Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2020 SuperSix EVO and Power2Max Compatibility

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-15-19, 01:05 PM
JohnUSA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I am going to buy a 2020 Cannondale SuperSix EVO, I am getting the 105 Disc model (the most I can afford).

The first thing I want to buy for it is a power meter (my current power meter is a power tap hub on a rim brake wheel for my current road bike), and my cycling team members are telling me that the Power2Max is a good option. Looking at Cannondale's website, it seems some of the higher-end EVO models actually come with a Power2Max built in.

I am wondering if I can buy the Power2Max Cannondale spider and use my bike's existing chainrings and crank arms. The Power2Max website says Cannondale SI cranks are compatible, but the EVO 105 Disc comes with "Cannondale 1, BB30a, FSA rings, 52/36", according to the website, so not sure if the crank arms are compatible. Also, Power2Max says that some of the FSA chainrings are not compatible with the Power2Max power meter because of a ridge that is machined onto the rings. Does anyone know if the 52/36 FSA rings that come on an EVO 105 Disc are compatible with the Power2Max power meter?

If the crank arms and/or chainrings on the EVO 105 Disc are not compatible with the Power2Max Cannondale spider, I would like to purchase the appropriate rings and cranks before I even buy the EVO, because that way I can sell the stock rings and crank arms as unused, which would probably get me more money.

Also, one more question. Power2Max sells the Cannondale spider for $590, but they sell an FSA Gossamer spider (that includes crank arms) for only $540. It says the FSA Gossamer fits 30mm BB's, which I believe the EVO is. Why should I spend $50 more for the Cannondale spider over the Gossamer crank that includes the crank arms?

Thanks,

John
Old 08-15-19, 05:15 PM
JohnUSA

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Anyone? As an 18 year old cyclist I appreciate any and all help.
Old 08-16-19, 06:35 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Ask your LBS. It used to be that all Cannondale arms and spiders were interchangeable - with the exception of the Carbon SI, which had a molded arm and spider. I don't know if that is still the case.

I've never heard of FSA rings not being compatible, but it's possible.

As a side note, FSA Gossamer is junk. There is a reason why almost everyone has one for sale.
Old 08-16-19, 07:06 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Why not just email Power2Max customer service?
Old 08-16-19, 07:35 AM
helouwn

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I emailed Power2Max yesterday about a similar question. I have an older Evo Ultegra Di2. It has FSA 50/34 rings on it (which are worn and need replacement anyway). The crank arms are Cannondale SI. If it helps, I’ll let you know what I hear back.

Will
Old 08-16-19, 08:36 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnUSA
Also, one more question. Power2Max sells the Cannondale spider for $590, but they sell an FSA Gossamer spider (that includes crank arms) for only $540. It says the FSA Gossamer fits 30mm BB's, which I believe the EVO is. Why should I spend $50 more for the Cannondale spider over the Gossamer crank that includes the crank arms?

Thanks,

John
Gossamers are relatively heavy and (IMO) ugly.

Also, keep in mind that if you've got a BB30, you can convert to just about any BB that you'd like. In fact, some would prefer to use something like a Praxis adapter to a 24mm spindle because it's less prone to BB creak/squeak.
Old 08-16-19, 10:40 AM
helouwn

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnUSA
I am going to buy a 2020 Cannondale SuperSix EVO, I am getting the 105 Disc model (the most I can afford).

The first thing I want to buy for it is a power meter (my current power meter is a power tap hub on a rim brake wheel for my current road bike), and my cycling team members are telling me that the Power2Max is a good option. Looking at Cannondale's website, it seems some of the higher-end EVO models actually come with a Power2Max built in.

I am wondering if I can buy the Power2Max Cannondale spider and use my bike's existing chainrings and crank arms. The Power2Max website says Cannondale SI cranks are compatible, but the EVO 105 Disc comes with "Cannondale 1, BB30a, FSA rings, 52/36", according to the website, so not sure if the crank arms are compatible. Also, Power2Max says that some of the FSA chainrings are not compatible with the Power2Max power meter because of a ridge that is machined onto the rings. Does anyone know if the 52/36 FSA rings that come on an EVO 105 Disc are compatible with the Power2Max power meter?

If the crank arms and/or chainrings on the EVO 105 Disc are not compatible with the Power2Max Cannondale spider, I would like to purchase the appropriate rings and cranks before I even buy the EVO, because that way I can sell the stock rings and crank arms as unused, which would probably get me more money.

Thanks,

John
Originally Posted by helouwn
I emailed Power2Max yesterday about a similar question. I have an older Evo Ultegra Di2. It has FSA 50/34 rings on it (which are worn and need replacement anyway). The crank arms are Cannondale SI. If it helps, I’ll let you know what I hear back.

Will
I just heard back. I was told: "Your setup is actually pretty easy and I would recommend our NGeco Cannondale setup since you are going to be using the same crank, same BB and just change your spider against this powermeter."

I hope this helps.
Old 08-17-19, 10:31 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Had to look that up, I've used about every flavor of Hollowgram through the years and did not know what a Cannondale 1 was. I don't see it listed on their web site but the picture on the bike looks like an "Si". Which is the solid arm version of a Hollowgram (SL, SiSL2). It's a decent crank and is compatible with everything else (same BB & spider). The Si is the crank listed for the 2019 SuperSix 105.

All you would need is the tool for the ring on the back side of the spider. You can get Praxis chainrings directly from P2Max for $100 along with the meter (vs $150 direct from Praxis) a good deal and a decent chainring set.