Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

It's a Jeep thing

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

It's a Jeep thing

Old 09-22-20, 10:59 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13397 Post(s)
Liked 4,683 Times in 2,629 Posts
It's a Jeep thing

Bike trail in southern California.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/36651/...p-a-bike-trail
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-23-20, 04:31 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts
That's what happens when you think you've bought skills and experience, but you've really just bought an overpriced poser-mobile. They'll have to drive to Starbucks after they get out of that jam.
Likes For billyymc:
Old 09-23-20, 08:03 AM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,075 Posts
Some trails are hiking only and for good reason.
Old 09-23-20, 08:17 AM
ahsposo 
Pounding Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 5092 Post(s)
Liked 2,158 Times in 1,304 Posts
So much for some really classic singletrack...
Old 09-23-20, 08:47 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 228 Posts
Use the Pugsley's winch to bail him out. Then high-five and raise a flute glass of Mich Ultra to salute his manliness.
Old 09-23-20, 10:35 AM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 219 Posts
Use a farm jack to send it rolling down. Then drive it home and buff out the scratches.
Likes For StupidlyBrave:
Old 09-23-20, 10:42 AM
Shimagnolo

Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 986 Posts
As a longtime CJ-5/Wrangler owner, this amuses me no end.
Now I need to send the link to the longtime friend who first got me into Jeeps. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 09-23-20, 10:51 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1920 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 305 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
As a longtime CJ-5/Wrangler owner, this amuses me no end.
Now I need to send the link to the longtime friend who first got me into Jeeps. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
I heard they were able to extract it somehow.

JL here

Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 09-23-20, 10:56 AM
Shimagnolo

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
I heard they were able to extract it somehow.

JL here
Only safe way I can think of is a heavy-lift helicopter, but I'd hate to think what that would cost.
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 09-23-20, 12:18 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 132 Posts
If it cost them some $$$ to remove then, hopefully, it will be a lesson to others not to do that stuff.
Old 09-23-20, 01:21 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Quoted: 4725 Post(s)
Liked 1,431 Times in 841 Posts
Shortcut to avoid highway congestion?

Cheating at Strava mtb segments?

I'm amazed they pushed it that far.
Old 09-23-20, 01:42 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1213 Post(s)
Liked 534 Times in 385 Posts
release the brake> collect the insurance > MAGA
Old 09-23-20, 02:49 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, 1990s MTBs

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Those look like the trails around Mount Chilead.
Old 09-23-20, 05:45 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

I went to a trailhead Sunday morning and on arriving I noted a jacked up Tacoma had driven about 40' off the parking lot into and through the brush & trees and was awkwardly straddling a large natural ditch looking likely stuck. At first I had emotions of being pissed at idiots who don't respect the land. Then I noted they were waiving at me wanting me to drive over to them. Oh crap they probably want me to help pull them out which I could not support without the right equipment.

So they come running up mask less and I initially made the impulse decision to drive away which I started to. (There was also a rav4 who was with them, but still on the lot so they would not be abandoned.) Well that felt bad so I stopped rolled down window and told them to say away from my vehicle and asked whats up - it turned out they wanted a jump for dead battery "I guess we are beginners at this". The lady driving the rav4 had cables but they were too short and could not reach (it was over 50' from where the rav4 could get to the Tacoma.)

So I got out of my 4Runner checked situation out and found a rough but passable route to get close the the Tacoma and managed to get sort of sideways to and below the Tacoma as they were straddling the ravine higher up than my shorter wheelbase did. I had popped my hood before and told the driver to do all the hook ups while I stayed in my vehicle. It started on the first try and I managed to get out of the ravine as did the Tacoma. I drove off and parked at the other end of the lot before they could say thank you.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 09-23-20, 05:48 PM
BenzFanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
I have to imagine it was stolen. Though I hope not so they can stick the owner with the helicopter recovery cost.
Old 09-23-20, 07:25 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 194 Posts
The story says its in Southern California in the low hills between the communities of Redlands/Loma Linda (north side of the hills) and Moreno Valley (south side), about 70 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. Seems about right, but I'm still not sure exactly where it is myself. If I was an MTBr I might try and locate it, then get a group together to go and push it over the edge ("put it out of its misery").
Likes For skidder:
Old 09-23-20, 07:57 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Originally Posted by StupidlyBrave View Post
Use a farm jack to send it rolling down. Then drive it home and buff out the scratches.
In Texas that farm jack is better known as THE WIDOW MAKER Very effective but very dangerous. I use it mostly with a chain to pull up posts and stuff like that. See many Jeeps with a Widow Maker attached on. Many a widow because of that jack. Had too many close calls they would be better off calling in a helicopter. Widow Maker a great tool but not under a 5,000 pound vehicle.. just NO been to a few graves ...
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 09-23-20, 08:00 PM
Seattle Forrest

Quoted: 13397 Post(s)
Liked 4,683 Times in 2,629 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
I went to a trailhead Sunday morning and on arriving I noted a jacked up Tacoma had driven about 40' off the parking lot into and through the brush & trees and was awkwardly straddling a large natural ditch looking likely stuck. At first I had emotions of being pissed at idiots who don't respect the land. Then I noted they were waiving at me wanting me to drive over to them. Oh crap they probably want me to help pull them out which I could not support without the right equipment.

