Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Import duties for bike purchase

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-18, 09:46 PM
pwhallon

Bikes: 2009 Novara Safari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I was looking at the KOGA Signature page and "built" a bike. It's a pretty easy process.

They mentioned the possibility of import duties and local taxes.

Do any of you know if import duties will apply to a bicycle purchase?

And, about local taxes, I can't get a KOGA here, so would there be local taxes charged? I don't pay local taxes on some internet purchases.

I'll try to contact KOGA as well, but hoped someone here would know.

Thanks, Paul
Old 02-27-18, 10:44 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Where are you, where is the bike being shipped from? Thats all that matters

EDIT: Ah yeah, missed the location as it isn't displayed on a phone. I doubt you'd be hit for any local taxes, I have never been for my few overseas bike parts orders, although if GA is anything like MI, you are technically supposed to be remitting sales tax to the state for any internet sale

Last edited by jefnvk; 02-28-18 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-28-18, 08:57 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I assume this is being shipped to USA.

From Europe a complete expensive bike might run about 11 percent for customs duty.

Bike parts and frames are less than a complete bike. I paid about 6 percent for a frame from the UK. The package exceeded a thousand in value. That is the only time I had to pay customs duty from Europe.

My Rohloff had no duty on it which surprised me, I assumed that would require another payment. I built the bike from the parts, the hub was in a box, not part of a wheel, etc.

Smaller orders from Europe do not have any duty, I am not sure what the cut off is. I have frequently placed orders of a few hundred dollars in value and have not paid any duty.

In my case, the mail carrier carried the box with the frame and a bunch of other parts (rims, tires, seatpost, headset, some misc items) to my door and asked for the money. I do not recall if he needed a check or could accept plastic, but I paid with a check.

Local taxes, I paid none.

Many credit cards have a currency transaction fee of up to 3 percent. Check what that the fee is on your card before you order. If you order a Rohloff bike that will be an expensive bike.
Old 02-28-18, 06:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Given you , in State of Georgia , will have to cross the Atlantic to pick it up, being zero Koga dealers in north america, & they ship to dealers,
maybe as a fly and ride, going somewhere in Europe or UK where you pick it up , riding it a while getting it dirty, filling out your VAT forms picked up from the dealer with the bike, [UK, 20%] you may choose to not declare it , much as you would taking your bike over and bringing it back..

Maybe take a bike with you have that in your papers then bringing a different bike is still a single bike out then 1 in..

I'm not working for customs, you asked a bike forum not the agency, so We guess.

one guy I med on a Ferry from UK to Norway , got his VAT papers Stamped at the Ferry Slip. as Norway is Not part of the EU,

technically he was exporting it... did he declare it when he came back? your guess is as good as mine..

I encourage going over and bringing your stuff with you, maybe even buy the panniers there.. get out of the states for a while..

Old 02-28-18, 11:56 PM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Better to call Customs to find out. I'd say most likely you'll be paying customs to import that bike. There may also be brokerage fees attached. I call it a load of crap, but that's the reality I live with here in Canada. As an American, we are so use to buying whatever we want, and never give a second thought to import fees, customs, taxes, duties, and now brokerage fees! There's that customs guy lurking around the corner, on most every purchase made on the internet that comes up from the States. We get a note that you have a package at customs waiting for clearing. Which means based on the value of what is in the package, you pay, to get your package released. In fact, I recently had a package come up from California with a book, and 2 rubber dental moulds in it. $200 value put on the shipping documents. $76 to get the package. I refused it. The moulds were to be returned to the company, and the book was free to me as I got it as part of a scholarship. Anyhow, sorry for the long story. Maybe Koga has better info for you. It's not like no one owns their bikes in the US. Good luck!
Old 03-01-18, 11:46 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
LuckySailor made a good point. My bike frame that I bought from the UK, it was shipped by whatever carrier that the bike shop uses, and they did not involve a broker or anything like that. But I have heard of companies that will hire out shipping in such a way that a bunch of other fees get tacked on by a few additional hands.

