Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Fitting a Singlespeed For a Bigger Guy

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 06-16-13, 11:26 AM
Dreizehn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm in the market for a new bike and I have been thinking about looking into a single speed. The thing is, is i'm a bigger guy. I weigh in at 280. I have a hybrid i've been riding for a while now, and those are bigger bikes. I ride daily for fun, and would like something that is a little different. My question is, should I even bother with a single speed since those are smaller frames and i'm a bigger guy.
Old 06-16-13, 12:17 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Singlespeeds come in all sizes, just like geared bikes.
Old 06-16-13, 02:04 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What he said; a LOT of singlespeeds are converted geared bikes, anyway. And even the purpose-built SS's come in a variety of sizes.

The minute you bring a preconceived notion to the table, somebody in the bike industry will show you something that's BEEN in place to knock you down. Open your MIND, young Padowan.
Old 06-17-13, 11:14 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
It may boil down to the Mash Factor - Single speed fellows can slow on hills requiring them to really mash the pedals to keep moving - This is not a bad thing but having a 280# plus guy on a bike and then torquing it down on a mash could really put some strain on a frame...

Hey... Could that be another bumper sticker?... "Strain Your Frame"

Last edited by zandoval; 06-17-13 at 11:32 AM.