So they come running up mask less and I initially made the impulse decision to drive away which I started to. (There was also a rav4 who was with them, but still on the lot so they would not be abandoned.) Well that felt bad so I stopped rolled down window and told them to say away from my vehicle and asked whats up - it turned out they wanted a jump for dead battery "I guess we are beginners at this". The lady driving the rav4 had cables but they were too short and could not reach (it was over 50' from where the rav4 could get to the Tacoma.)

So I got out of my 4Runner checked situation out and found a rough but passable route to get close the the Tacoma and managed to get sort of sideways to and below the Tacoma as they were straddling the ravine higher up than my shorter wheelbase did. I had popped my hood before and told the driver to do all the hook ups while I stayed in my vehicle. It started on the first try and I managed to get out of the ravine as did the Tacoma. I drove off and parked at the other end of the lot before they could say thank you.
​​​​​​Last December, in some combination of stupidity and excitement, I went night skiing in Mazama (one stop sign town) and left my dome light on. I'm lucky it started again after 45 minutes.

I got this guy, and you might consider one too.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T9S3Q5N..._UZ.AFb94RN0XY
Old 09-23-20, 08:01 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Here is the WIDOW MAKER. The red jack by the blue deer corn container.. spoiled deer.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 09-23-20, 08:13 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
​​​​​​Last December, in some combination of stupidity and excitement, I went night skiing in Mazama (one stop sign town) and left my dome light on. I'm lucky it started again after 45 minutes.

I got this guy, and you might consider one too.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T9S3Q5N..._UZ.AFb94RN0XY
I was gifted one and it lives in the laundry room. I never felt comfortable leaving it in car parked in direct sun when it is 115 out even if it should be OK. I've brought it to help others. In this case I didn't need it but the other guy.

I never really figured out why his battery was dead - he was in a really awkward position across the ravine with every wheel articulated in a different extreme angle. He mumbled something about working it hard doing something.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 09-23-20, 08:50 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Trek 770, Trek 760, Schwinn Paramount, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 338 Posts
Hondo,
The correct name for the jack is a Bloomfield jack as it was designed in Bloomfield, and does just as you stated, raises things but in a dangerous way. The jacks are very favorable for lifting things straight up. We use them in a junk yard around here quite favorable when needing to raise a car to remove a few parts. But they are not the best option. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 09-23-20, 08:57 PM
Shimagnolo

Originally Posted by Mad Honk View Post
Hondo,
The correct name for the jack is a Bloomfield jack as it was designed in Bloomfield, and does just as you stated, raises things but in a dangerous way. The jacks are very favorable for lifting things straight up. We use them in a junk yard around here quite favorable when needing to raise a car to remove a few parts. But they are not the best option. Smiles, MH
I've always heard them called Hi-Lift jacks, since that is the name of the company in Bloomfield that makes them:
https://hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 09-23-20, 09:05 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Originally Posted by Mad Honk View Post
Hondo,
Cool! Never bothered to look at the manufacturer or where it was made. Just went with itís nickname The Widow Maker. I had to check it out and yes itís a Bloomefield Indiana jack

Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 09-23-20, 09:10 PM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
In Texas that farm jack is better known as THE WIDOW MAKER Very effective but very dangerous. I use it mostly with a chain to pull up posts and stuff like that. See many Jeeps with a Widow Maker attached on. Many a widow because of that jack. Had too many close calls they would be better off calling in a helicopter. Widow Maker a great tool but not under a 5,000 pound vehicle.. just NO been to a few graves ...
Bah! A farm jack is quite useful for a lot of things going straight up or occasionally going parallel to the ground. More flexible than a come-a-long and arguably - just as safe. There are really two options here - one is to get four wheels touching dirt and send it. The other to toss it down the hill. Both are truly terrible options which must be captured on video so that others can learn this lesson more cheaply.
Likes For StupidlyBrave:
Old 09-23-20, 09:29 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Originally Posted by StupidlyBrave View Post
Bah! A farm jack is quite useful for a lot of things going straight up or occasionally going parallel to the ground. More flexible than a come-a-long and arguably - just as safe. There are really two options here - one is to get four wheels touching dirt and send it. The other to toss it down the hill. Both are truly terrible options which must be captured on video so that others can learn this lesson more cheaply.
Yup I hear ya. Used that Bloomfield Jack for many predicaments not going to state for legal reasons safe in most situations but when you get cocky with the Bloomfield Jack bad things can happen. For a being effective, yes it works great. Just be careful...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.