Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Left half of Brooks comfortable, right half not so much.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-09, 11:15 PM
Laplace'sDaemon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone. First post here after reading for a while.

The title pretty much says it, and I don't know what I can do to make both sides comfortable.

I bought a Brooks Imperial about 2 months ago. For a couple weeks I had the saddle pointed slightly to the left, which made me sit too far back on the right side, which caused some pain (being close to on top of the steel portion of the saddle). After straightening it out, the left side is still comfortable, but now it's uncomfortable at the top of my thigh on my right leg--as if I'm contacting the edge of the saddle in a weird way. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?
Old 03-13-09, 05:11 AM
Unknown Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brroks saddles take a while to bed in, and they change shape to suit you while they do this.

It's possible the saddle is now asymetric - one side is a different shape to the other because of the different forces that have been applied to each side.

The first thing you need to do is to get the saddle in the correct position, make sure the height, fore aft position and tilt are correct as well as it being pointed straight ahead.

Get a second opinion on the set up, once it is set up correctly, I would imagine that the saddle will continue to bed in and eventually be good fit.

Unless you have done lots and lots of miles in two months I doubt the saddle has fully broken in, and in any case people buy s/hand brooks saddles all the time (check ebay) so there must be some scope for the saddle to continue to adapt to the rider.

Finally, don't overtension it and be careful what you treat it with.

It's better to stick to the slightly pricey Proofide than to have your saddle turn into a 'loose sling'.

Old 03-13-09, 05:49 AM
oneredstar
the bike made me do it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks, take time. It could be that you rode it enough to change the shape of it already. But I agree with Unknown Cyclist, get it in the proper position and start to break it in.
Old 03-13-09, 06:02 AM
Galoot

Bikes: 1975 Coppi Campionissimo, 1980 Raleigh Grand Sport, 1983 Trek 520, 1983 Ciocc, 1995 Trek 520

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The solution is obvious. Turn it around and ride it that way for a week or two.
Old 03-13-09, 06:13 AM
Unknown Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Galoot
The solution is obvious. Turn it around and ride it that way for a week or two.
So that once both sides don't fit, you can put it straight and start bedding it in again ????
Old 03-16-09, 08:08 AM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Laplace'sDaemon
For a couple weeks I had the saddle pointed slightly to the left, which made me sit too far back on the right side, which caused some pain (being close to on top of the steel portion of the saddle). After straightening it out, the left side is still comfortable, but now it's uncomfortable at the top of my thigh on my right leg--as if I'm contacting the edge of the saddle in a weird way. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?
It sounds like an overall fit issue, rather than a saddle issue.

First, saddle pain would be around your sit bones, perenium, or other close areas - not the top of you thigh.

Also, it is unlikely that straightening a slightly misaligned saddle would cause a significant problem.
Old 03-16-09, 08:23 AM
Unknown Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rogerstg
Also, it is unlikely that straightening a slightly misaligned saddle would cause a significant problem.
That would be true on any man made saddles.

However, the Brooks Imperial is a traditional leather saddle and as soon as you start to use it, it starts to change shape to fit you.

The saddle is very likely to now have become slightly asymetrical - putting it straight and further use should remedy this.

I would suggest that it might be worth the OP getting a second opinion as to whether the saddle is straight.

I once met someone who isisted his saddle was off to one side, so I checked it and it was straight. He then had a look and insisted it wasn't straight and further insisted on the sadle being adjusted until he believed it was straight - it was way out.

Perhaps this is due to one eye being dominant, maybe the OP should try checking with one eye closed ?

Old 03-16-09, 08:38 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
If it is, in fact, rubbing your thigh, you might try lacing it, to keep the sides of the saddle from flareing out.
Old 03-16-09, 08:42 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Laplace'sDaemon
Hi everyone. First post here after reading for a while.

The title pretty much says it, and I don't know what I can do to make both sides comfortable.

I bought a Brooks Imperial about 2 months ago. For a couple weeks I had the saddle pointed slightly to the left, which made me sit too far back on the right side, which caused some pain (being close to on top of the steel portion of the saddle). After straightening it out, the left side is still comfortable, but now it's uncomfortable at the top of my thigh on my right leg--as if I'm contacting the edge of the saddle in a weird way. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?
Why did you have it pointed to the left? Do you have a crooked pelvis? I do, and since I'm considering a Brooks, I'm curious.

