Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Squealing brakes (new pads, toed in)

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Squealing brakes (new pads, toed in)

Old 05-26-20, 07:19 AM
  #1  
majhi
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Squealing brakes (new pads, toed in)

Hello all! I recently purchased a new bike (with V-brakes) and the front brake pads that came with it are really loud (but not the rear brakes, which are fine). I've already toed the pads in and adjusted the cable tension to varying extents in my attempts to fix it with mixed success (depending on toe angle). I've now gotten them quiet-ish, but they still squeal a bit. This leads me to two questions: 1) once the brakes have been broken in after a few rides, will this problem be resolved, and 2) could it be the compound of the pads themselves? Thanks in advance!
majhi is offline  
Old 05-26-20, 08:20 AM
  #2  
Chuckles1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Foothills of West Central Maine
Posts: 187

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Don't know if it will resolve, but could be the compound. I recently got new aluminum wheels and had squeal and shudder on front with dual compound Kool Stop black and salmon V brake pads. I put on a set of Red Kool Stops, and braking is quiet, smooth, and strong. I think the red pads are soft relative to the black and salmon.
Chuckles1 is offline  
Old 05-26-20, 08:28 AM
  #3  
GeezyRider 
Another Bozo on the Bus
 
GeezyRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Delaware Sea Shore
Posts: 234

Bikes: Panasonic DX-3000, Trek Multitrack 720, Mercier Galaxy SC1, Raleigh Pursuit, Retrospec Judd, Rans Stratus LE, Catrike Trail, EZ-1 SC, BikeE E2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Two easy things you can try are rubbing the brake pads over some sand paper and cleaning the braking surface on the rim with alcohol. This has worked for me in the past.
__________________
Don
GeezyRider is offline  
Likes For GeezyRider:
Old 05-26-20, 06:14 PM
  #4  
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Posts: 30,027

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1498 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 269 Posts
My first trick is to dress up the brake pads with a fingernail emery board. It's just the right grit, it's nice and flat, and my wife (unknowingly) buys them for me. That works about 90% of the time. The other 10% can be a PITA.
__________________
My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.
Retro Grouch is online now  
Old 05-27-20, 06:28 AM
  #5  
majhi
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tried sanding them down a touch with an emery board and also wiping the rim with rubbing alcohol. Neither trick seemed to work.
majhi is offline  
Old 05-28-20, 07:01 AM
  #6  
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Posts: 11,709

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 214 Posts
Is this a cheap dept. store bike by any chance? One thing that can cause squeal is cheap calipers that flex under braking. In that case, the fix would be to replace the cheap V-Brakes with some better quality ones.
BlazingPedals is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.