Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Columnist writes about intentionally running 6 cyclists off the road

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Columnist writes about intentionally running 6 cyclists off the road

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 03:28 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,810 Times in 1,534 Posts
here is link that will give people a feel for the area. The roads are hilly, winding and narrow. Hard to pass and risky to cycylist if cars get too close.

There is often a fair amount of contention between cyclists and motorist.

Woodside proper is a very affluent area with many famous residents... Larry Ellison, Steve Jobs, Neil Young, Joan Baez and Koko the Gorilla who learned sign language

https://www.chainreaction.com/pescadero_tunitasloop.htm

Last edited by squirtdad; 08-15-11 at 05:52 PM. Reason: joan baez singer.... not john baez
Old 08-15-11, 03:39 PM
billdsd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaneluke
Interesting to know.
So by law if a bicycle rider is riding on a long curvy road and cars are not able to pass. Once the cyclist gets 5 cars behind them they have to pull off at the first spot than can safely do so?
Once they get 5 cars behind them yes, they are required by law to turn out at the next safe place to do so. As I said, I'd do it for 1. However, most of the time I ride on multi-lane roads where CVC 21656 never applies.

Last edited by billdsd; 08-15-11 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-15-11, 03:44 PM
billdsd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tom cotter
And, the usual claim from cyclist is that they can't safely move over. Usually, they can, but don't want to. It is a battle of egos.
Not in my experience. In my experience motorists often think that a bicyclist can move over in situations where it is most certainly NOT safe to do so. A narrow lane with dirt/gravel next to it is not a safe place to be far right. The car would still have to move at least partially into the next lane to pass safely. If that's the case, then they might as well move entirely into the next lane to pass. If they can't safely move entirely into the next lane then they can't safely move partially into the next lane either. If they plan to pass close, then screw that! I'll stay in the lane until it's safe for me to move over and not a second less. I need a safe passing distance. I need a surface that isn't going to send me tumbling. My safety is not less important than some idiot's delusion that 30 seconds is the end of the world.
Old 08-15-11, 05:36 PM
LemondFanForeve
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brittain
I'm no expert in law, and even less in California law, but I don't think that an admission of something like this will excite the police too much. It will take the cyclists coming forward along with this admission that might make them pursue some kind of justice. But the last part of what you said holds true regardless.
Yeah, police have far more important things to worry about, like issuing 'jaywalking tickets", or some other BS ticket for some bogus/bs law they've just created. The city's broke, they need all the $$$ they can get.
Old 08-15-11, 05:50 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Woodside proper is a very affluent area with many famous residents... Larry Ellison, Steve Jobs, Neil Young, John Baez and Koko the Gorilla who learned sign language

https://www.chainreaction.com/pescadero_tunitasloop.htm
Thanks for the link.

I thought John Baez, the mathematical physicist, is at the Centre for Quantum Technologies in Singapore until Fall 2012.
Old 08-15-11, 05:54 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,810 Times in 1,534 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Thanks for the link.

I thought John Baez, the mathematical physicist, is at the Centre for Quantum Technologies in Singapore until Fall 2012.
Sorry I missed his schedule. ....but there are a lot of Stanford types in Woodside also......

Old 08-15-11, 11:05 PM
Daves_Not_Here
On your right

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to say that I've witnessed two situations where a cyclist taking the lane corresponded with a backup of automobile traffic and motorist anger. In both cases, the cyclists could have safely pulled onto a paved shoulder (I know, because that was my vantage point as I watched from behind at full speed). And in both cases, when the motorists were able to pass, they did so dangerously closely and much more closely than when they had passed me. I don't think those cyclists helped themselves or the cycling community that day.
Old 08-16-11, 07:55 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I can actually recall the number of times someone has been stuck behind me for more than 30 seconds over that period of time. It's extremely rare, stressful to me, and I don't like it...
Not saying this is right, but the longer they feel "held up" the more confrontational, angry, reckless and inattentive they become. Further they'll take drastically more risky attempts at passing endangering life and limb on all sides.
Old 08-16-11, 09:07 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Daves_Not_Here
I have to say that I've witnessed two situations where a cyclist taking the lane corresponded with a backup of automobile traffic and motorist anger. In both cases, the cyclists could have safely pulled onto a paved shoulder (I know, because that was my vantage point as I watched from behind at full speed). And in both cases, when the motorists were able to pass, they did so dangerously closely and much more closely than when they had passed me. I don't think those cyclists helped themselves or the cycling community that day.
Pulling over to the shoulder, is not as simple as it seems. I have seen too many times where, if I pulled over to the shoulder it would almost be a green light for the motorist behind me to step on the gas.

That is why I 'take the lane'. While it ticks drivers off, it almost guarantees that they will see me, and none of this 'I did not see him/her/them' garbage.

