Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New project! 1983 Diamond Back Ridge Runner

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New project! 1983 Diamond Back Ridge Runner

Old 11-07-17, 04:04 PM
AustinFitz

Bikes: 1984 Centurion Elite GT 15, 1985 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott, 1983 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 1985 Mongoose ATB, 1987 Ross Centaur, 1986 Raleigh Marathon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I'm the one who's coming across like a dick- and I've re-written each of those posts over again to try not to sound like a dick... and then I read it after I post and roll my eyes at myself.

So much most everything Suntour did was so cool. No shifting solution is as cool as Command Shifters. The quality of the XC Pro stuff is so much nicer than XT or XTR. I can't find my chain takeup pix I did when I fell in love with my XC 3 pulley- it's ridiculous how much chain that elbow takes up. But the "tech" RDs are solutions to problems that didn't exist. Complicated for the sake of being complicated.
Haha don't worry about it man. I'm not offended at all. You're definitely not the first person to suggest I lose the Mountech. I've repeatedly heard the whole "Tech" series was an overly complicated solution in search of a problem. I'm still on the fence about using the Superbe Tech on the DB. Only reason I'm hesitant with that one is the cable guide that's specifically designed for that RD.

I will say that I've always been interested in that 3 pulley design... It's just so different looking! I've been doing a little more research on them, and I'm leaning towards that as a replacement for the Centurion. That's the bike I'm most worried about having setup right. It's my favorite rider by far.
Old 01-05-18, 09:08 PM
AustinFitz

Bikes: 1984 Centurion Elite GT 15, 1985 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott, 1983 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 1985 Mongoose ATB, 1987 Ross Centaur, 1986 Raleigh Marathon

Happy new year everyone!!! Really looking forward to getting back into this build as my first project of 2018. I haven't really done anything with it since fixing the broken RD spring. I did play around a little with some different stems and drop bars just for fun. Still unsure which direction I'm going to take, but I'll build it up with the original bullmoose bars first since I have all the original parts for that.
Old 01-06-18, 07:36 PM
simmonsgc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinFitz
Happy new year everyone!!! Really looking forward to getting back into this build as my first project of 2018. I haven't really done anything with it since fixing the broken RD spring. I did play around a little with some different stems and drop bars just for fun. Still unsure which direction I'm going to take, but I'll build it up with the original bullmoose bars first since I have all the original parts for that.
Be sure to post pics! Everyone's waiting to see how it comes out....

Happy new year to you, too.
Old 01-11-18, 11:52 PM
AustinFitz

Originally Posted by simmonsgc
Be sure to post pics! Everyone's waiting to see how it comes out..
Will do! Being the night owl that I am I'm planning to finish disassembling it tonight. I'll post up some good pics of the frame and fork once I get them cleaned up.
Old 01-12-18, 12:27 AM
AustinFitz

Got her up on the stand and ready to tear down! Still has some drop bars and a few other random bits on it that I was playing around with a few weeks ago, but they won't be staying. I'm definitely going with the original bullmoose bars at least for the first build up.

Old 01-12-18, 06:10 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
The bull moose ride will be so much the nicer with these early mtbs.
Old 01-12-18, 07:34 AM
AustinFitz

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
The bull moose ride will be so much the nicer with these early mtbs.
I agree. I think in order for drop bars to both look, and handle decently on this bike they would have to be super wide, and used with a relatively short reach stem. I have neither of those on hand, and I already have a very nice drop bar touring bike that I love anyway. A bullmoose MTB is something I don't already have in my stable.

I did get it completely stripped down last night, but haven't gotten to clean the frame and fork at all yet. Everything came apart a lot easier than I was expecting considering it's condition. I did run into one snag though. That's the reason I haven't gotten anything cleaned up yet. I knew things were going suspiciously well.

The last parts I went to remove were the 2 adjustment screws on the rear dropouts. Of course one of them decided to snap off in the frame, so I spent most of the night fighting with that...

Finally got it drilled out without damaging anything though! After dealing with that all night my next tool purchase will be one of those "easy-out" kits for my drill. That really would have made the job a whole lot easier!

