Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Favorite bystander comments

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Favorite bystander comments

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-19, 06:30 PM
Mr Carl

Bikes: Too many personal bikes to mention on here

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Originally from Philadelphia, MS, I can relate to that man. Friendly with a sense of humor.
Old 11-04-19, 07:07 PM
MrK.

Bikes: 2011 Handsome/ Twin Six Speedy Devil, 2006 Soma Groove, 1991 Haro Impulse Comp, 1987 KHS Montana Pro, 1986 Ross Mount Hood, 1986 Mongoose ATB, 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker I, 1973 World Voyageur, 1941 Schwinn DX "Klunker"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 45 Posts
I occasionally ride the 5 miles into town to hit the local pub for lunch and a beer. My route takes me past an elementary school on a corner. On one ride as I approached the school I could hear the children out playing at recess. As I came into view on my World Voyageur the children stopped playing and watched me ride by. Suddenly one kid yelled out "IT'S AN OLD MAN!!". As I rounded the corner they ran to the other fence and cheered me as I rode the rest of the way past the playground. Understand that this is a small East Texas town and an adult riding a bike is a rarity.
Likes For MrK.:
Old 11-05-19, 06:27 AM
NeilBurt

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Tandems rule

My then wife and I were touring the state parks In Indiana on a tandem Trek, as we were leaving a restaurant one morning a small group was checking out the tandem. Heard one say, "Wonder if they're serious bikers?" As we mounted they said, "They're serious!"
Old 11-05-19, 07:21 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
About 45 years ago, I got hit in the hip by a automobile on a deserted section of four lane roadway and was taken by ambulance to hospital. Laying on the gurney, in a groggy state, I heard the following conversation between the two attending emergency room nurses.

Junior Nurse (in a hushed tone): "His legs are shaved! Is he..."

Senior Nurse: "No, he's just a really serious cyclist and a very good one based on the size and definition of his leg muscles. Now cut off his shorts, so we can clean his hip abrasions. "

Junior Nurse (peeling back the remnants of my cycling shorts): "Oh my God! He's not wearing anything underneath!"

At which point I passed back into unconsciousness.
Old 11-05-19, 07:44 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
I always chuckle when I get to a group ride and my cycling friends whose weight is on the way down show up. Their legs are big and powerful from being 100 lbs heavier, etc, but that goes unnoticed by the omnipresent group of thin folks who say things like "we'll get out ahead of them so we don't have to pass, and then we'll roll."

As we pass the thin folks, I always ask "want to get behind the big train?"

There is often no one as underestimated, devoted, and fast, as a person who lost a ton of weight cycling.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 11-05-19, 12:39 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,545 Posts
Last night on the after daylight saving fall back dark commute: "Nice lights" from a runner on los gatos creek trail. and it was not sarcastic.

amazing what 2 1100 lumen lights will do for being able to see the trail and the ninjas on the trail (walking, running, riding)

Old 11-05-19, 09:08 PM
NeilBurt

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Mistaken for a pro

Middle of July, the Tour is wrapping up in France, I have my favorite team's kit on riding home from work I stop at a big box store for some groceries, reading the label on an item, I see a gentleman with his 3 young boys coming at me, one maybe 10yrs old starts running towards me all wide eyed saying, "Mister, mister, are you a professional cyclist?" Smiling I say, "No, just supporting my favorite team." The boy slumped over and dragged his feet walking back to his dad, I felt so bad. Here's the question, should I have lied and said I was, possibly made that little boys dream come true, or do what I did?
Old 11-05-19, 09:34 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by NeilBurt
Here's the question, should I have lied and said I was, possibly made that little boys dream come true, or do what I did?
Tell the truth. They'll learn about politics soon enough.
Old 11-06-19, 11:03 PM
TomEagles

Bikes: 1984 Alan Record (Campy), 1990 Klein Quantum (Shimano 600)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I was carrying a freshly painted '85 chrome lugged Cinelli, done with Enzo paint, hand-polished Super Record, new decals, cleared, the whole shebang.

It was almost 7 o'clock on a Friday evening, at a bike shop across the street from the restaurants and nightclubs of downtown Greenville NC.