Old 03-16-09, 11:00 AM
paxtonm

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Mercian King of Mercia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's pretty standard practice for saddles on bikes being ridden by men to be canted a few millimeters to one side or the other. I'll leave you all to guess why, but it's related to the tailor's question, "left or right?". One area that's not been addressed is that your legs may be of different lengths. We are very much not symmetrical. It's worth a look with a good fitter or even chiropractor. If so, you can shim your cleat on the short side. In the most extreme cases, I've heard of people who use different crank lengths to achieve Zen harmony. Good luck!
Old 03-16-09, 11:28 AM
Unknown Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paxtonm
It's pretty standard practice for saddles on bikes being ridden by men to be canted a few millimeters to one side or the other.
JACKANORY !!!!

I've never heard of this or seen anyone do this.

Please don't quote fairytales as if they are fact....

Jeez....
Old 03-16-09, 02:10 PM
paxtonm

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Mercian King of Mercia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unknown Cyclist:
You are as ignorant as you are rude. Once you've spent a few decades in the saddle, raced, wrenched and built bicycles and coached countless young riders, you are entitled to a (more) informed opinion. You spout rubbish. Then again, you may be missing a few parts?

Good day.
Old 03-16-09, 03:11 PM
Unknown Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unknown Cyclist:
You are as ignorant as you are rude. Once you've spent a few decades in the saddle, raced, wrenched and built bicycles and coached countless young riders, you are entitled to a (more) informed opinion. You spout rubbish. Then again, you may be missing a few parts?

Good day.
Sorry if you think that was rude

You are the one spouting rubbish. Standard practice my ar5e.

Simply put a questionnaire up asking how many male riders offset their saddles by a few mms to make room for their equipment ? The idea is ridiculous. Provide some proof or accept being called on it.

For all you know I may well have set up more cycles than you have.

Good day to you, too.
Old 03-16-09, 05:30 PM
Kimmitt 

Bikes: RadRunner Plus, Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So that's why I keep finding that I've unconsciously moved my saddle a wee (hah!) bit to the left. I was wondering.
Old 03-16-09, 05:37 PM
Unknown Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmitt
So that's why I keep finding that I've unconsciously moved my saddle a wee (hah!) bit to the left. I was wondering.
I'm not sure you've moved it while you are unconscious

Do you really cycle with your 'meat & two veg' wedged between your thigh and the saddle ??

Some people (men and WOMEN) seem to have trouble actually telling when a saddle is straight.

Something to do with binocular vision and having a dominant eye I guess.

Old 03-16-09, 06:43 PM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Unknown Cyclist
JACKANORY !!!!

I've never heard of this or seen anyone do this.

Please don't quote fairytales as if they are fact....

Jeez....
Umm ... you need to get a bit more experience. AFAIK, where I'm from it has always been the case to offset the nose a bit on a racing bike.

OTOH, it's not needed on comfort bikes, which i would guess is what's limiting your knowledge.

Theoretically, it is not needed on saddles with cut-out middles like the imperial either. I've found this to be the case, preferring a slight left angle on my Brooks non-cutout saddles.
Old 03-16-09, 07:02 PM
Unknown Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rogerstg
OTOH, it's not needed on comfort bikes, which i would guess is what's limiting your knowledge.
You cheeky *******.

I have never owned a "comfort bike" in my entire life.

I think the hideous overweight dinosaurs should be banned ffs.
Old 03-16-09, 11:50 PM
Laplace'sDaemon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the comments everyone. To Historian: I didn't mean to turn the saddle to the side, just wasn't paying enough attention I guess.

Looking at the saddle more closely, the indentations are definitely asymmetric... might make it a bit tricky to break in right this time. I am now pretty certain that the saddle is on straight. I used a straight-edge to be sure that it's pointing directly at the stem bolt.

After a couple days rest and a few adjustments, the ride today was a bit better. Hopefully it'll keep getting better.
Old 03-17-09, 12:13 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Because of the cutout, the off canter installation and less support BECAUSE of the cutout, it's already starting to wear that way. I would use the proofide on the firmer side and hopefully it will even out.

Try to tighten the laces a tad, that might bring the side in and away from your thigh a bit.

Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 03-17-09 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-17-09, 11:02 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cant mine. Then again my equipment is a bit oversized.
Old 03-18-09, 12:40 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Unknown Cyclist
Do you really cycle with your 'meat & two veg' wedged between your thigh and the saddle ?

I thought that was what the cutout was for? I tuck it all down and behind then mount the bike.
Old 03-18-09, 01:43 PM
Unknown Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thenomad
I thought that was what the cutout was for? I tuck it all down and behind then mount the bike.
I just hang a sling around my neck....
Old 03-18-09, 01:50 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
It's pretty standard practice for saddles on bikes being ridden by men to be canted a few millimeters to one side or the other.
If it only took "a few millimeters" to accommodate my equipment, I would never admit that here.
Old 03-18-09, 02:48 PM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
This is one thread that needs no more pics!

I never heard of moving the saddle to the left or right before, but what do I know? I always have mine set straight.