Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Specialized Sequoia, Sirrus, or Lemond Poprad???

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 07-22-04, 01:47 PM
bakhurts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guys, I am just getting back into cycling. I want to ride about 1-1.5 k per year, not race. I'll do a couple of charity rides. I tried both bikes in a parking lot, and can't decide. i will get around to trying to borrow or rent these bikes for a longer ride, but so far it is a wash. i would appreciate any information or opinions, realizing these are subjective.

i'm not young, and my bak hurts, specially when i try and go too aero. any other ideas or bikes??

thanks
bh
Old 07-22-04, 05:19 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lean toward the Sequoia, for reasons that may not be the same as yours. I have a friend who's ridden one for a couple of years, and she loves it. If I have the models straight, it gives you a little more "roadability" than the Sirrus, which is more of a hybrid. Of course if you WANT more capability on dirt or whatever, then the Sirrus would work for you, but most people who get into cycling seem to want to go farther and faster, and I think the Sequoia will do that more easily. My Rivendell Atlantis is similar in concept to the Sequoia, and it works well (with no more than a tire change) for everything from centuries to touring and fire-roading.
Regarding your back: RAISE THEM BARS! Whatever you have to do (new stem, larger frame etc) to get the handlebars about level with the seat (certainly not several inches lower) will probably help.
Old 07-22-04, 06:56 PM
Stor Mand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an 01 Sirrus Pro which is bacisally a road bike (120# tires, road gears, relatively light) with straight bars (pic attached .. I hope). The base Sirrus leans more toward hybrid. If the Sequoia was out at that time, I may have bought that instead. Either way, you will get a good bike.
Old 07-22-04, 09:26 PM
ChiliDog

Bikes: Electra Townie crank forward, Specialized flat bar road bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 49...people on this forum have heard me talk about loving my Trek hybrid and riding it "like a road bike". Well, I just sold it on Ebay and am picking up my Sequoia in the next few weeks. I want a "road bike ride" but need a more upright position. Drop bars give you much more comfort in that you have options with hand placement. I rode my Small Sequoia with the adjustable stem all the way up and it felt great!!!

I, too, looked at a Sirrus, but it was so similar to the Trek 7500fx...just was not a road bike and I want a road bike! I say "go for it"...not because I did, but because if you get it now, you won't be saying things like..."but I want a REAL road bike"!
Old 07-23-04, 05:03 AM
bnet1
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well bakhurts, I blew a disc in my back a number of years ago, and that was one of my many issues of continuing on my road bike. A good road bike can be relatively comfortable for a lot of people, however, if you want the most in comfort try a recumbent. This spring I switched to a recumbent, and it made cycling new and pain free again. Chillidog also rides a 'bent (actually two) and is a well rounded cyclist. Be prepared for some sticker shock though. Recumbents are somewhat expensive, but in my estimation, worth every penny.

'bent Brian

'bent Brian
Old 07-24-04, 04:45 PM
ChiliDog

Bikes: Electra Townie crank forward, Specialized flat bar road bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I would second that recommendation...it depends on how severe your physical health problems are...For me, the Sequoia style road bike feeds my craving for an upright fitness bike with a road bike ride. For longer distances, and just for fun, I love my recumbents. Ride a little tiny bit on a MTB too...more for winter, short trail rides.
Old 05-08-20, 04:53 PM
brewman1947

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought a Sirrus expert carbon and love it. Those that say not a road bike dont know what they are saying. I ride road, mountain, gravel, bike parks and lifts. The Sirrus carbon is the bomb. Tires pressure up to 90 for road, down to 45 for dirt, has the headshock to take up the bumps, the gearing to climb, hydraulic disc brakes, thru axles, compliant carbon frame. Whats not to like, the 21 pounds too heavy for you? Eat less!
Only con I can offer is the shifters are stiff and could be improved upon. Dropbars are over-rated. Unless you are a serious racer I would bet you spend less than 30% of the ride in the drops.
Just my opinion.
Old 05-25-20, 09:39 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by brewman1947
Bought a Sirrus expert carbon and love it. Those that say not a road bike dont know what they are saying. I ride road, mountain, gravel, bike parks and lifts. The Sirrus carbon is the bomb. Tires pressure up to 90 for road, down to 45 for dirt, has the headshock to take up the bumps, the gearing to climb, hydraulic disc brakes, thru axles, compliant carbon frame. Whats not to like, the 21 pounds too heavy for you? Eat less!
Only con I can offer is the shifters are stiff and could be improved upon. Dropbars are over-rated. Unless you are a serious racer I would bet you spend less than 30% of the ride in the drops.
Just my opinion.
It has been 16 years since the original poster asked his question. I think that he has probably figured it out by now.
Old 05-25-20, 10:21 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
^probably. if they had posted in classic & vintage however...that’s another matter entirely.
Old 02-23-21, 07:37 AM
brewman1947

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question

I want to list a bike for sale in vintage. How do i do this? Thanks