Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fix or walk?

Old 11-30-20, 11:31 AM
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel

Bikes: Rodriguez Racing Tandem, Fondriest Steelie, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 227 Posts
I always have a support car with at least two bikes on the roof in case I sneeze.

Might walk a quarter mile mile if I flatted.

The big IF on this thread is if you have cleats, SPD type shoes or army boots. Walking with cleats is no bueno.

ďHe who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.Ē- Fredrick Nietzsche

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-30-20, 12:01 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
If you had a puncture, how far from home would you decide to fix the puncture or just walk?
Two blocks.

Any more and the hassle of walking exceeds that of using my full size frame pump instead of my floor pump at home.
Old 11-30-20, 12:08 PM
Gary in NJ

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
Anything beyond a mile, and I'm breaking out the cell phone to get a ride home. My tools are at home...not on my bike.
Likes For Gary in NJ:
Old 11-30-20, 12:11 PM
alo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane View Post
Surely you're having us on?
If not, what on earth possessed you to do that, rather than a tyre liner (anti-puncture liner)?
What about the edges of the road tyre and it chafing a hole in the tube? Or the sidewalls of the larger tyre? That is not even a bodge, it's far beyond that.
I do things like that. Hopefully I will post some other things which are 'different' in the future. The people who like to keep things by the book may think some of my ideas are strange. Those with creative minds may like my ideas. Some things I have tried, I wont do again. Other things have been good ideas, and I will continue to use them. You often don't know how good an idea is until you try it.

Having a tire inside a tire actually worked well. I have not continued doing it, because it resulted in a rough ride. I am tall and fat challenged, often ride on rough trails, and have broken wheels. A more solid tire may result in breaking wheels more often. It may work well on a full suspension bike. It is extra weight, but having a little extra weight is better than walking a long way with a flat tire.

My latest idea is to use tubeless sealant inside the tube. This has worked well for me. I plan to continue doing this. I may or may not go fully tubeless in the future. Having tubeless sealant inside the tube makes it easy to save when you change the tire. I may start another topic on this in the future.

Last edited by alo; 11-30-20 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-30-20, 12:15 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2714 Post(s)
Liked 1,174 Times in 803 Posts
I stop and fix it. The exception might be starting a very long ride where I would rather keep all my patches and walk the (less than a) block plus driveway back to not go into my toolbag. Tube's gotta get repaired anyway. I have to take the wheel of, pull the tire anyway.
Old 11-30-20, 12:19 PM
Cpn_Dunsel

Bikes: FELT Breed 30; SPECIALIZED Chisel Comp; CANNONDALE SR 1000; TREK Cross Rip+; SPECIALIZED Epic Hardtail; SCHWINN Stingray; KONA Unit X

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Interesting question.

Depends on several conditions as not all rides start from home.
Old 11-30-20, 12:28 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 132 Posts
It takes me about 15 minutes to change a flat, so if I can walk home in roughly the same time, then I will walk. I'd rather change a flat in the comfort of my own home than out on the road in 90 degree weather if I can avoid it.
Likes For bikecrate:
Old 11-30-20, 12:43 PM
genejockey
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace

Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 841 Posts
Hmmm. Probably about 1/4 mile. Much more than that and it's too uncomfortable walking.

I did once flat about 100 yards from home. Just starting my ride. Casing cut ruined the brand new tire. BRAND. NEW. TIRE. So I walked home, swearing loudly the entire way.
Old 11-30-20, 12:46 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by alo View Post
I do things like that. Hopefully I will post some other things which are 'different' in the future. The people who like to keep things by the book may think some of my ideas are strange. Those with creative minds may like my ideas. Some things I have tried, I wont do again. Other things have been good ideas, and I will continue to use them. You often don't know how good an idea is until you try it.

Having a tire inside a tire actually worked well. I have not continued doing it, because it resulted in a rough ride. I am tall and fat challenged, often ride on rough trails, and have broken wheels. A more solid tire may result in breaking wheels more often. It may work well on a full suspension bike. It is extra weight, but having a little extra weight is better than walking a long way with a flat tire.

