Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

7 layer burrito poisoning

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 10-21-20, 07:51 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,075 Posts

Ate a few Taco Bell 7 layer burritos and paid the price A day and a half sitting on the porcelain throne and a terrible stomach ache. It is always funnier when itís not happening to you. I did manage a 37 mile ride at first I felt horrible but at about mile 20 I think the poison got metabolized. Good thing I ride in the boondocks if I had to make an emergency adjustment. Share some of your food poisoning stories for the fun of it. Iím sure there are some interesting tales to be told.
Old 10-22-20, 02:56 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 1,718 Times in 1,105 Posts
I had Taco Bell a year or so ago, first time since high school. It was terrible. I'd rather eat those twofer a buck mystery tacos at Jack in the Box. They're greasy, probably all lard and beans with soymeat textured stuff. But so tasty, especially with cheap beer.

Absolutely pointless because there's a good homestyle traditional Mexican food cocina and store across the street from me with really tasty and reasonably priced food. My Spanish is still kindergarten level but they're very patient with me trying to order food.

And I don't eat beans anymore, even though I like the flavor. Okay, once in awhile I might have a tablespoon or two of charro beans. But I discovered a couple of years ago when I tried a vegan diet for a few months that I cannot digest legumes, not enough to make it the main source of protein. That experience was horrible. I'm back to mostly meat and doing much better.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-22-20, 06:16 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 76 Posts
I thought they discontinued the 7-layer burrito a few months ago. No wonder it gave you the runs!
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 10-22-20, 06:25 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 1,162 Times in 788 Posts
About the only thing I can eat at Taco Bell anymore are their crunchy tacos. Everything else is glop. I had a recent experience of their glop thanks to my 21 year old daughter talking me into going there and I said "I'll have what she's having".

I haven't been poisoned by Taco Bell yet. The worst case of food poisoning I had was nearly two decades ago. I used to use washable tupperware sandwich containers for taking lunch with me on the job. One day I had my usual chicken sandwiches and threw the containers into the dish washer. Several days later I used those containers again, but forgot that I never turned on the dish washer.

Geez. I was down hard for three whole days with something real bad after that. I definitely had a day of "This is it, I'm not gonna make it unless I call an ambulance.". I took my chances by not making the call and pulled through.

I went back to disposable sandwich bags after that.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 10-22-20, 07:01 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 158 Posts
I posted a thread about my most recent terrible poisoning incident. Ate at a place called Jollibee and was seriously ill for three weeks, nearly a month. Lost 30#, of which I have only recovered 10 since late August. My guts actually haven't been the same since. My saving grace for the whole incident was that I never was throwing up and able to keep eating and drinking lots of water. My doc didn't want to do anything so long as that was the case and just let it run it's course. I have not been that (stomach) sick in my whole life and hope to never have it again. There was a two week period that I am fairly sure I was on the curtains edge of death, and felt it. If I had started talking to dead relatives it would not have been surprising at that point....
Old 10-22-20, 07:39 AM
ahsposo 
Pounding Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 5092 Post(s)
Liked 2,158 Times in 1,304 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
I thought they discontinued the 7-layer burrito a few months ago. No wonder it gave you the runs!
He's cheap, prolly bought 'em on close-out.
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 10-22-20, 09:00 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1348 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 283 Posts
I drank a quart of keifer once, and the healing crisis kept me on the throne for a day until my gut biome got stabilised again.
Old 10-22-20, 09:52 AM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

7 layer burrito discontinued so I guess it was the other burrito. After hearing of all these other cases mine was very mild.. I remember Juan Foote’s food poisoning thread. I’m avoiding The Bell from now on.
Old 10-22-20, 01:43 PM
ahsposo 
Pounding Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

No sense of adventure, So disappointing.

Here's my latest foray into food fueled jet propulsion: Made chili last night with lots of pepper flakes and cayenne, a nice deep heat that passed the mouth leaving no pain just great flavor. I served it with red beans and brown rice. Lift off occurred about an hour ago. WOW! About an 18 hour travel time to the launchpad and Mars bound.
Likes For ahsposo:
Old 10-22-20, 01:48 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 1,162 Times in 788 Posts
^^^^
Sounds like a real Asstro Blaster.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 10-22-20, 11:47 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
About the only thing I can eat at Taco Bell anymore are their crunchy tacos. Everything else is glop. I had a recent experience of their glop thanks to my 21 year old daughter talking me into going there and I said "I'll have what she's having".

I haven't been poisoned by Taco Bell yet. The worst case of food poisoning I had was nearly two decades ago. I used to use washable tupperware sandwich containers for taking lunch with me on the job. One day I had my usual chicken sandwiches and threw the containers into the dish washer. Several days later I used those containers again, but forgot that I nevfer turned on the dish washer.

Geez. I was down hard for three whole days with something real bad after that. I definitely had a day of "This is it, I'm not gonna make it unless I call an ambulance.". I took my chances by not making the call and pulled through.

I went back to disposable sandwich bags after that.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 10-23-20, 12:22 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Liked 902 Times in 594 Posts
About fifteen years ago at lunch on New Yearís Eve, I ate a Daveís insanity sauce habanero burger at a pretty fancy restaurant in Scottsdale. This was before all the spicy fast food burgers got popular and it was really off the chart. They served it with a pint of milk, which I should have had before, not after. I could feel every inch that it traveled until it came back out again. Had to grin through the party and was up until three or four.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 10-23-20, 04:02 AM
ooga-booga
lead on, macduff!

