Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Mountain Bike Love

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Mountain Bike Love

Old 12-28-20, 03:48 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Mountain Bike Love

I'd love to have a mountain bike. I didn't realize how pricey they are.
Old 12-28-20, 08:40 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Well...

Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 12-29-20, 08:57 AM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
do you still have the cannondale M500? thats a mountain bike you know? ride what you got until you can afford more.
Likes For carlosponti:
Old 12-29-20, 12:04 PM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
I'd love to have a mountain bike. I didn't realize how pricey they are.
Me too. I'd love to have a "real" mountain bike but I can't justify the cost, given I live in the flat Midwest and my old GT hardtail is perfectly adequate for all the local forest preserve singletrack...
Old 12-29-20, 12:24 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
You can get a really capable brand-new hardtail for $800.

Also, this:

Likes For davei1980:
Old 12-29-20, 12:27 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by Miradaman
Me too. I'd love to have a "real" mountain bike but I can't justify the cost, given I live in the flat Midwest and my old GT hardtail is perfectly adequate for all the local forest preserve singletrack...
Old MTBs are great but they are so short, if you get into ANY sort of technical descending, the longer wheelbase and slacker geometry of today's bikes makes a HUGE difference, you no longer get that "I'm going to endo!" sensation.

Add in dropper posts and better disc brakes and today's bikes are so much safer and more capable, it's worth the jump. I ride a rigid MTB and I would put it against any full suspension bike made 20 years ago.
Old 12-29-20, 01:03 PM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Originally Posted by davei1980
Old MTBs are great but they are so short, if you get into ANY sort of technical descending, the longer wheelbase and slacker geometry of today's bikes makes a HUGE difference, you no longer get that "I'm going to endo!" sensation.

Add in dropper posts and better disc brakes and today's bikes are so much safer and more capable, it's worth the jump. I ride a rigid MTB and I would put it against any full suspension bike made 20 years ago.
Indeed, I've rented several new MTBs over the last few years on trips out to CO. There's no comparison, you'd get killed taking my old GT on some of the trails I took those rental bikes on. Not to mention you'd never be able to do the ascents, you'd be walking up the whole way...
Likes For Miradaman:
Old 12-29-20, 01:37 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Indeed, I've rented several new MTBs over the last few years on trips out to CO. There's no comparison, you'd get killed taking my old GT on some of the trails I took those rental bikes on. Not to mention you'd never be able to do the ascents, you'd be walking up the whole way...
Yeah they have come a long way!

Older, steel MTBs are enjoying somewhat of a renaissance right now for a different reason: They're plentiful (they made a gazillion of them), inexpensive, made of steel (durable), have upright riding positions and clearance for very wide tires. For all these reasons they make GREAT city bikes with very few modifications (fenders, decent tires, etc). Crust makes a fork to convert these bikes to accept a 20" front wheel so that you can haul a decent amount of cargo (like an 18 gallon plastic tote) over the front wheel. I have a Peugeot Crazy Horse hanging in my garage, as we speak, just waiting for me to get bored enough to turn it in to exactly this!
Likes For davei1980:
Old 12-29-20, 01:55 PM
Miradaman

Originally Posted by davei1980
Yeah they have come a long way!

Older, steel MTBs are enjoying somewhat of a renaissance right now for a different reason: They're plentiful (they made a gazillion of them), inexpensive, made of steel (durable), have upright riding positions and clearance for very wide tires. For all these reasons they make GREAT city bikes with very few modifications (fenders, decent tires, etc). Crust makes a fork to convert these bikes to accept a 20" front wheel so that you can haul a decent amount of cargo (like an 18 gallon plastic tote) over the front wheel. I have a Peugeot Crazy Horse hanging in my garage, as we speak, just waiting for me to get bored enough to turn it in to exactly this!
Most definitely. I've ridden 80s/90s era rigid steel MTBs/ATBs for the majority of my adult riding career. You simply can't beat them as everyday all-rounders, particularly in a city. Put street tires on, fenders, a rack and a couple of Wald folding baskets and you're good to go. I put 10,000+ miles on an early 90s Mirada Sport over 15 years of urban commuting/errand running/recreational riding with only the occasional trail ride. My current Mirada is pushing 3000 miles under my ownership over the last 8 years. Had a second duplicate Mirada at the same time when my kids were younger with a child seat mounted and then later used with a tandem attachment. Had a 90s Raleigh too that was a super fun ride that I ended up selling last summer during the COVID bike boom.
Likes For Miradaman:
Old 12-31-20, 10:19 AM
metz1295

Bikes: '97 Cannondale M500; '14 Specialized Secteur Compact; '21 Trek Roscoe 7

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by carlosponti
do you still have the cannondale M500? thats a mountain bike you know? ride what you got until you can afford more.
I have a '95 M500. Depending on the year and the tier, he doesn't have a suspension fork. By today's naming conventions it would be considered a hybrid commuter or city bike. I still use mine, but only for slow paced family rides to the park or on a paved trail. I can related to his question as I just bought my first "real" mountain bike after being a roadie for the past 6 years.
Likes For metz1295:
Old 01-04-21, 11:31 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Pick any hobby of sorts and good gear is going to cost a lot.

I have photography friends with $5000+ invested in equipment.

Fly fishing is one of my other hobbies. A good fly rod, reel and line alone will cost you about $800. That doesn't include waders which are $400-$800 and host of other miscellaneous equipment. I probably have close to $4000+ invested in fly fishing gear.

Ice fishing another hobby of mine...I easily have $3000+ invested in that.

If you like paddling...a kevlar canoe is $3000-$4000

It's not just limited to mountain biking.
Old 01-04-21, 11:53 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Go look at the videos of XC and DH World Cup runs from 1995-2005. Then compare those courses to a modern XC course is far far more technical than those older bikes were ever designed to handle. Most of those old World Cup courses would be greens on a modern trail map, some might get to blue.
There's really no comparison between and old bike and a modern bike with 5+" of suspension, massive hydraulic discs that you can brake with one finger, and 2.5in wide tires.
Likes For gsa103: