Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

High blood pressure

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

High blood pressure

Old 07-12-19, 03:42 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
High blood pressure

My cardiologist put me on Propranolol and Lisinopril now I can’t get my heart rate higher than 130-135 on most rides. I feel these drugs are restricting me of my performance. I’m 79 I used to ride 30mile days and now I’m down to 15-20. I feel I can’t put out like I did..
Does anybody else have this problem ? If so what did you do. I’m 6’2” and weight 193 and 79 years old next month and been riding 13 years. Thanks for any replies
Old 07-12-19, 04:26 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The best medication for you depends on your specific medical issues. My advice is discuss your problem with your doctor. There are other blood pressure medicines with different side effects that may be more acceptable to you.
Likes For johnny99:
Old 07-12-19, 05:21 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by George
Thanks for any replies
I suspect you are overdosed. Talk with your cardiologist about backing-off until you reach your desired numbers. Create an excel spreadsheet with the BP taken a 4 or 5 times a day for a week, show him/her what's actually happening at rest...I don't think the cardiologist wants you walking around 100/60.

You can get a decent BP tester for less than $40 on Amazon.
Old 07-12-19, 08:15 PM
George

Thanks for the replies. I have done what you have mentioned and I’m seeing the doctor again Wednesday to see what he's got to offer. I hoping there another drug that he can put me on.I was wondering what some of you were on and how it’s working out. Thanks again for the replies.
Old 07-12-19, 08:18 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I take lisinopril, my HR hit 172 on a ride last month. I do see 150-160 pretty regularly if I push hard. I’m a bit younger, age 61.
Old 07-12-19, 09:42 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,008 Posts
HP is frustrating. I take Losartan and amlodipine. My condition is hereditary I have been active all my life (51) Doesn’t seem to hinder activities but it flushes electrolytes so I increase my intake using stuff like Propel in water. Years ago a doc but me on a med that limited my heart rate and my cycling performance was horrible, I notice right away. Went to another doctor said taking that stuff is crazy so switched meds and got my wind back. Then I was 31 and very active but had HP. Good thing you guys don’t ignore HP and are taking positive steps.
Old 07-12-19, 09:54 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
HP is frustrating.
Yes, it is frustrating. All my numbers have improved since I started back riding six years ago - except BP. Still need the meds.
Old 07-13-19, 01:59 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yeah, I take metoprolol as needed for occasional spikes in BP and migraines. I don't have high BP, per se, but a neck injury damaged my atlas/C1 and C2. Occasionally pinched nerves and muscle spasms will provoke high BP and horrific headaches. So I take metoprolol on those occasions.

But, yeah, I notice I feel fatigued on those days and can't get my heart rate up enough to approach my usual maximum efforts. On those days I usually ride anyway, but keep my effort way down. I can still ride for hours as long as I stay within a sustainable range. I began wearing a Wahoo Tickr heart monitor a couple of months ago to keep track. It helps a little although I was already very familiar with my HR range and limits.

At age 61, my heart rate pretty much matches the formula that some folks claim is inaccurate: 220 minus age. For me, it's pretty close. My last maximum HR (maximum effort to the point of dizziness and nearly passing out) was 173, earlier this year. My usual peak HR on short sprints and hill climbs is around 160-164. My maximum sustainable HR is around 150 if I plan to ride longer than 30 minutes. That's pretty close to what the usual formula predicts.

Another wild card was Hashimoto's, an auto-immune disorder that affected my thyroid. After surgery last year to remove thyroid cancer (no metastasis) and getting my thyroid med balanced, my resting HR is finally down to normal. For years my resting HR was seldom lower than 80. Now it's usually 55-60.