I suspect Koga ships enough bikes that they would use a good shipper, but it would not hurt to find out how they will ship it first.

Mine came from the UK (it is a Thorn, not Koga), so shipper is likely different than Koga uses.
Old 03-01-18, 12:27 PM
CreakingCrank

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There is a website that explains the import charges. I'd find it for you but I'm lazy. From an EU country, I believe it was 11% for complete bikes and 5% for bike parts. The price on most items listed on EU websites include a 19% VAT tax that US buyers don't pay. Its like you get a 19% discount right off the bat.

I've had at least five orders from Germany or the UK and never got a bill for local tax.
Old 03-01-18, 03:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

You would be conversing with one of their overseas dealers, who get the assembled bike from the company,

then shipping is a thing you sort out with that dealer.. https://www.koga.com/en/koga-signature

https://www.koga.com/en/find-dealer... there are other lists of dealers in other language links ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-01-18 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-01-18, 03:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

my O4 WTR was in the US 4 years, 2nd owner said it sold on consignment, where they got it..

Original owner did bring it back after touring around Europe, on it a while...

I got it shipped across the US, from someone in NC. 10 years ago..
Old 03-02-18, 08:12 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
No isues, yet.

I have bought one used bike and lots of new parts (Rohloffs, rims, lights, etc.) from Europe to USA. I did do extensive search about 4-5 years ago on all the import duties and it was mind-boggling.

Anyway, you are "supposed" to be charged an import duty on all new parts and/or whole bikes. In reality, I have yet to get charged. I have ordered from SJS in England and Bike24 & another (can't remember name) store in Germany. I bought the bike from an individual in Germany. Never charged a duty but I obviously can't guarantee it won't happen in the future.

Hope this helps, John

Last edited by John N; 03-02-18 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-07-18, 09:47 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by LuckySailor
Better to call Customs to find out. I'd say most likely you'll be paying customs to import that bike. There may also be brokerage fees attached. I call it a load of crap, but that's the reality I live with here in Canada. As an American, we are so use to buying whatever we want, and never give a second thought to import fees, customs, taxes, duties, and now brokerage fees! There's that customs guy lurking around the corner, on most every purchase made on the internet that comes up from the States. We get a note that you have a package at customs waiting for clearing....
When I lived in Winnipeg, Canada, and ordered items, I had them sent to "me" c/o The Post Office, Hallock, Mn. Then I declared them at Canada Customs on the way home. Often the CC folks did not charge me. If I sent the items by mail to Winnipeg, the extra POSTAGE cost was up to $10 extra. Then Canada Post charged $5 as a brokerage fee for the taxes - sometimes only a couple of $ of tax, BUT the $5 brokerage fee was irksome .... By having up to 10 or 15 purchases at the same time, the savings in postage alone was worth it. Now that I live overseas, I have my airplane ticket with me when I declare at CC, and state I will take these items out of Canada with me. I did this at Christmas when visiting Manitoba and North Dakota. I am using the items in the GCC region now .... CC just waves me through - after making sure I have no drugs, firearms or alcohol with me...

Last edited by tmac100; 03-07-18 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-07-18, 10:37 AM
GeorgeBaby

Bikes: 2005 Bike Friday NWT, Bacchetta Giro 26, 2019 Titanium Bilenky Midlands

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I purchased a bike from SJS, and had to pay 11% duty. The duty is only 5.5% if "weighing less than 16.3 kg complete without accessories and not designed for use with tires having a cross-sectional diameter exceeding 4.13 cm".

They won't care about duties on a $200 purchase, but will care about duties on a $5000 purchase.

Last edited by GeorgeBaby; 03-11-18 at 05:44 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 03-08-18, 07:37 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Customs - an informal entry less than $2000 no duty.
- a formal entry anything over $2000 you may pay duty depending on the import.

The Harmonized Tariff is a large book that lists dutiable and non dutiable tax on all imports and is located at any US Customs Cargo office. This information would determine if you owe duty on a one time import of a bicycle. FWIW...