Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

prioritizing on a budget

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

prioritizing on a budget

Old 11-19-20, 06:55 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
1. Do clipless pedals only work with certain shoes..I.e can I not get any clip shoe or it has to be for that pedal?
You'll want shoes that are 2-bolt compatible. Road style use 3-bolt cleats. Cleat adapters exist, but there's no reason you would want to get the wrong style shoe and then use one when you already intend to use MTB-style pedals.

3.why float should I choose on the shoe?
Float is determined by the cleat, not the shoe. You can experiment with different floats, but unless you have massive issues with whatever the standard is, it's not something you need to go out of your way to worry about.

4. is a bike fit smart investment to get in a fitness bike? I thought they are more for road
They aren't just for road bikes, but for your intended 20ish mile rides, I think it could be overkill unless you have specific pain that isn't due to simple fatigue.

5. lastly what is a spd (2 clip) pedal and shoe combo you can recommend for under 200 dollars?
The cheapest pedal you can find and the most expensive shoe that fits your feet well. People have very different foot shapes, and there's no one brand that works for all. If you cannot buy locally, then you really should buy from online shops with free returns or easy exchanges.
Likes For surak:
Old 11-19-20, 07:15 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
My bike: Trek FX 3
Reason for riding: mental relaxation, fitness and just joy of exploring things by bike instead of car

no I have not had a bike fit

i want to ride 10-20 miles usually do 10-12

i judge how hard I ride through heart rate monitor on a watch , currently

right now I can spare 200usd
Your phone is fine for now, I'd spring for a platform/spd pedal like Shimano pd-m324 and a decent set of relaxed mtb shoes. It'll give you the benefits of SPD and still let you ride without the shoes when you want. If you can find the shoes on sale you might be able to get the pedals, shoes and cadance computer.

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
All three are a waste of money if you aren’t racing, or a wannabe local club legend that dreams of slaying KOMs.
Nonsense.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 11-20-20, 08:57 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
3.why float should I choose on the shoe?

4. is a bike fit smart investment to get in a fitness bike? I thought they are more for road bikes
Try an experiment. Sitting on the edge of your seat, lift a leg, pull it up toward your torso and then extend it as though you were pedaling. Watch your foot as you do this. If your foot stays pretty close to a given angle from vertical during that pedaling, you can probably be fit with an SPD (or similar) cleat, but you'll want to get the angle just right (or it will make your knees hurt!). Either buy the pedals and shoes at your local bike shop (LBS) and ask for help getting the cleats on right; a good shop will do some minor fitting as part of the purchase price. If you buy them online, you can still ask the LBS for help, but they'll probably charge you for shop time -- and you can ask for more extensive fitting help.

If your foot in that "pedaling" experiment wanders through an arc, you may want to look at pedals with more free float. The late, lamented Speedplay Frog pedal had mammoth free float. Current pedals include Time ATAC or Crank Brothers.

Originally Posted by caloso
If I had a nickel for every time I read on BF "________ isn't worth it if you aren't racing". . . . I could afford a new power meter.
Dang it, you made me spit my coffee out! New thread time: How do I clean up my keyboard after I spit over it reading bikeforums?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-20-20, 09:15 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Based on what the OP posted, and assuming he is a beginning rider, I would get an inexpensive cyclo computer first. I would skip the shoes, pedals and power meter until the OP determined how much he was into cycling. If OP really gets into it, then save your money for those things. By then you may want to upgrade you bike too.

I also going to assume you already bought safety equipment, lights etc. Otherwise, I'd say that would be the first priority.
Likes For bikecrate:
Old 11-20-20, 09:39 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
For the riding you describe, none of the above. Unless you just want to spend money to have such things. And, other than the sensors, $200 will not get you decent pedals and shoes or a power meter. $300 will get you decent shoes and clipless pedals. $300 minimum will get you a decent power meter.

Spend $65 on a QuadLock phone mount, and download the free MapMyRide app or similar. That will give you all the ride info you will probably need. I used it for quite a while until I wanted to work to ramp up my speed, distance, and technique, and started multi-hour rides.

Unless you are racing, a "professional bike fit" is probably a waste of money. You can learn about bike fit, and do all of the adjustments yourself. It's not that hard.

Spend the other $135 on something fun, and makes you smile when you ride.
Old 11-20-20, 12:30 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
For the riding you describe, none of the above. Unless you just want to spend money to have such things. And, other than the sensors, $200 will not get you decent pedals and shoes or a power meter. $300 will get you decent shoes and clipless pedals. $300 minimum will get you a decent power meter.