Also, By 'taking the lane', I have seen drivers usually move completely into the passing lane. Instead of the motorist getting 'chummy' with the cyclist.

I know it doesn't guarantee that some moron won't hit a cyclist, but I am going on my experience.
Old 08-16-11, 09:35 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Yeah, and this is AFTER California put the law into effect making it illegal to threatened a cyclists...where's the law now? I knew that law would not be enforced, it was all about political posturing. In case some of you missed that new law's details, here it is: https://bike-pgh.org/bbpress/topic/wo...w-for-cyclists

So, where is the law enforcement now? where? Anyone know? Because I sure don't see anywhere!
Old 08-16-11, 10:30 PM
Daves_Not_Here
On your right

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Yeah, and this is AFTER California put the law into effect making it illegal to threatened a cyclists...where's the law now? ...
So, where is the law enforcement now? where? Anyone know? Because I sure don't see anywhere!
Law's very new -- enforcement probably won't be very visible because most harassment does not happen in view of the cops. I think cyclists will have to press charges and will be helped when they have video evidence.

Also, the drivers in Los Angeles and Southern California where I ride are already pretty tuned in and courteous towards cyclists, at least they have been to me. I don't think there are that many cases here where drivers blatantly harrass cyclists, so I agree with you, it may be more posturing than anything.
Old 08-16-11, 11:26 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
A dangerous ignorant idiot!

She should not be driving and writing!

Last edited by VNA; 08-16-11 at 11:28 PM. Reason: precision
Old 08-16-11, 11:42 PM
billdsd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Yeah, and this is AFTER California put the law into effect making it illegal to threatened a cyclists...where's the law now? I knew that law would not be enforced, it was all about political posturing. In case some of you missed that new law's details, here it is: https://bike-pgh.org/bbpress/topic/wo...w-for-cyclists

Erm, this law didn't make anything illegal that wasn't already illegal. Threatening and assaulting bicyclists was already illegal.

This new law only makes it possible for people in the city of Los Angeles to sue people who threaten or assault them even if the police do not press criminal charges. Police usually won't press charges unless they have proof beyond reasonable doubt. Civil suits only need preponderance of evidence rather than beyond reasonable doubt. The new law also sets a minimum penalty of $1000 or 3 times damages whichever is greater, plus the plaintiff's legal costs if the plaintiff wins. This law just turns the bicyclists into the cops and makes it easier for them to win than it is for the cops.
Old 08-17-11, 03:41 AM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm sure Ms. Gottesman would like it if I got out of her way (assuming, for the moment, I'd so lost my mind as to move to California). Well, I'd like the girl who lives three doors down from me to decide I'm the sexiest thing she's ever seen. I imagine we both will be disappointed.

Seriously uncool. Seriously.
Old 08-17-11, 07:52 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by Daves_Not_Here
Law's very new -- enforcement probably won't be very visible because most harassment does not happen in view of the cops. I think cyclists will have to press charges and will be helped when they have video evidence.

Also, the drivers in Los Angeles and Southern California where I ride are already pretty tuned in and courteous towards cyclists, at least they have been to me. I don't think there are that many cases here where drivers blatantly harrass cyclists, so I agree with you, it may be more posturing than anything.
I use to live in California for 27 years and for the most part their use to seeing cyclists as you said, but I still ran into those that felt we should be banned from roads and we don't have the same rules as cars and they would cut us off etc etc. When I moved to Indiana the respect for cyclists was just a little bit worse overall then California, the biggest problem with Indiana is that we are so backwards with designing of bike paths and bike lanes, but at least we're starting to make an attempt to ratify that, we'll just be 30 years behind California and some other states that's all! Geez in Fort Wayne where I live they actually run the bike path through the city on a SIDEWALK?? So of course you have to go slow because you have the city folk walking the sidewalks to get to places downtown, really stupid, and then the path markings downtown are confusing. But if you work the paths right you can travel about 20 miles from one end to the other, so it's not a bad system, it just needs improvement through the city; and there are no paths running North and South either through the city or outside of the city so your forced to take streets and highways, which doesn't bother me I've done that for 40 years but it bothers others.

It's going to take time for better bike paths to be created in a lot of states, and now with the fiscal crises it could take a lot longer if our country doesn't get it's act together. Too bad too because I don't have 30 years of cycling left in me.
Old 08-17-11, 02:30 PM
DeadheadSF

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 3, Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuterRun
That article sounds like a confession. Hopefully local law enforcement is pursuing charges. If she really did that and then wrote about it she truly is genuinely stupid.
This.