I'm back on track now though, and getting ready to give the frame and fork a good wash job. Pics to come shortly!
Old 01-12-18, 07:56 AM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Finally got it drilled out without damaging anything though! After dealing with that all night my next tool purchase will be one of those "easy-out" kits for my drill. That really would have made the job a whole lot easier!

I'm back on track now though, and getting ready to give the frame and fork a good wash job. Pics to come shortly!
Harbor Freight's got a decent set, FYI. I've got that if you find yourself needing it before you purchase it for yourself.
Looks like a fun bike!
Old 01-12-18, 10:17 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
I know I'm repeating myself, but I dig those bull moose bars. I'm glad you're leaving them.
Old 01-13-18, 02:38 AM
AustinFitz

Originally Posted by Jadesfire
Harbor Freight's got a decent set, FYI. I've got that if you find yourself needing it before you purchase it for yourself.
Looks like a fun bike!
Thank you, I appreciate that! Good to know!

Originally Posted by texaspandj
I know I'm repeating myself, but I dig those bull moose bars. I'm glad you're leaving them.
I'm really digging them too now. At first I kept feeling like it needed drop bars, but I couldn't decide. Finally I just went ahead and tried a few different drop bar and stem combos out before I really got started working on it, and I really wasn't liking it, so that made up my mind.

I really didn't get as much work done yesterday as I would've liked to, but I did at least get around to cleaning up the frame and fork. Nothing major. Just an initial soap and warm water cleaning to knock the first couple of layers of neglect off. It's pretty beat up with tons of scratches, missing paint, and surface rust. The top tube is the worst of it. Fortunately the inside of the frame doesn't look too bad as far as rust goes. It's definitely been neglected for a LONG time, but after spending a little time with it I've become quite attached to it, and I really want to show it some love! I plan to add fenders and use it as a wet weather bike anyway, so the patina doesn't bother me although I will have to do something about stopping as much of the rust as possible. I'm confident this one is going to be a keeper though!

Old 01-13-18, 06:28 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Beautiful! Man I really like it.
You have two practically pristine Centurions, so one with scars is cool.

If it were me and since I lack the patience to make it original I would :
Treat any rust with rust remover. Then access, touch up paint and clear coat or just clear coat.
BTW I dig those tires that were on there too. Your bike seems to be rare and unique, I'm envious.
Keep it going, and please more pics of your progression.
Old 01-30-18, 03:47 AM
AustinFitz

Oh, I like the little gizmo-y things... but that stops when it comes to my derailleur deciding to throw itself into the spokes through no fault of my own, when it's 5, 10, 20, 150 or however many miles from home.

I've thrown a derailleur into my spokes through faults of my own... I ONLY had to walk only a mile home carrying the rear end of the bike, and that sucked. Plenty of time for me to rationalize my poor decision making...

I think Suntour tried to get way too cute with it. You want a Suntour triple pivot that won't blow up on you? Try LeTech. Or better yet, a 2nd generation Mountech with the 13T pulley instead of the enclosed blowey-uppy-pulley. Just as cool, probably more rare and that bigazz pulley is pretty cool.

But even WAYYYYY BETTER- a Cyclone MII GT or an XC Comp or XC Pro... no useless 3rd pivot and a well proven record of reliability, rugged good looks and badassery... sounds like I'm talking about a lumberjack or something...

But for unique and badass and working well... Any of the Suntour triple pulley derailleurs are fantastic.

You may notice most of these derailleurs are on one bike- I've swapped out the derailleur on my 720 bunches of times, I've used XTR, XT, Duopar, Cyclone, Cyclone MII, XC Pro, XC Comp, LeTech, XC, and now Dura Ace on this bike. Maybe I'm even missing a few.

If I wasn't going with a 10 speed indexing system, I would have probably kept the triple pulley Suntour XC on there. It shifted as nicely as anything- I would say it was a tie between the Duopar and the XC triple pulley- and the triple pulley never hosed on me like the Duopar did. I did up the lower 2 pulleys with red Bullseyes and the jockey pulley as a "titanium" colored Bullseye- that was badass.

My Stumpjumper came to me with an M735 XT RD and an LX/Weinmann rear wheel, and the stock front wheel. The stock RD would have been an 1st gen Mountech. It doesn't take much to tell me that RD blew up sometime in the early 90s and the whole rear wheel needed to be replaced. The original owner of that bike told me that was his commuter. It wasn't a dirt bike, that was his "ride over the Golden Gate Bridge on his way to work 5 days a week" bike.

