Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Squealing brakes (new pads, toed in)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-20, 07:19 AM
majhi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello all! I recently purchased a new bike (with V-brakes) and the front brake pads that came with it are really loud (but not the rear brakes, which are fine). I've already toed the pads in and adjusted the cable tension to varying extents in my attempts to fix it with mixed success (depending on toe angle). I've now gotten them quiet-ish, but they still squeal a bit. This leads me to two questions: 1) once the brakes have been broken in after a few rides, will this problem be resolved, and 2) could it be the compound of the pads themselves? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-26-20, 08:20 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Don't know if it will resolve, but could be the compound. I recently got new aluminum wheels and had squeal and shudder on front with dual compound Kool Stop black and salmon V brake pads. I put on a set of Red Kool Stops, and braking is quiet, smooth, and strong. I think the red pads are soft relative to the black and salmon.
Old 05-26-20, 08:28 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 226 Posts
Two easy things you can try are rubbing the brake pads over some sand paper and cleaning the braking surface on the rim with alcohol. This has worked for me in the past.
Old 05-26-20, 06:14 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
My first trick is to dress up the brake pads with a fingernail emery board. It's just the right grit, it's nice and flat, and my wife (unknowingly) buys them for me. That works about 90% of the time. The other 10% can be a PITA.
Old 05-27-20, 06:28 AM
majhi

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I tried sanding them down a touch with an emery board and also wiping the rim with rubbing alcohol. Neither trick seemed to work.
Old 05-28-20, 07:01 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Is this a cheap dept. store bike by any chance? One thing that can cause squeal is cheap calipers that flex under braking. In that case, the fix would be to replace the cheap V-Brakes with some better quality ones.