Spend $65 on a QuadLock phone mount, and download the free MapMyRide app or similar. That will give you all the ride info you will probably need. I used it for quite a while until I wanted to work to ramp up my speed, distance, and technique, and started multi-hour rides.
OK, this got me curious (just how much HAVE prices gone up??). REI, not the cheapest place to buy things, has 15 men's MTB shoes at or under $100 (arbitrary limit). Shimano M540 pedals are $80. Even with sales tax, less than $200.

Distance, speed, and cadence you can get with a $50-60 wired cyclometer. Cheaper than your phone mount.

At least for OP's desires, perfect is the enemy of good enough.
Old 11-20-20, 01:02 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
I think I'll revise my opinion on priorites to the following:

Pinned platform pedals, a small, cheap bike computer for speed and distance, and some cheap shoes you like to walk around it. Use the rest for a nice cycling jacket, shorts, or whatever.
Old 11-20-20, 01:04 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
all you really need is a bike
Old 11-20-20, 01:22 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
OK, this got me curious (just how much HAVE prices gone up??). REI, not the cheapest place to buy things, has 15 men's MTB shoes at or under $100 (arbitrary limit). Shimano M540 pedals are $80. Even with sales tax, less than $200.

Distance, speed, and cadence you can get with a $50-60 wired cyclometer. Cheaper than your phone mount.

At least for OP's desires, perfect is the enemy of good enough.
Well, you are right on the MTB gear, but he has a street bike. I know that MTB gear can be used on the FX3, but road gear would be a better fit for the types of rides the OP does.

Yes, you can get wired computers pretty cheaply, but then you have the wires wrapped around your tubes everywhere and magnets on the spokes and all that goes with that. For $300 you can get a older new Garmin with wireless sensors that works very well, but just doesn't have the bells and whistles of the newer models.
Old 11-22-20, 12:46 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
In what order would you buy the following items if you were on a budget, I already have an iPhone and use my wife's Apple Watch during my rides

- speed and cadence sensor
- power meter
-clipless pedals and shoes
1. Power meter. A good training program can give you 50 Watts in 3 months.
2. Clipless pedals and shoes. They do nothing for power, but are more comfortable especially on long rides.
3. Speed and cadence sensor. Speed doesn't matter. You can count out a cadence if you're not pedaling fast enough.
Old 11-22-20, 12:46 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Well, you are right on the MTB gear, but he has a street bike. I know that MTB gear can be used on the FX3, but road gear would be a better fit for the types of rides the OP does.

Yes, you can get wired computers pretty cheaply, but then you have the wires wrapped around your tubes everywhere and magnets on the spokes and all that goes with that. For $300 you can get a older new Garmin with wireless sensors that works very well, but just doesn't have the bells and whistles of the newer models.
I've used SPD shoes and pedals on rides up to 200 miles. They work great and are superior when you're running through stores for restroom breaks and water refills.

On a budget, you can also do much better with a refurbished Garmin. I paid ~$180 for the last Edge 800 I bought, because the 810 software crashed on roundabouts and I didn't like how newer models eliminated the programmable odometer which I use for tracking replacement intervals.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 11-23-20 at 12:27 PM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 11-22-20, 01:13 PM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
If your goal is to ride 10-20 miles on a Trek 3 , I would think all you would need is a bike ,water, and a smile. Save your funds and but the wife a small gift. Happy wife= happy life. lol
Old 11-22-20, 03:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
The most I'd get would be a cheap cyclocomputer with a speed sensor. That way, you'll know how far you've gone, and how fast. If you can get a cadence sensor as part of the package, go ahead! But for what you want, it's not necessary. Alternatively, the bike mount for your iPhone, and leave the Apple Watch at home.

Clipless pedals and the shoes to go with them are not important yet, for the riding you want to do. Power meter, even less so.

If you start monitoring your speed and distance, you might find yourself wanting go farther, and faster. You may outgrow the FX3 and want something faster, and that's when I'd start thinking about clipless pedals.

As far as a bike fit goes, unless you have specific complaints, like your knees hurt, or you shoulders, or you hands go numb, I'd hold off till you're routinely doing >20 miles at a time. For me, the point when issues started to manifest was in the 30-40 mile range - when I was on the bike >2 hours. By that time your body will have adapted to cycling a bit, and your form will be more settled.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles