Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

Rate the last movie you watched

Notices
Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

Rate the last movie you watched

Old 07-21-20, 02:59 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,107 Posts
March or Die (1977) -- 6/10
Talented cast, if miscast. Good looking movie. Utterly dreary and forgettable. Couldn't even finish watching. Turned it off after an hour of barely paying attention. Who knew a movie about the French Foreign Legion could be so boring.
Old 07-21-20, 12:40 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I watched The Vast of Night on Amazon. Low budget homage to Twilight Zone style sci-fi mystery. Some people seem to love this movie or really hate it. I thought it was okay. At least it was short and didn't overstay its welcome. 6.5/10
Likes For bikecrate:
Old 07-21-20, 03:14 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 158 Posts
Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey (blah blah)

It's a documentary about what a nightmare the filming and production of The Island of Dr. Moreau turned out to be. I rather stumbled across this while reading about a similar situation with Apocalypse Now, and attempting to find it's documentary as well.
The story behind the whole situation, and really with both movies, was quite interesting from a hearing about the drama and travails part. The production itself as an enjoyable to watch documentary less much so. I will say that I was not aware of the connections behind both movies inspiration and authors. Marlon's antics alone were worth the story being told. Just the same the little nugs did not outweigh the sheer boredom and building lack of the interest that drew me to it. Ended up sort of dozing off for a part.
4/10
Old 07-21-20, 08:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by bikecrate View Post
I watched The Vast of Night on Amazon. Low budget homage to Twilight Zone style sci-fi mystery. Some people seem to love this movie or really hate it. I thought it was okay. At least it was short and didn't overstay its welcome. 6.5/10
I watched it a few weeks ago and enjoyed it -- especially picking out the many influences and references to other movies and TV shows. Yeah, kinda tropey and maybe too clever for its own good, but fun.

Then I found out last week a friend was the producer. I had no idea.

So I watched it again. Well, the first half. The rat-a-tat patter is fun. I need to finish watching it again because, to be honest, I can't remember how it ended. That might be where the movie sorta fizzled after a snappy beginning.
Old 07-22-20, 08:31 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 1,162 Times in 788 Posts
Over the last several days I watched:

Centurion. Lots of bloody slaughter battles and fighting, but really a chase movie watching the people in the chase die off one by one. Great scenery in a cool or cold climate, which is really the reason to watch this inside in cool AC avoiding the heat on a hot summer day. As a reason to sit in the AC and have a little escape from reality, I'll give it 7 out of 10 stars. Watching this any other time of the year, or expecting a plot that makes you think lowers this to 5 out of 10 stars.

The Giant Mechanical Man. A date movie, plain and simple. Watch it with someone you love and you may rate it 9 out of 10 stars. If you actually watch it for the acting, I'd rate it 5 out of 10 stars. If you just went through a break up and hate the opposite sex, you'll rate it 0 out of 10 stars, or less.
Old 07-22-20, 09:00 AM
bikecrate

I watched Come to Daddy. Billed as a comedy. I'd say a really dark comedy. Elijah Wood plays a son who comes to visit the father he has not seen since he was 3. Even though dad invited him, he acts very strange towards his son. As the movie progresses we find out why. I liked it, although a bit gruesome at the end. 7/10
Old 07-22-20, 11:01 PM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 36 Posts
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid - 1973. Based on the true story of Pat Garrett battling his conscience between justice and his fondness of his friend Billy the Kid. Will the old sheriff clip Billy’s wings?

Great soundtrack and a laidback type of movie not made anymore. Loved it.

Old 07-24-20, 08:34 AM
bikecrate

I watched True Grit, the Jeff Bridges remake. Funny I don't usually like westerns, but I've been watching a bunch lately. Good movie. 7.5/10
Likes For bikecrate:
Old 07-27-20, 05:52 AM
bikecrate

I watched War Horse this weekend. Good movie. Maybe a little sentimental, but who doesn't need to tear up now and then. 7.5/10
Old 07-27-20, 06:30 AM
CharlesClark

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
War Horse is a good movie really. My Gf made me watch Step up it was ok 5/10
Old 07-27-20, 11:20 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3362 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 257 Posts
I watched "Der Hauptmann" (The Captain, 2017) last week. It's a fact based story about a German deserter in the desperate days of the Third Reich who finds a captain's uniform and starts acting like one to avoid beeing punished for desertion. It's a bit like Sin City meets Schindler's List, Mad Max, and with a bit of farce mixed in. It's tense, fast paced, funny and horrible. It's in German and I assume subtitled and not dubbed which is of course much better, especially with WWII movies. It's in black and white which adds to the aestethic, historic and post-apocalyptical feel. It's not perfect and I got the feeling there was a true masterpiece in it that didn't fully came out, but it is highly original, different but not in a too arty and needlessly difficult way. Solid 8 out of 10.
Old 07-28-20, 12:31 PM
bikecrate