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 582 Posts
is it bad to actually count on indigestible fast foods as a weight maintenance course of action/dietary norm? asking for a friend...
Likes For ooga-booga:
Old 10-31-20, 11:04 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Fast Food is Slow Death. But after a full day of fishing the surf and facing the 3 hour drive back home and being broke and hungry. I will take a few minutes away from my life to get that cheap greasy bag of death. Eat it on my tailgate so my fishing equipment won’t get stolen then back on the road after downing a jumbo Monster energy drink.
Old 11-01-20, 07:45 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1348 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
No sense of adventure, So disappointing.

Here's my latest foray into food fueled jet propulsion: Made chili last night with lots of pepper flakes and cayenne, a nice deep heat that passed the mouth leaving no pain just great flavor. I served it with red beans and brown rice. Lift off occurred about an hour ago. WOW! About an 18 hour travel time to the launchpad and Mars bound.
I bet that made you glad you don't wear pants anymore.
Old 11-01-20, 07:47 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 271 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Ate a few Taco Bell 7 layer burritos and paid the price A day and a half sitting on the porcelain throne and a terrible stomach ache. It is always funnier when it’s not happening to you. I did manage a 37 mile ride at first I felt horrible but at about mile 20 I think the poison got metabolized. Good thing I ride in the boondocks if I had to make an emergency adjustment. Share some of your food poisoning stories for the fun of it. I’m sure there are some interesting tales to be told.
You live in Texas and you go to TB for your burrito fix? Estas loco?
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 11-01-20, 09:51 AM
ahsposo 
Pounding Member

Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
I bet that made you glad you don't wear pants anymore.
Well, yes, now that you mention it; but the folks behind me in the checkout line at the grocery store, not so much.
Old 11-01-20, 12:43 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
You live in Texas and you go to TB for your burrito fix? Estas loco?
In graduate school I had a friend from Mexico City who was incredulous that they opened up a Taco Bell in Mexico City.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 11-01-20, 01:11 PM
ahsposo 
Pounding Member

Likes For ahsposo:
Old 11-01-20, 02:12 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
In graduate school I had a friend from Mexico City who was incredulous that they opened up a Taco Bell in Mexico City.
That's okay... they finally opened them in Thailand... without beans. (I think they have since corrected same, but this was all well after I had to move back to the U.S. so I didn't follow it that closely.)

I'm sad they discontinued the 7-layer, though. That was one of my vegetarian go-to staples. I've not been to Taco Bell in a while, though. I like it, but I'm flabbergasted at how restaurant food prices have skyrocketed in the U.S., and I finally realized I'm not going to pay the same amount to get fast food that I could spend at an actual sit-down restaurant (then again, the sit-down restaurants have gone way up too, so I spend a lot of time going "you want me to pay HOW MUCH for lunch or a sandwich?? A couple years ago I could've gotten a whole dinner meal for that!"). Same goes for Subway... I was done after the last time when I noticed that a piece of bread with some vegetables on it now cost $7 or $8.

(I'll skip my worst food-poisoning story, from when I was a kid, because it goes way too TMI although it's a "I can laugh about it now" brand of funny. But a former coworker had told me about when she got bad water in a smoothie in Cambodia... apparently she was in the hospital for at least a few days if not longer, and didn't feel "right" for a few more months. It wouldn't surprise you that she was always on me to be careful eating street food... probably would've gone ballistic with the warnings had I ever made it to Cambodia.)

Last edited by Kat12; 11-01-20 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-01-20, 06:26 PM
vespasianus

Originally Posted by Kat12 View Post
That's okay... they finally opened them in Thailand... without beans. (I think they have since corrected same, but this was all well after I had to move back to the U.S. so I didn't follow it that closely.)

I'm sad they discontinued the 7-layer, though. That was one of my vegetarian go-to staples.
I agree 100%. It was the only thing I ever got at Taco Bell. Actually, when I did, it was one 7 layer and one bean burrito.
Old 11-01-20, 06:36 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts
Gas stove, cast iron pan, and a Kroger beats TB every time. Leaves more money for bike parts, keeps me off the throne and out of sick bay.
Old 11-01-20, 06:42 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 384 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12 View Post
I'm sad they discontinued the 7-layer, though. That was one of my vegetarian go-to staples.
Yeah, me too... that and the spicy tostada.

Thing is though, if there ever is a case of food positioning from Taco Bell, it'd likely be from the lettuce and then it would affect lots of other places too. Listeriosis and e Coli don't happen in a single serving size.
Old 11-01-20, 07:11 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 986 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
That film was great! Best film Stallone ever made!
Old 11-01-20, 07:15 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 986 Posts
Wynona's got herself a big brown beaver and she shows it off to all her friends.
One day, you know, that beaver tried to leave her, so she caged him up with cyclone fence.
Along came Lou with the old baboon and said "I recognize that smell, Smells like seven layers, That beaver eatin' Taco Bell!".

Likes For Shimagnolo:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.