Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Enve/Vittoria dispute

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Enve/Vittoria dispute

Old 03-16-19, 05:02 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
It is a big deal, if the tyres come apart or blow up. Usually the issues are related to mounting and not being able to fix a flat in the field ect. Bad as it is, its not life and limb. This however is, if its true the casing split open or the bead is somehow compromised.
Because of Enve...
Old 03-16-19, 05:12 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Because of Enve...
Or because of tires that are delicate.
Old 03-16-19, 06:55 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Or because of tires that are delicate.
Like I said, these types of tires have been around for a long time. Longer than Enve.
Old 03-16-19, 07:13 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
It's almost like ENVE feels like if they smear the tires they can raise enough doubt in court to be able to defend why they decided not to recall the rims when in reality all they have to do is say, "don't use these tires". It's not like we put mtb tires on road rims.....errrr...nevermind.

The only other thing that makes sens is if someone has been killed by this happening and this is ENVE's way of trying to plausibly dis off the liability.
I wondered if this was ENVE covering their butts for some perceived liability or a hedge against warranty or crash replacement claims.

One has to wonder why Specialized Turbo Cotton tires aren't on the list. Are they that much less prone to failure than other cotton casing tires?

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 03-16-19 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-16-19, 07:18 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Like I said, these types of tires have been around for a long time. Longer than Enve.
The models in question are obviously fragile.

Plenty of other good tires to use.

Last edited by noodle soup; 03-16-19 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-16-19, 08:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts

I don't have an ax here. I love Vittoria Graphene tires but will stick to the step down synthetic versions (the wet PNW). Also am a long ways from my first CF rim. But I've been watching this thread with some interest because I have know Vittoria tires to be good reliable tires for over 40 years. Yes, they have had runs of tires with problems. But it seems they have taken producing high quality tires in real volumes quite seriously. They don't just have their tires made in Asia, they bought the facility.

So when Enve chooses to bad mouth the top tires of two respected companies (Vittoria and Challenge) I listen. And what do I hear? Enve (who?) is claiming those two companies' top offerings are defective because they fail on exactly one manufacturer's rims. Went on-line to read about Enve (and Mavic). Interesting. Enve uses unidirectional fibers almost exclusively, Mavic uses mostly CF weave. That alone helps me understand 1) why Enves are lighter, higher end rims and 2) why issues at the hooks are to be expected, I would fully expect those hooks to want to crack and splinter with little fabric other than unidirectional strands. If you want issue-free hooks,incorporating some fibers running at right angles to the rim direction is what you do. (Boatbuilding 101 and I built about 50.) So those tiny sharp strands of unidirectional CF snag the cotton and rip it. Am I surprised? Not at all.

Ben
Old 03-16-19, 09:38 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I don't have an ax here. I love Vittoria Graphene tires but will stick to the step down synthetic versions (the wet PNW). Also am a long ways from my first CF rim. But I've been watching this thread with some interest because I have know Vittoria tires to be good reliable tires for over 40 years. Yes, they have had runs of tires with problems. But it seems they have taken producing high quality tires in real volumes quite seriously. They don't just have their tires made in Asia, they bought the facility.

So when Enve chooses to bad mouth the top tires of two respected companies (Vittoria and Challenge) I listen. And what do I hear? Enve (who?) is claiming those two companies' top offerings are defective because they fail on exactly one manufacturer's rims. Went on-line to read about Enve (and Mavic). Interesting. Enve uses unidirectional fibers almost exclusively, Mavic uses mostly CF weave. That alone helps me understand 1) why Enves are lighter, higher end rims and 2) why issues at the hooks are to be expected, I would fully expect those hooks to want to crack and splinter with little fabric other than unidirectional strands. If you want issue-free hooks,incorporating some fibers running at right angles to the rim direction is what you do. (Boatbuilding 101 and I built about 50.) So those tiny sharp strands of unidirectional CF snag the cotton and rip it. Am I surprised? Not at all.

Ben
where do you get the idea that Enve is having problems with bead hooks cracking and splintering?
Old 03-16-19, 11:41 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts

That's a bit of a leap in logic, is it not?

The tire maker claims that the radius on the hook bead is too small (not within ETRTO) and it is cutting the tires. The rim makers says it is within ETRTO spec but hasn't posted a drawing.

Has this problem occurred with these tires on any other rims?