But my BP and maximum HR are influenced by the neck injury. Not much I can do about that. I'm reluctant to risk surgery so I'm trying physical therapy, massage and a chiropractor.
Old 07-13-19, 07:04 AM
George

Thanks for all the great replies. I think someone mention Amlodipine around here to me. I'll try and run that pass the doc Wed.
Old 07-14-19, 02:31 PM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
My guess is that your heart rate and performance issues are from the Propranolo, a beta blocker, a class of drugs that restricts heart rate and can give you a feeling of being tired. I take Lisinopril with no side effects that I notice on performance. I also take carveidlol, which is a beta blocker, and it does have heart rate and fatigue issues for me. Over time, I have worked with my cardiologist to lower the beta blocker dose so that it has tolerable effects on heart rate/peformance, but it took a number of years and my doc starting to cycle before he agreed on lowering the dose. He also added a very small dose of amlodipine (2.5mg) when the beta blocker dose was lowered and we are both happy with my blood pressure. I ride about 6k a year and climb a reasonable amount. Sometimes, at my docs suggestion, when I anticipate a hard ride I delay the beta blocker dose until after the ride. This is usually on very hot days when the ride involves climbing.

My docs, present cardiologist excepted, have generally been deaf to the effects of beta blockers on my cycling activity. By far the most difficult issue is the limitation on heart rate when climbing or a faster group ride. My dose is such that I can peak out about 155-158 (I am 75) and on most rides I average about 115-120. Folks I am riding with, when I compare their Strava data, are in the 140 to 150 range, but then they are younger.

There are medications other than a beta blocker that might be more appropriate for your particular situation and bringing this to the attention of your cardiologist might present an opportunity for discussing options. If not, my experience is that over time it seems my body has adapted somewhat to the beta blockers, but keeping the dose as low as possible has made the most difference.
Old 07-14-19, 03:11 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
I suspect you are overdosed. Talk with your cardiologist about backing-off until you reach your desired numbers. Create an excel spreadsheet with the BP taken a 4 or 5 times a day for a week, show him/her what's actually happening at rest...I don't think the cardiologist wants you walking around 100/60.

You can get a decent BP tester for less than $40 on Amazon.
That sounds like me after a trip down the gym . . .
Old 07-14-19, 03:42 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
I take 100mg atenolol and 100mg losartan. Lisinopril gave me a tickly cough, that went away after switching to losartan. Metoprolol made me drowsy, that went away after switching to atenolol.

After 5 heart attacks over a period of 25 years I've slowed down a lot. I've blamed the statins which degraded my muscle tone but the BP meds may have played a role. Also, I have a mysterious partial paralysis in the right leg after a quad tear plus arthritis at the left ankle. I've had to add one of those controversial e-assists discussed to death at the thread below to continue cycling. I'm 70.

After all of the above, I seem to have the BP under control.
Old 07-14-19, 03:52 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I had borderline hypertension and severe acid reflux in my early 50s. Went vegetarian and started bike commuting. Reflux went away almost immediately, hasn't returned, and being as vegan as I can has resulted in my pressure being moderate low! Age 58 now.... The veggies really do the trick... I bet my life on it and will live longer now
Old 07-14-19, 05:02 PM
George

Thanks for the replies again. I think when I see the doc Wed I’m going to see if I can get on the Losartan and Amlodipine. The doc isn’t into sports so I’m thinking that I’m going to have a hard time getting what I want. I guess I’m going to find out. Thanks again everyone.
Old 07-15-19, 11:52 AM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
High Blood Pressure

I am 77 and take an ARB - Benicar 40mg. I have refused Beta Blockers but occasionally use HCTZ if systolic goes over 140. If I do extended climbs (over 10 mi) I end up with blood pressure so low I can't turn the cranks so don't use the HCTZ if there is significant climbing. I have been riding 35 years and have not allowed the Docs to give me BP meds affecting heart rate. Your Cardiologist should be able to give you ARB's or Calcium Channel Blockers which do not affect heart rate unless contra indicated.
Old 07-15-19, 02:31 PM
George

Thanks fastcarbon, I’m going to print this out to show the doctor Wednesday.
Old 07-27-19, 02:14 PM
George

Just an update. I got off of the propranolol and everything is back to normal. Whatever that is. Thanks again everyone for the help.