But, I wouldn't get my hopes up. If it doesn't involve harassing homeless or poor people or people smoking a joint, they probably won't bother to lift a finger.
Old 08-17-11, 03:36 PM
Keith99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
The irony in this statement is huge... apparently horses are easily spooked by bikes... as bikes move fast and quiet. (this was explained to my by some horse riders near a bike path that I regularly use. As a result I typically slow down around horses that are ridden on the nearby adjacent paths.)
Horses are like other animals, each different. Some spook fairly easily. Some from different thigns.

I have a vague recollection of passing some equestrians on a fire road once and being (quite politely) asked to walk my bike past them, because one or more of the horses was prone to spooking.

Most horse people are nice, and that means nice to me someone who is not fond of horses.

Oh and some of the women in my family, sister and neices are into horses. The cost dwarfs cycling.
Old 08-17-11, 04:42 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
Horses are like other animals, each different. Some spook fairly easily. Some from different thigns.

I have a vague recollection of passing some equestrians on a fire road once and being (quite politely) asked to walk my bike past them, because one or more of the horses was prone to spooking.

Most horse people are nice, and that means nice to me someone who is not fond of horses.

Oh and some of the women in my family, sister and neices are into horses. The cost dwarfs cycling.
The owner knows if their horse is spooky.

We all know horses aren't the smartest things, but humans should know better than to take a spooky horse out into traffic or on a trail.

FYI, i ride by police horses all the time and they're pretty much fine. The bottom line is those people are taking a risk on an animal that isn't properly trained for the scenario they've put it into.

I also think keeping horses(aside from mennonite) is a luxuriant hobby of the rich(or soon to be poor). So when this conservative tax dodging ***** towing $50,000 of glue and spewing diesel complains about a few peasants on the side of the road and then proceeds to run those "scoundrels" off the road my blood boils.
Old 08-17-11, 04:46 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99

Ya gotta feed 'em and keep 'em warm, whether you ride or not... the bikes I mean.
Old 08-17-11, 05:02 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tom cotter
The bigger issue is common courtesy. When we are in our cars and come upon a much slower vehicle, what do we think? Most of us think along the lines "Come on, step on the gas." If it's a slow vehicle pulling a trailer we think "Pull over, let us go by." And who among us hasn't been stuck behind that person on the interstate who doesn't understand that the left lane is the hammer lane? In the days when Desi still loved Lucy those who drove well under the speed limit were called road hogs. We don't like road hogs. While they could be new drivers unsure of themselves, old folks just taking their time, or a large vehicle requiring a much lower speed to remain safe, we generally view them with distain. Which is to be expected. After-all, they are slowing us down! So, from this POV we gain the perspective of the writer's frustration. Not that her hell bent attitude was right, far from it. However, as cyclist who have every right to take the lane and not yield to much faster traffic it is we who become the much hated road hog.

This can be resolved with common courtesy. Just move over and let the faster vehicles pass. Usually, it costs us nothing. More importantly, it doesn't give the chosen few anything to write about!!!!!
Go post in a car forum. You are an enemy of the cyclist.
Old 08-17-11, 10:46 PM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tadawdy
lol. The lady riding going competing in horse shows thinks cyclists spend too much money on recreation.
Seriously. And she's dissing on their clothes. Lady, I'm an equestrian too. We dress up in wool tail coats, tall boots, and stretch pants and then go exercise. We have no room to criticize another sport's chosen uniform.
Old 08-17-11, 10:55 PM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ever since I saw this video, I pass horses as widely as possible:

Ah yes, the time honored non-horse person solution to a spooking prey animal - yell a lot and creep up slowly like a stalking predator and/or wave your arms around like a maniac. Works every time.

ETA:
From the cached article:
Anyway it quickly became apparent that recreational bike riding was not so much a sport as an epidemic in these parts. Just for kicks, I counted the cyclists who passed me on the road in the 15 minutes I was waiting for AAA to arrive to change my tire and no fewer than 52 trolled by.
Wow. She just admitted she's too stupid to change a damn tire in public.

Last edited by kookaburra1701; 08-17-11 at 11:14 PM. Reason: avoiding serial posting
Old 08-18-11, 10:53 AM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
A coasting freewheel or freehub sounds a lot like a rattlesnake to a horse. Give horses a lot of room. Dumb as rocks and big as cars.
Old 08-18-11, 12:08 PM
Tem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ever since I saw this video, I pass horses as widely as possible:

Here's a nice civil discussion about cyclists and horses sharing the road.
https://www.horseforum.com/trail-ridi...iquette-91591/
Old 08-18-11, 12:21 PM
chrisb71

Bikes: 09 Jamis Aurora, 4 Giant ATX 870, 64 Schwin Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the fact that they were waving her around suggests to me that there was room to pass and she didn't want to move over. Probably because of the magic double line.
She mentions they were on a curve she could not see around a few paragraphs before, so I assume they were on a long curve on the side of a hill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.