Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is there a market for more creative back bike racks?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-18, 10:32 AM
elanaa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am designing a bike rack for myself as a project and I was wondering if there are other people out there who want more creativity and personality in their bike racks?
Old 04-16-18, 10:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
It's a risk you take, in a crowded accessory marketplace.. You planning on making custom racks for each person?

I'd go for the niche of making bike racks put on the street , you lock your bike up to..
Old 04-16-18, 10:45 AM
northtexasbiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not from me, but I am interested to read what you have in mind.
Old 04-16-18, 10:56 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4360 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
I mean Tubus makes all the racks I could really want. Cool designs are fun but I value a lightweight, strong and extremely durable rack which Tubus checks. They even make a titanium rack that is stupid light and can hold a significant amount of weight considering.
Old 04-16-18, 11:39 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
With enough creative writing, I'm sure you could sell some. To sell me one, you'd have to persuade me it was well-engineered to carry the maximum load at the lightest weight while maintaining maximum reliability and safety; I think that's a common desire of people who buy bike racks, though probably not universal.

Wrought iron prettiness with a huge weight penalty? flimsy curlicues? not so much.
Old 04-16-18, 11:55 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
What's your market?

Fancy? one off, personalized, decorative, style over function? Probably a market, but likely not enough to be a full time endeavor.

Functional? Yes there's a market. It's full of manufacturers covering all segments and price points.
Old 04-16-18, 12:02 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Well I spent $50 for a Spurcycle bell so any things possible. Always on the look out for great products for my bike. Add a banana carrier on that rack and you may have something.
Old 04-16-18, 12:03 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Well it would have to be a humdinger and have a catchy name.
Why not at least make that one for yourself and see what people say.
I would concern myself with a patent as well though you may not
need one right away.
Old 04-16-18, 12:27 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18380 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
It depends on your marketing and how many you wish to sell.

One of the things about the internet marketplace is that selling say 10 items a day to a market of 300 million US citizens, or a global market of 7 billion people really is a drop in the bucket.

There are quite a few innovative styles of bike racks. Some with some sweet looking curved stays. Or various front cargo racks.

I've seen photos of some racks with a floating look deriving the longitudinal support through the fenders.

Make sure you consider adjustability for multiple applications.

I think this one is designed to ward off evil spirits that may enter one's bicycle tires.

Old 04-16-18, 12:52 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
would be nice if a rear rack had a built it sliding extension making it longer when required. I suppose some ppl might also like fold out wings for when carrying a slightly wider load
Old 04-16-18, 01:06 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by elanaa
I am designing a bike rack for myself as a project and I was wondering if there are other people out there who want more creativity and personality in their bike racks?
That ship sailed >40 years ago with the elegantly simple and effective designs by Jim Blackburn, everything since is minor fiddling-about with details and me-to-ism.

-Bandera
Old 04-16-18, 01:13 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
would be nice if a rear rack had a built it sliding extension making it longer when required. I suppose some ppl might also like fold out wings for when carrying a slightly wider load
Racks with sliding extensions exist; my daughter-in-law's cheap cruiser has one.
I thought it was a good idea, if poorly executed.
Old 04-16-18, 01:20 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18380 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
One could easily add rails that would slide out, but they would have to be generally self-supporting.

I guess I have never thought much about extra long loads. Most of what I carry on a rack is rigid enough that it could overhang the back if necessary.

Extra width might be nice at times, although one runs into issues with overhanging panniers depending on the pannier mount. Wide front racks seem to be popular with some people.
Old 04-16-18, 01:20 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I think this one is designed to ward off evil spirits that may enter one's bicycle tires.

I like the "rock & roll" "devil horn" hand symbol above the pentagram. \m/
Old 04-16-18, 07:37 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

Handlebars not allowed to be wider than the pentagram.......
Old 04-16-18, 10:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4360 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
Well I spent $50 for a Spurcycle bell so any things possible. Always on the look out for great products for my bike. Add a banana carrier on that rack and you may have something.
But Spurcycle makes one of the loudest and best sounding bells right here in 'merica. It is a very functional tool that also happens to look nice. I think it is different from an artsy rack.

Now I will say a well made Ti randonneuring front rack like the Nitto M12 would be cool or just a lighter weight but still decently strong steel version. But it just needs to look clean and be functional not really creative or artsy.
Old 04-16-18, 11:41 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
there is always a market for improved and better products than what is on the market.

at the same time walmart seems to get by selling cheap Chinese manufactured crap as does Amazon.

so there is your market, cheaper than the other guys cheap. or better than the other guys good stuff.
Old 04-16-18, 11:56 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Affordable decent rack would be nice. I will admit I placed a wally world rack on our tandem. $15 and a $7 net from REI.

Works great and though I do not like cheap products on our bikes, I will not pay $100 for a basic rack from a bike shop.
Old 04-17-18, 12:43 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
This is just a wacky trend on BF. Next will be I'm designing a bicycle that doesn't look like any bicycle you've seen before. I haven't built one yet or even drawn a picture of it. But I wonder if you might be interested in buying one if I did?
Old 04-17-18, 04:20 AM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My main thing is functionality. Want to put a blinker on it easily, keep panniers out of the tires. Hook a bike trunk up to securely and if your real good Make it easily removable so I can take my bike out to play.
Old 04-17-18, 07:04 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,700 Times in 2,520 Posts
plenty of people make custom racks. You can search for them on flickr. I think what you'll find is that it isn't easy to make a good rack and that is why the custom ones are expensive. If you make a lot of tooling, it would be faster and easier, but you lose some of the ability to customize.
Old 04-17-18, 04:51 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by elanaa
You have my attention....
Old 04-18-18, 06:29 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Careful, and do your testing before subjecting it to extended use. When touring in '74 I met up with a guy in Sweden who'd designed and made a nice alloy rack for his bike. Looked good and complemented the bike well and it made me and my ratty Pletscher envious until it snapped one afternoon miles from nowhere. I still have the Pletscher.
Old 04-18-18, 08:04 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
If there was, I'm sure PDW would already have been all over it. After all, they do mane dang pretty fenders and bird shaped bottle holders.

And racks with adjustable stays already exist.
Old 04-18-18, 11:46 AM
SEAJAYBIKE

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are always struggling to find a rack short enough to work on a 24" wheel kids bike. Also...many racks don't fit well on small frames. Would love to see a basic rack available that sits down closer to the wheels on small bikes. My 2c

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.