B as easily as possible. Others like to improve their physical fitness.
Old 05-31-10, 08:48 PM
ChargerDawg

Bikes: Madone 5.9, Sequoia, World Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Since you are an avid biker as you indicated in your other post, I suggest the following experiment will provide some enlightenment.

Go get yourself a backpack. Put 3 x 20 pound weights in it and put on a couple of 5 lb ankle weights. Go for a ride on a course that has hills.

Then you may gain an appreciation as to the simple laws of physics, up hill is significantly harder, and downhill is amazingly easy.

As pointed out by others, there are a lot of 1500 to 3000 dollar bikes out their. The main purpose of the investment is to get a lighter, and faster machine with less rolling resistance.

It is one thing to consider an e-commute if you live in a flat area, but if you have terrain to deal with, the ebike begins to make sense.
Old 06-23-10, 03:33 PM
HQQKEM
Slow Swimmer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kbdog
I don't feel threatened by the question as it's legitimate. I think I would have wondered the same thing in my twenties. Now that I'm in my sixties, I find that it's a great way to get outside and not be daunted by the large hills that previously put me off. I have ended up using my bike far more than before which is a good thing. Living directly on a bike trail makes it easy for me to get outside while the motor flattens the hills. I try to see how little battery I can use on trips.
This^^^