Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

vintage BMX and MTB!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

vintage BMX and MTB!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-05, 03:35 PM
stumpjumper
Lagomorph Demonicus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
vintage BMX and MTB!

Well, I've never realy been one to get into vintage BMX, and only dabbled in "vintage" monuntain bikes (started riding mtb's in about 1988, so when I see people say their '98 Fisher or whatever is "vintage", I get the giggles).

Anyway..

I seem to have lucked out over the past 2 days.
Found on the side of the road: 1985 Schwinn Enduro MTB. 22" wheels (!) dia-compe cantis, shimano shifters/deraileur, bullmoose bars. Whats more, it seems to be an early attempt at a childs mtb.
Found at Goodwill, $10: unidentified BMX bike with headtube gusset and MotoMags (remember those?!) still looking to identify the frame and components, but its mid 70's easily. will post a pic if anyone knows vintage BMX and can help me out.
Also found a 1986 (by treks serial number system) Trek 950 MTB at Goodwill ($15). Lugged true-temper tubing and one of the first generations of shimano's LX group. Very cool seat tube cluster lug. Very nice condition, considering.

Yay me ^^
Old 01-10-05, 04:05 PM
pjbaz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try www.vintagebmx.com for identity issues of the bmx.

Could it possibly be a Mongoose? Having Motomags (if they're actually real ones) would place it as a goose.

PJ
Old 01-11-05, 08:31 AM
stumpjumper
Lagomorph Demonicus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
they're real motomags. The name is cast on the wheels. I've looked all over vintagebmx.com and googled everywhere. I realy havn't looked at the frame closely yet, so once I run down the serial numbers and pull the pad off of the top tube (its stuck pretty good- old pvc foam probably left in the sun) I might have more to search with.

Looking at most of the Mongoose's (geese?), they dont seem to match the rear dropouts on my bike. I'm guessing someone put the wheels on another bike. either way, it cant be older than '74 since thats when performance bmx (later to become mongoose) started making motomags.

Guess it will be fun to try to find out what it is. Even if its not, I'll still probably fix it up and ride it just to hear the rumble of those metal wheels with the 2" moto-studded knobbies
Old 01-11-05, 09:25 AM
pjbaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you try posting a pic on VBMX? Those folks seem to know everything...kinda like on here...

PJ
Old 01-12-05, 02:50 PM
stumpjumper
Lagomorph Demonicus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have uncovered a model name under the stuck pads. Its a Thunder Trail HP88. Never heard of it. Neither had Google. I'll get that pic up soon, I'm starting to get curious....
Old 01-13-05, 12:04 PM
pjbaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neither have I.

PJ