If the tires are being cut (and I've seen this with another rim maker for this exact reason) it is most likely the rim. HOWEVER, it could be compounded by a breaker strip that is too narrow (that's the bit that wraps around the bead and goes slightly up the sidewall.

So...I'd say more info is needed before any conclusions are drawn?

Old 03-17-19, 06:50 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
Thanks for the video.

The presenter talks about heat buildup and potential over-pressure from the carbon rims. But, still, it should have been able to withstand it. Other tires? Tubulars?

One thing I noted in the video is that I didn't see any bead reinforcement above the rim.

I don't have the tires in front of me, but I'm wondering if they lack adequate bead reinforcement.
Old 03-17-19, 07:21 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Why would you have a problem? These tires and all the others they pointed to haven't had problems for decades. This is an ENVE rim problem. If you aren't running ENVE then you don't have a problem.
It just makes sense to follow developments. No reason to conclude judgment. I'm not on ENVE rims and the rim tire combination I'm on has no reported issues. I hope it stays that way. I'm planning on transitioning from Open-tubular tires to tubeless next year. If some evidence of tire damage is possible with my rim & tire combination, I'll go to tubeless sooner.
Old 03-17-19, 08:35 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Thanks for the video.

The presenter talks about heat buildup and potential over-pressure from the carbon rims. But, still, it should have been able to withstand it. Other tires? Tubulars?

One thing I noted in the video is that I didn't see any bead reinforcement above the rim.

I don't have the tires in front of me, but I'm wondering if they lack adequate bead reinforcement.
He may not know how to diagnose the issue, but it does show the issue is real. To my eye it looks like the top of the rim cut or abraded the casing to the point of failure. If the tyre or the rim is at fault is hard to say, imo. All I know is it shouldn't happen and it likely wouldn't if everybody stuck to the standards.
Old 03-17-19, 09:44 AM
dan911

Bikes: Marinoni Piuma Custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I'm following this closely, I currently have Vittoria Corsa on Fast Forward Carbon rims. No obvious problems at this point.
I have run Vittoria Corsa on 2 different set of FFWD F4R FCC for about 7000-8000 km without any issues...
Old 03-17-19, 11:18 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by dan911
I have run Vittoria Corsa on 2 different set of FFWD F4R FCC for about 7000-8000 km without any issues...
Great news, thanks'
Old 03-17-19, 11:19 AM
BluFalconActual

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Also - about ENVE...

Amer sports bought ENVE for $50M in 2016. Amer's cycling business has dumped. So much so it offloaded MAVIC just a day or two ago to a Private Equity firm. Amer sports is selling itself and the cycling portfolio is a liability.

Was ENVE worth $50M? No. Not in real assets. Not only that but since 2016 the carbon wheel market has just plummeted. When you buy a company and spend more than it's actual assets are worth you still have to carry that difference as an asset on the books. It's called "Goodwill". It's meant to represent the "value" of the brand, people, ability to innovate, etc. While I am sure they did their due diligence beforehand I have no doubt that when the dust settled there was a Goodwill asset on the books that has been bringing the profitability of the cycling side of Amer down so much that it's been a massive liability.

I have known individuals who have worked at ENVE/Mavic who has all scrambled for the door in the last few years. "This place is like a sinking ship."

Honestly I think Amer would have dumped ENVE as well when it tossed Mavic but the goodwill nut makes it impossible to sell. I would not be surprised if it's ridden for what it's worth - pieces sold off or it's simply completely closed. - Unless the carbon wheel market turns around. As an owner of a wheel building company - I don't see that happening in any real amount. Definitely not enough to right this sinking ship.

Personally I wouldn't believe a word ENVE has to say and I would 100% trust every tire manufacturer who comes out refuting ENVE's claims. This is really disgusting. It's almost like ENVE feels like if they smear the tires they can raise enough doubt in court to be able to defend why they decided not to recall the rims when in reality all they have to do is say, "don't use these tires". It's not like we put mtb tires on road rims.....errrr...nevermind.

The only other thing that makes sens is if someone has been killed by this happening and this is ENVE's way of trying to plausibly dis off the liability.
out of pure curiosity, is plummet of sales carbon wheels specifically or is it all wheels in general?
Old 03-17-19, 11:42 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

where do you get the idea that Enve is having problems with bead hooks cracking and splintering?
I don't know that. But building a hook with very little besides resin attaching it to the rest of the rim doesn't seem smart and a formula for the hook splintering off.