Originally Posted by Stadjer View Post
I watched "Der Hauptmann" (The Captain, 2017) last week. It's a fact based story about a German deserter in the desperate days of the Third Reich who finds a captain's uniform and starts acting like one to avoid beeing punished for desertion. It's a bit like Sin City meets Schindler's List, Mad Max, and with a bit of farce mixed in. It's tense, fast paced, funny and horrible. It's in German and I assume subtitled and not dubbed which is of course much better, especially with WWII movies. It's in black and white which adds to the aestethic, historic and post-apocalyptical feel. It's not perfect and I got the feeling there was a true masterpiece in it that didn't fully came out, but it is highly original, different but not in a too arty and needlessly difficult way. Solid 8 out of 10.
I watched last night. At first you think of the private/captain as a kind of survivor/hero, but then he quickly descends into corruption. I thought the end credits were an effective twist showing the actors playing their roles in modern times.
Old 07-28-20, 12:57 PM
Stadjer

I watched last night. At first you think of the private/captain as a kind of survivor/hero, but then he quickly descends into corruption. I thought the end credits were an effective twist showing the actors playing their roles in modern times.
Mmm, one of the reasons it's not a 9 out of 10 for me is that the end was a bit like a fade out in a song that should end with some kind of bang. I believe it would have been a more powerful film if it ended in the camp. So maybe that's why I didn't appreciate the credits that much, the end was already overdue, and it wasn't really subtle anyway. What I liked about was feeling some kind of sympathy for the evil and beeing disappointed with the good ones.

But if this is your kind of movie, you might enjoy Devils at the Doorstep too. That was definetely a 9 out 10 for me. Also black and white but surprisingly accessible despite it's in Chinese. Black and white allows for a lot of cost saving I guess so it often comes with more artistic freedom.
Old 07-29-20, 04:54 AM
bobokat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CharlesClark View Post
War Horse is a good movie really. My Gf made me watch Step up it was ok 5/10
War Horse is a good movie, I agree. As for Step Up, I think it deserves a higher rating than 5/10, as the film is pretty good in my opinion. Perhaps you were skeptical about this because of the genre.
Old 07-29-20, 08:49 AM
bikecrate

Originally Posted by Stadjer View Post
Mmm, one of the reasons it's not a 9 out of 10 for me is that the end was a bit like a fade out in a song that should end with some kind of bang. I believe it would have been a more powerful film if it ended in the camp. So maybe that's why I didn't appreciate the credits that much, the end was already overdue, and it wasn't really subtle anyway. What I liked about was feeling some kind of sympathy for the evil and beeing disappointed with the good ones.

But if this is your kind of movie, you might enjoy Devils at the Doorstep too. That was definetely a 9 out 10 for me. Also black and white but surprisingly accessible despite it's in Chinese. Black and white allows for a lot of cost saving I guess so it often comes with more artistic freedom.
I suppose I saw it as a separate element from the main movie. Not quite like breaking the 4th wall, but something like that. I think we can agree that the movie is worth watching. Thanks, I might check out your other recommendation too.
Old 07-29-20, 08:54 AM
bikecrate

Watched Dolemite is My Name with Eddie Murphy. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Basic story of an underdog who succeeds in the entertainment industry. 7/10
Old 07-30-20, 12:31 PM
CharlesClark

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bobokat View Post
War Horse is a good movie, I agree. As for Step Up, I think it deserves a higher rating than 5/10, as the film is pretty good in my opinion. Perhaps you were skeptical about this because of the genre.
It was not the first part, I think it was third. First one was good I agree.
Old 07-31-20, 09:42 AM
bikecrate

I watched Mission of Honor on Netflix. The story is about the Polish pilots who fly for the RAF during the Blitz. I appreciated the CGI was not overdone to look like a video game. However, it could have been a better movie. Some of it was not quite historical either. 6/10
Old 07-31-20, 12:13 PM
Stadjer