My latest idea is to use tubeless sealant inside the tube. This has worked well for me. I plan to continue doing this. I may or may not go fully tubeless in the future. Having tubeless sealant inside the tube makes it easy to save when you change the tire. I may start another topic on this in the future.
It's not about doing things "differently". You can do that while doing a good job. Putting a smaller tyre into a bigger tyre instead of tyreliners or just more puncture resistant tyres is not merely "different". A more "solid" tyre will not break the rims any more than a hard pumped one or due to what's causing a pinch-flat.
The reason I wouldn't use sealant inside a tube as your latest idea is because 1) it makes patching the tube unfeasible, and 2) at that point, I'd rather go tubeless so I can plug the tyre itself.

I did notice one of your ideas in that other thread where you touted the solar panel light and the clown-car horn (no idea what they're actually called - but those things with a rubber bulb you squeeze).
I'm all for doing things differently, but another tyre inside your tyres, slime inside tubes, a solar paneled (probably with a NiMH battery inside) torch/horn combo, and a clown horn, you can understand why I thought you were pulling our proverbial leg.
Old 11-30-20, 12:53 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Where I live it is uphill to home from any direction. Maybe walk a block, but that's it. The reason I carry a tube, patch kit, and pump is so i don't have to walk.
Old 11-30-20, 12:57 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 918 Times in 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C View Post
A few blocks. I'd have to fix it either way. It's not that much easier at home.

I'd also consider pumping it and seeing how far I could get.
I have done this successfully a few times. Once, I had to ride about a mile, the other times it was more like 30 miles. Only for slow leaks though.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 11-30-20, 01:03 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3404 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 451 Posts
A good number of 'uncomfortable walking' references. Hint: take off your shoes. Works in dry weather anyway, and above 40 degrees.
Old 11-30-20, 01:08 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud View Post
I flatted maybe 1 mile from home. Next time Iíll bite the bullet and repair it. A mile in cleats is a pain in the arse, especially given that I couldíve fixed the flat and ridden home in less time. Anything more than a few hundred yards, Iíll fix roadside
I have cleat covers, but even at that, a mile is a long way to duck-walk.
A mile is also a long way to walk in lycra through your neighbourhood.
I'd happily walk my bike a mile or more in street shoes/runners, and in casual clothes. But then again, most times when I'm in flat shoes I'm not riding very far, and probably don't even have repair stuff with me.

I recently, after using 2 tubes and an aborted patch attempt, had to tie a knot in the tube and ride 3 miles home. I was less than a mile from the LBS at the time, so that would have been my next port of call.
Old 11-30-20, 01:16 PM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 179 Posts
Depends on the location and also the weather. I wouldn't want do the fixing in crowded or dodgy areas, or in freezing temperatures or under heavy rain. 30-40 min walk is fine, since I ride flat pedals in regular shoes, any more than that and I will fix it.
Old 11-30-20, 01:17 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 285 Posts
I fix the flat then and there. Once during the club Sunday ride, with about 5 more miles to go, I caught up to another rider who had flatted while on sew ups with carbon rims. He was riding what was left of his rim back to our start point. This has always puzzled me and it has just occurred to me he may not have been part of our group.
Old 11-30-20, 01:24 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene View Post
A good number of 'uncomfortable walking' references. Hint: take off your shoes. Works in dry weather anyway, and above 40 degrees.
I wear a prosthetic foot on my stump on the left side - taking off the shoe on that won't help. On the right side I'm not taking off my shoes either in order to walk anywhere. That is asking for trouble.