Yeah it's cute to have a death defying derailleur on there. Yeah, it's cute to say you taunt fate instead of tempting it. While the bike is a whole lot for lookin' good, it's more for riding. But you're not riding and you're not looking good with your RD tucked into your spokes and cussing out words sailors don't even know.
Well after our discussion in this thread about the Mountech RD on my Elite GT 15 I couldn't stop worrying about the RD while out riding the bike, and that really bugged me... I started looking for a replacement, and put a lot of thought into it! I wanted something that was really unusual and interesting, and while not mandatory, I kind of wanted something that was period correct as well.

I had it pretty much narrowed down to the 2nd gen Mountech, any of the various 3 pulley designs, and the Le Tech. Since my search began I only came across one 3 pulley on ebay, but it was way too expensive. Found a couple of decent 2nd gen Mountechs, but they were pretty pricey as well, and I really just wasn't liking the look with the big black line across the front.

Then I got a tip about a guy who might have a Le Tech for sale. I contacted him on FB and after a few messages back and forth I managed to score this super clean Le Tech at a price that I can live with! Seller said it was only really used on a display. It's missing it's cable clamp bolt, and the flat backing nut, but the seller is including a couple of different bolts from other SunTour derailleurs that should fit. I'm hoping that the little flat backing nut is the same as the one on my Mountech so I can just use that.

I haven't received it yet, but here are some pics of it. I think it's beautiful!

Old 01-30-18, 07:47 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 926 Posts
Well after our discussion in this thread about the Mountech RD on my Elite GT 15 I couldn't stop worrying about the RD while out riding the bike, and that really bugged me... I started looking for a replacement, and put a lot of thought into it! I wanted something that was really unusual and interesting, and while not mandatory, I kind of wanted something that was period correct as well.

I had it pretty much narrowed down to the 2nd gen Mountech, any of the various 3 pulley designs, and the Le Tech. Since my search began I only came across one 3 pulley on ebay, but it was way too expensive. Found a couple of decent 2nd gen Mountechs, but they were pretty pricey as well, and I really just wasn't liking the look with the big black line across the front.

Then I got a tip about a guy who might have a Le Tech for sale. I contacted him on FB and after a few messages back and forth I managed to score this super clean Le Tech at a price that I can live with! Seller said it was only really used on a display. It's missing it's cable clamp bolt, and the flat backing nut, but the seller is including a couple of different bolts from other SunTour derailleurs that should fit. I'm hoping that the little flat backing nut is the same as the one on my Mountech so I can just use that.

I haven't received it yet, but here are some pics of it. I think it's beautiful!

You see what makes the LeTech so much cooler?

The regular jockey pulley. There’s still the whole goofy 3rd pivot- completely and wholly unnecessary- one more thing to break and go wrong.

I’ve got a LeTech on my Voyageur SP- it shifts nice on a 5 speed block- but it’s been goofy about 6 before (which is why it went back to the VSP- it’s too cool to not use, but it seems to favor 5 speed). If I start riding that bike more this year, the 3 pulley XC is going on there!

FWIW- this time period of Suntour used ink/screening on the derailleurs that is somewhat fragile. Looking at it too intently will cause the screening to come off. I put clear nail polish on mine (and my Cyclone MII) to protect it.

It’ll be glorious! I can’t wait for pix!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 01-30-18, 09:52 AM
AustinFitz

You see what makes the LeTech so much cooler?

The regular jockey pulley. There’s still the whole goofy 3rd pivot- completely and wholly unnecessary- one more thing to break and go wrong.

I’ve got a LeTech on my Voyageur SP- it shifts nice on a 5 speed block- but it’s been goofy about 6 before (which is why it went back to the VSP- it’s too cool to not use, but it seems to favor 5 speed). If I start riding that bike more this year, the 3 pulley XC is going on there!

FWIW- this time period of Suntour used ink/screening on the derailleurs that is somewhat fragile. Looking at it too intently will cause the screening to come off. I put clear nail polish on mine (and my Cyclone MII) to protect it.