I suppose I saw it as a separate element from the main movie. Not quite like breaking the 4th wall, but something like that. I think we can agree that the movie is worth watching. Thanks, I might check out your other recommendation too.
It was certainly worth watching, I haven't enjoyed a movie that much for a long time. The friend I watched it with enjoyed the credits too and we're usually on the same page. I guess I've just grown a bit allergic to images of fascism in the modern days exactly like back then. I've seen too much of that here, I like it when it's less obvious, less one dimensional but you kind of have to discover it yourself. That's also why I liked this movie that much, movies or other stories with nazi's as the ultimate evil vs the good I've seen or heard enough, I liked all these different shades of evil and the question how people have grown into that in this movie. I like it when a WWII movie confuses me a bit on morality, till after the credits.
Old 08-04-20, 10:44 AM
Stadjer

I watched Scabbard Samurai yesterday. It was on tv but I had seen in the cinema before. Had a great laugh again, it's another movie very unlike anything I had seen before. Fairytale, slapstick, Japanes humor, honour, sometimes drifting into sports film territory, a surprising combination and quite accessible, great shots too. 9 out of 10.
Old 08-06-20, 12:30 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 1,162 Times in 788 Posts
I watched Coriolanus last night.

Going in, I had no idea it was a Shakespeare play set in modern times on film. It took a few minutes of listening to the foreign language that is from Shakespeare's time to know something wasn't normal. As hard as it is for me to set my brain to Shakespearean speech, the visuals and acting drew me in where I began to understand it well after about 15 minutes. Seems like it's like that for me with anything written 400 years ago.

Ralph Fiennes was Coriolanus and his moments of intensity in the film were fantastic. Gerard Butler spoke in his heavy mumbled Scottish accent that made understanding Shakespeare speak difficult. The remainder of the supporting cast were very good. Overall the film is very good and is far removed from feeling like a play or being written long ago. Aside from the speech used, of course.

For me, this movie was a 9 out of 10 and that's coming from a guy that hates plays.
Old 08-09-20, 02:24 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Triangle (2009) with Melissa George. 7/10

Another "stuck in a loop" movie, with the main character trying to figure out how to stop the repeating loop and get back to what she presumes to be her "real life" -- exactly like the other "hers".

Melissa George salvages the movie with her acting chops and commitment, making her character(s) remarkably sympathetic despite her/their many awful choices. But it's a bit too tropey with gratuitous violence.

In the same vein I preferred Coherence (2013), a very low budget indie film on the same theme. Unfortunately it, too, resorts to unnecessary and gratuitous violence in a movie that's otherwise rather clever and cerebral in the style of the 1960s Twilight Zone.
Old 08-09-20, 03:03 PM
Yesboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jurassic Park 2
6/10
Old 08-10-20, 06:16 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by gios View Post
A Bridge Too Far (1977) on Netflix. Great scene with James Caan and a 1911.

Great cast: Sean Connery, Ryan O'Neal, Gene Hackman, Michael Byrne, Dirk Bogarde, Edward Fox, Michael Caine, Anthony Hopkins, (as mentioned James Caan), Colin Farrell (must have missed him), Maximilian Schell, Liv Ullman, Laurence Olivier, Elliott Gould, Robert Redford, Denholm Elliott (Raiders of the lost Ark), and lots more recognized but their names escape me. Even the postman from Cheers.

No cgi. No drone shots.

Film Review: A Bridge Too Far 1-1-18

eleven C-47 aircraft and dropped 1000 parachutists, including paratroopers from the British and Dutch armies.
Fantastic! I had no idea Cliff John Ratzenberger was in that. Will have to look for him.

Edit: Mind BLOWN! He was also in The Empire Strikes Back: Rebel Force Major Derlin! Holy cow.

Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
Hidden Fortress 1958 Director Kurosawa. Great movie!

As some of you may know, this movie was part of the inspiration for Star Wars.
Hah, I came across this flick on VHS. I have started watching it two or three times, and haven't made it very far. Not sure why, as I enjoy foreign films, Kurosawa, etc. I'll have to try again.

We watched "Rango" for our family movie night last week. I hadn't seen it, and enjoyed it, even for how derivative it was. Oh, and we watched The Fifth Element a couple of weeks ago. My wife and I really enjoy this movie, but the kids? Eh, it's slow. :|

Last edited by Chinghis; 08-10-20 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Duped a reply
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 08-11-20, 04:08 PM
calamarichris
Horse Categorie

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts
Exorcist (the 1973 original) - 8 out o 10. Very good. But didn't she speak Latin in reverse in the book? Haven't seen it since I was in my low-teens (30 years ago) and it made a lot more sense now.

The Bicycle Thieves. (1948). 10 of 10! Jesus. I couldn't sleep after watching it. Brilliant! (First time watching it.)
Likes For calamarichris:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.