Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

sizing important

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

sizing important

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-13, 07:27 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
sizing important

just a quick tip, initial sizing of a bike is really important. you need to know your size before you buy. I recently got reacquainted with this fact acquiring bike(s) intended for my petite wife and the 1st bike wasn't quite petite enough. she takes a 15" frame and chatting on the phone with sellers of used bikes who may or may not have measured the right parts accurately led to getting 1 bike too big and having to buy a 2nd bike just to get it right. my son wound up with a newer used bike cuz the 1st one I bought was a 17.5" frame.

Last edited by rumrunn6; 06-18-13 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-17-13, 10:53 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Sizing is important - I have three bikes that are all positioned for comfort - Few moths ago I went out and took a tape measure to them and found them all to be withing one centimetre the same on positioning of bars, seat and pedals - It would appear that my old bones sized the bikes with the simple feedback of pain...
Old 06-17-13, 06:24 PM
BikeFitPro

Bikes: We love all bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Many good shops are fine without a sizing bike but some cyclists might really benefit from a sizing. Sounds like you shared a good example. A bike fit goes much better and easier when the size of the bike is correct. Slowtwitch / F.I.S.T. had a good sizing program. Maybe look for someone with Slowtwitch experience. Keep in mind when it comes to the fitting however you would want to look for a fitter with more training than just sizing.
Old 06-23-13, 09:45 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
SNIP >>>> It would appear that my old bones sized the bikes with the simple feedback of pain...
I might be positive and say that is "senior intelligence". At least that is what I keep telling myself.