It’ll be glorious! I can’t wait for pix!
Yeah I'm really excited about it!!! I know it's still an unnecessary 3 pivot design, but it's just so friggin cool that I couldn't just not buy it! I'm really interested to see how it performs.

I'm also still on the hunt for 3 pulleys, 2nd gen Mountechs, a couple of Le Tech FDs, and a plethora of other sweet SunTour derailleurs as well though! Honestly I think I'm developing an addiction to SunTour derailleurs. I've been reading through some of your threads on experimental 3 pulley builds and it's really gotten my hyped up about collecting a bunch of derailleurs to play around with!
Old 08-14-18, 08:41 AM
AustinFitz

This project has been on hold for a while due to some life stuff happening, but things have finally settled down enough for me to get back to working on some bikes! This project has been sitting right where I left it. Haven't done a thing since the last pics, but I hope to have some fresh updates and pics real soon! Fall is approaching, and I want to get at least most of my bikes ready for action!
Old 08-14-18, 10:52 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
No sweat man! Life gets to us all sometimes. I’m about to get hit myself in a few days.
Old 08-18-18, 08:49 AM
simmonsgc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
This project has been sitting right where I left it.
I hear ya. Took me ~3 years to finish a dropbar conversion on my MB-2. Heck, still isn't done till I get it fendered. In my book, you're moving along at a pretty good clip. Stuff happens, man.
Old 09-21-20, 11:15 PM
AustinFitz

Can't sleep, and thinking about maybe working on this some tonight. Here we are like 2 years later, and I'm still sitting on this project... I guess the amount of rust to be removed from all of the different components, and the fact that the wheels need to be re-spoked has put me off of working on it when I do have a little time. There's just so much to be done that it's hard not to get burnt out before seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. I do hope to ride it again someday though. Maybe I'll go scrub some parts.
Old 04-27-21, 07:10 AM
Chach0

Bikes: 1983 Diamond Back Viper - 1986 Diamond Back Ascent - 1998 Diamondback Outlook DX - Diamondback Willwood Comfort

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
Can't sleep, and thinking about maybe working on this some tonight. Here we are like 2 years later, and I'm still sitting on this project... I guess the amount of rust to be removed from all of the different components, and the fact that the wheels need to be re-spoked has put me off of working on it when I do have a little time. There's just so much to be done that it's hard not to get burnt out before seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. I do hope to ride it again someday though. Maybe I'll go scrub some parts.

Is this project still alive??? Any updated pics....
Old 04-29-21, 02:26 AM
AustinFitz

Originally Posted by Chach0
Is this project still alive??? Any updated pics....
Unfortunately I still haven't gotten around to starting the restoration/preservation process, but I do still have it and all of it's parts just patiently waiting in my spare bedroom.
Old 04-29-21, 08:47 AM
OutnBack

Bikes: 83 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 85 Rockhopper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 89 Stumpjumper Comp, 91 Bridgestone RBT

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 61 Posts
Unfortunately I still haven't gotten around to starting the restoration/preservation process, but I do still have it and all of it's parts just patiently waiting in my spare bedroom.
Found an 18" 83 last week. Rocking some patina (the spokes are some of the crustiest I've ever encountered), but it's all there, including original Suntour Beartraps that are still silky smooth, & a still functioning 38 year old Superbe Tech RD. The Superbe Tech will be removed & religated to the parts bin.

Last edited by OutnBack; 04-30-21 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-18-22, 07:37 PM
ridgerunner1983

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
I have a Diamond Back Ridge Runner that I need help with valuing.
Any help or interest would be appreciated!

I can't post pics until I have 10 posts or more....sorry

Old 10-19-22, 04:31 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by ridgerunner1983
Hi,
I have a Diamond Back Ridge Runner that I need help with valuing.
Any help or interest would be appreciated!

I can't post pics until I have 10 posts or more....sorry

Welcome to the forum. There's a separate sub-forum for appraisals which is better suited for valuations. The photos you've submitted are extreme close-ups. Members will also want a good, drive side photo of the complete bicycle. Based on the submitted photos it appears to be quite neglected, with a good amount of rust and in need of a complete overhaul and new consumables. Link to gallery pics; https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/26834421