An easy way to check this - on a wheel that has had tire bead/casing issues, run your bare hhand arond the the rim inside. If I am right, this will be a very unpleasant experience. ft you merely get a paper cut, well Vittoria's claim of a sharp hook is verified.

I am likely to never be with 100 yards of a bare Enve rim, so I am not volunteering for this research. Those who defend the rims should try this and report back.

Ben
Old 03-17-19, 11:55 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
As far as I know the hook is not "built". Its machined into the rim after moulding, or the rim cant get out of the mould.
Old 03-17-19, 11:59 AM
79pmooney

As far as I know the hook is not "built". Its machined into the rim after moulding, or the rim cant get out of the mould.
Machining a unidirectional layup - I'd expect worse issued with splinters and sharp edges.
Old 03-17-19, 02:24 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I don't know that. But building a hook with very little besides resin attaching it to the rest of the rim doesn't seem smart and a formula for the hook splintering off.

An easy way to check this - on a wheel that has had tire bead/casing issues, run your bare hhand arond the the rim inside. If I am right, this will be a very unpleasant experience. ft you merely get a paper cut, well Vittoria's claim of a sharp hook is verified.

I am likely to never be with 100 yards of a bare Enve rim, so I am not volunteering for this research. Those who defend the rims should try this and report back.

Ben
I just ran my finger on both my Enve 5.6 as I was going to change tires anyways... while I dont consider it a pleasant experience ...as putting tires on never is for me..Regardless nothing sharp at all.
Old 03-17-19, 02:41 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by spdntrxi
I just ran my finger on both my Enve 5.6 as I was going to change tires anyways... while I dont consider it a pleasant experience ...as putting tires on never is for me..Regardless nothing sharp at all.
Can you tell how much of a radius is on the hooked part of the rim? Both inner and outer part of the hook, but in particular the outer edge of the hook and the outer edge of the rim.
Old 03-17-19, 03:10 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
^ not really but if there was a sharp burr, I would have felt it. Personally with a soft casing you are likely to do more damage with a tire iron
Old 03-17-19, 03:23 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

The hook beads are part of the layup and are not machined in afterwards. There are sliders that are part of the mold that create the tire bed.

I do know one disc wheel manufacturer who has their hooks as a solid piece and then cuts that piece away leaving the hook but they have issues with sharp edges cutting tires.

If i understand Vittorias claim that the rims have a 0.2mm radius on the hook, that is pretty small and could cause the problems they describe.

Old 03-17-19, 03:25 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Machining a unidirectional layup - I'd expect worse issued with splinters and sharp edges.
Your expectations would not be met.

Cutting carbon doesn't produce splinters.

Old 03-17-19, 10:54 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

Ben
I have a set of Enve rims. They looked pretty smooth when I got them. All I take care about is that they roll well. And they do. So I'm a happy camper.
Old 03-18-19, 03:43 AM
CliffordK

Not only that but since 2016 the carbon wheel market has just plummeted.
Is that the market for domestic products?

China has been dumping a lot of rims and wheels on the market.

Those in top tier racing may still be buying Enve or Zipp or other big brands.

However, I would imagine that many of the more ordinary cyclists will be purchasing direct Asian imports, or perhaps used wheels. It is hard to justify dropping a few thousand on new wheels when one can buy wheels that appear nice for a fraction of the cost.

Will we see an evolution of wheel depth with cyclists moving back towards lighter wheels with less depth?

A move away from carbon brake tracks, in one form or another?

Getting a company's name in the news is generally considered good, but I have to wonder if this will be bad for Enve if they ultimately demonstrate this being as much of an issue with their rims as with the tires.
Old 03-18-19, 05:31 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
If it was the tires, every wheel maker would be complaining. Every wheel maker would be issuing warnings, to avoid liability.

Enve is smart ot issue a warning,they just issued the wrong warning. There is a compatibility issue with One Enve rim and two sorts of tires from two brands. The warning should simply identify that incompatibility. Blaming is the problem. Once Enve said "It's the tires" they were being dishonest. It's the Combination of rim and tire. That's all.

Just bad management within Enve's corporate communications department. Now they have started a fight which they will lose. A simple "This rim is not compatible with the following tires" sticker on the box would have sufficed.

I have used Vittoria Corsa open tubulars for quite a long time. Never has any problem with cut sidewalls.

Great tires, but they don't last. I use one up front only now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.