Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know about a Torino Super Klass?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-04, 11:45 PM
LACCTECH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently purchased a used bike at an old farm house in central IL. It's a pretty neat little bike but I know very little about it. It's a three speed and it's decals say "Torino Super Klass", it has a three piece crank made by Thon / Thompson??, the rear hub has markings either engraved or stamped that say "Sachs, Torpedo Dreigang" and the number "36". The tires are made in Poland, the bike weighs next to nothing and it's just sweet to ride. I'm just curious to find out more about it, to see if I can locate another one in a mens style. Today was the first time I ever encountered this web page and I became very excited being that I found a "community" for bike enthusiasts, which I have been for many, many years. I have a picture I took with my digital camera, but am unsure how to display it here. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated, Thankyou
Old 08-17-18, 09:57 PM
CloudCityGreg
Non- road rider

Bikes: AMF/HUFFY/BSA/PK RIPPER/HUTCH/TREK/GT/IRON HORSE/TORINO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very Little

spelled Klasse, mfg in 70’s, seemingly made in Germany, or Holland, not distributed in USA
it is hard to read the foreign language websites. But they all say vintage. Yours sounds like a race version, as mine has a luggage rack, fenders, lights/generator.

Mine is a three speed-in hub gear, and the friction generators actually put off 12 V DC, I have totally turned my Townie into a trick ride for coming home from the local pub, with automotive off-road LED headlights, spoke lights, saddlebags, milk crate. OEM bakelite headlight was completely dry rotted. I have kept the tail light alive, though the bulb socket is also failing. search super klasse 3gang
I do not believe they got the design of boys and girls bicycle frames correct, the dipped frame should have been reinforced for boys. Most girls do seem to be able to take an impacting in that spot better.

Last edited by CloudCityGreg; 08-17-18 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 08-17-18, 10:08 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum!

Look forward to pictures.

In case you wish to do some searching/research on the bicycle's chainset, as mentioned in the original message, the name is Thun rather than Thon.

Evidently the marque is yet going. Here are listings for two modern looking examples found.

https://www.pedalantrieb.de/fahrraed...oll/18662.html

https://bicikliakcio.hu/torino_super_klasse_456.htm

This one looks like ~1980 -

https://www.dealmywheel.de/neue-gebra...tro-torino.php

There is even a youtube video of one -

​​​​​​​-----

Last edited by juvela; 08-17-18 at 10:23 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-17-18, 10:55 PM
CloudCityGreg
Non- road rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, Thank you very much.
Thank y’all for having this forum. You can have some fun searching my favorite race where I live, the Leadville trail 100 MB

Last edited by CloudCityGreg; 08-17-18 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-18-18, 03:41 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
I doubt any of this will benefit the OP, given that it was his only post and made 14 years ago. However, had he still been around, we would be able to date the bicycle with a bit more information from the hub stamps.
Old 08-19-18, 07:08 PM
CloudCityGreg
Non- road rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you

Apparently someone is reading this, Thank you, for trolling, this information is for anyone that is wondering about these bicycles, not just the OP. I bought mine six months ago. I am guessing if their email is still accurate, they would be notified of a response, finally, rather than some know-it-all millennial? telling them why I should not have responded. .

hey OP, there is apparently a guy here that can tell you more than the whole Internet about your bicycle, with a simple hub stamp, that you already supplied the information on, that will tell you everything you need to know about the hubs. As everyone knows, the hub manufacture, is the same as the bicycle.

you, Tmuk, make this world/forum great!

keep the rubber side down! Keep your Styrofoam hat on, while you play in the street.

QUOTE=T-Mar;20513112]I doubt any of this will benefit the OP, given that it was his only post and made 14 years ago. However, had he still been around, we would be able to date the bicycle with a bit more information from the hub stamps.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by CloudCityGreg; 08-19-18 at 07:23 PM. Reason: typo