Walking tends to make me "piston" in the prosthetic especially if it's hot out (= chafing), while riding a bike doesn't. I wear shoes I can actually walk in, but I still repair a flat there and then.
Old 11-30-20, 01:35 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Trek 510 city build, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 419 Posts
You'll know you're hard core when you patch a tubular in 90F weather so you don't have to walk home. Pre-cellphone days.
Old 11-30-20, 01:44 PM
genejockey
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace

Walk in stocking feet over the same surface where you just punctured a tire. Sure.
Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-30-20, 02:21 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Walk in stocking feet over the same surface where you just punctured a tire. Sure.
Yeah. Not like you're moving 20mph any more; most people can look where they're walking. Or, if you're not on the bike, sidewalks when available are also ok to use. As is grass if that's available off the roadway.
Old 11-30-20, 02:31 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Trek Madone 2.3, '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
Finishing a 100 mile ride. I hit some glass in the street one mile from home. I walked.
Just last week I got a flat on mile 97 of a 100 mile ride, but I was only like 500 yards from home and still had 3 miles to go to get 100, and getting dark, and there was no way I was walking home to do the repair, since I was tired and KNEW that once I got home, I'd probably drink a beer (or two) to "rehydrate" while doing the flat repair, and I'd probably not get back out to do the final 3 miles, and who wants to post a 97 mile ride on Strava. So I did the repair on the side of the road, finished the century, and then replenished!

But to answer the question, had I'd been JRA, I'd walk a mile or less home. If further, I'd call my SO for a pickup.

OTOH, if in the woods on MTB in the foothills of Denver, I'd HAVE to walk up to 8 miles to get to an auto road, and even then I might not have cell phone reception to call for a pickup, and I'd likely have to reply on a friendly stranger to give me a lift to civilization.

Last edited by Riveting; 11-30-20 at 03:00 PM.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 11-30-20, 02:56 PM
genejockey
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I've had to walk > 1 mile twice. Once was pre-cell phone, and after flatting from a cut casing 6 miles from home and then flatting the spare tube 2 miles from home - even though it was booted with a Clif Bar wrapper - I walked.

The second time was when I foolishly trusted my fate to a CO2 inflater that I'd practiced with but not used in years, and blew out 2 cartridges a mile from my car. I considered calling my wife to come pick me up and drive me to my car, but I felt like I owed penance for my folly.

Yeah. Not like you're moving 20mph any more; most people can look where they're walking. Or, if you're not on the bike, sidewalks when available are also ok to use. As is grass if that's available off the roadway.
Your gutter pans may be cleaner and less full of debris than ours, and possibly your grass isn't dead and bristly 8 months of the year. I did consider this the two times I had to walk, and discarded the idea when I thought about where I'd have to walk.
Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-30-20, 03:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 12527 Post(s)
Liked 4,650 Times in 2,396 Posts
Or, if you're not on the bike, sidewalks when available are also ok to use.
Come to Philly broaden your horizons.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-30-20, 03:21 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Trek Madone 2.3, '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane View Post
Surely you're having us on?
If not, what on earth possessed you to do that, rather than a tyre liner (anti-puncture liner)?
What about the edges of the road tyre and it chafing a hole in the tube? Or the sidewalls of the larger tyre? That is not even a bodge, it's far beyond that.
Maybe it was a tubular tire inside the larger tire? No chaffing that way. But then again, why put in a $75 tubular tire when a $4 tube of the right size would work?
Likes For Riveting:
Old 11-30-20, 04:04 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Come to Philly broaden your horizons.
I'm in NYC. So, I'm pretty much in the city if I'm anywhere within about 4 miles from my home. Not that I'd walk that far, but yes, I'd walk the sidewalks in socks if somehow the circumstances made sense to (too close to Uber, and somehow I forgot to bring spare tubes or my pump broke). It's the dog waste that's the primary lookout IMO. Duck walking in road cleats I'd probably put up with maybe 4-5 blocks (~1/4 mile or so).
Old 11-30-20, 04:20 PM
margoC

Bikes: Caloi MTB, Raleigh heritage international

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I used to get sooo many flats

back when I was car free. I could fix a flat quick, it came as natural as breathing. Since I didn't have a car it only made sense to fix it then and there.

I regularly walk 4 miles, just did it today. But my riding is for a different purpose. I might not walk at all, I might call my spouse to pick me up and fix it in the comfort of home. If that's not an option I would probably walk a mile, fix if longer. Depends on the weather as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.