It was not a bystander comment. A nicely dressed couple came the other way, the guy saw the bike, turned to his lady, and said "you go on, and if I'm not there in 20 minutes, order and eat. I gotta look at this bike."

It took 40 minutes to talk about it, easy.

The comment to his lady was classic. Took courage. But seeing an 85 Cinelli with Super Record components would draw any bike lover away from their (temporarily less) significant other. /Tom
Old 11-08-19, 10:33 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
My ex Lotto GT team bike gets comments. The best was a guy, "How the hell did you get ahold of that?" The ladies just think it's pretty.
Old 11-08-19, 10:35 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWonder
On my Calgary-Vancouver trip over the Rockies, I remember one comment made by a biwildered man from Australia while I stopped at an old Western Saloon type of museum at the top of a summit to fill my canteens with water.
As I finished topping them, the man came out from the museum and looked at me funny.

He asked me why I was carrying so much on my bike and I told him I was touring from Calgary. He looked shocked, shook his head and said, "You're, nuts mate. You Canadians keep weirding me out. Best of luck to ya."

I took it as a compliment and thanked him,laughed, and just went my away.
It is the duty of the English-speaking peoples to amuse and amaze one another with our accents and customs.

"Howdy Ma'am."
Old 11-09-19, 12:40 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 387 Posts
After chastising a driver for cutting a turn in front of me without using his directional, he stopped, rolled down his window and said: "You're right. I'm sorry."
A first for me.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 11-09-19, 06:04 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
After chastising a driver for cutting a turn in front of me without using his directional, he stopped, rolled down his window and said: "You're right. I'm sorry."
A first for me.
That's rare, for sure! Did you play the lottery that day?
Old 11-09-19, 07:03 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,608 Times in 3,787 Posts
I was climbing a short but steep hill, and while riding passed a house where a woman unloading her car, she yelled, "You can do it!".

Last edited by cb400bill; 11-09-19 at 07:52 AM.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 11-09-19, 09:58 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by gearbasher
A first for me.
I used to get mad when a vehicle passed me and then turned R, which cut me off. Then I realized, in a traffic situation, I was in the wrong, as much if not more, than the turning vehicle. As a vehicle, I have an obligation to follow at a safe distance.

On that point, when I was in college, I ran instead of cycling, but once in a while, I was talked into getting out my Trek 510 and putting on silly clothes to go ride.

It being the 80's and NC, it was hot, and most of us just wore tank tops instead of jerseys, out for a 25-30 mile hard ride.

In a residential area pace line, we were passed by three cars, which, of course, turned R just past us into a sorority house driveway. As we panic stopped and piled up, some initial words were spouted. Then, as 18-22 year old females eyed fit, sweaty 18-22 year old males, and vice versa, early on a Saturday morning, it got quiet. Then, Barry said "Let's start over. Well, well, ladies... Hi there!"
Old 11-09-19, 10:07 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Anyone with a Miami Vice Ironman has probably heard a few comments. Once built one "all the way," with yellow wrap, housing, and saddle to match the bike, full Campy 8sp Chorus, with Vento HP wheels that had the fuscia decals that matched the bike. A fairly resplendent machine of color and polish. Rode it on the Cup 'n' Cone ride in Cary, NC.

At rest stops, I'd simply put it up and go get some rest. I put it against a picnic table with a friend's Ironman, and came back to observe a group of folks circling and ogling the bike.

The female riders were oohing and aahing. "It's so pretty."
The males were "it's old, it's steel, it's heavy."
"But it's so pretty."
"Pretty isn't fast."

Then @drrobwave and I walk over, we get the bikes. One says "nice bike" and they walk away.
Then I overheard one of the women.... "old, huh? They passed us."
Old 11-09-19, 01:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
A trademark of mine, when I build a wheel, is to put a rubber band around the hub before lacing it up. Waiting at a red light, a young cyclist caught up to me and asked me how I got the rubber band in there.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-09-19, 04:39 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Anyone with a Miami Vice Ironman has probably heard a few comments"
In Los Angeles.. "Hey look its a Lakers bike!"