Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

I love ice cold beer

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

I love ice cold beer

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-18, 04:36 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4417 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 3,028 Posts
After a week of building a gravel road and riding 122 gravel miles it is time for a cold beer and some fried fish. Keystone Light yes cheap and easy on the head in the morning. No regrets.
Old 04-30-18, 04:07 PM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
craving beer

When I was 18-19 years old, all I drank was beer. Hard stuff very rarely. When I was 24, I changed from beer always, to beer just about never, rum being my choice of poison. In 2015, to celebrate my 50th birthday, I rode with a group across Canada. When we stopped to make camp the first evening, all I craved was an ice cold beer. I had brought a full 40 oz bottle of Spiced Rum, and a full box of Cab/Sauv, but all I wanted was beer. This beer craving went on for the entire 72 day trek. I did drain the rum and a couple boxes of red wine, but beer was my fave when we rolled into camp. I wonder if it'll be the same this year riding up to the Arctic Circle........
Old 05-01-18, 06:04 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Originally Posted by LuckySailor
When I was 18-19 years old, all I drank was beer. Hard stuff very rarely. When I was 24, I changed from beer always, to beer just about never, rum being my choice of poison. In 2015, to celebrate my 50th birthday, I rode with a group across Canada. When we stopped to make camp the first evening, all I craved was an ice cold beer. I had brought a full 40 oz bottle of Spiced Rum, and a full box of Cab/Sauv, but all I wanted was beer. This beer craving went on for the entire 72 day trek. I did drain the rum and a couple boxes of red wine, but beer was my fave when we rolled into camp. I wonder if it'll be the same this year riding up to the Arctic Circle........

Burning massive calories for 72 days a few post ride beers should be therapeutic I’m sure the few extra calories will burn off the next day
Old 05-02-18, 08:00 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
You like what you like, but please buy cheapo beer if you're drinking it ice cold. That ruins beer. Don't ruin good beer, let us drink it for you instead.
Old 05-02-18, 05:38 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by LuckySailor
Fascinating. I remember growing up and watching commercials where kids/families would be shown enjoying certain foods that to me were simply awful. I was so confused. Did any of you not experience a similar phase? Tell me more about what drove you to this initial beer craving. It had to have been more than the taste.
Old 05-02-18, 07:18 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Fascinating. I remember growing up and watching commercials where kids/families would be shown enjoying certain foods that to me were simply awful. I was so confused. Did any of you not experience a similar phase? Tell me more about what drove you to this initial beer craving. It had to have been more than the taste.

The therapeutical buzz and making boring activities fun. I like a cold beer after a hard riding day watching the deer and cows and the sunset and all those corny things. Beer is an icebreaker when people gather that don’t really know each other I guess you can say it is a social lubricant. Just keep it in bounds we all know someone that’s turns nasty only after a few. I hated peas and tomatoes now I love them and I have no explanation why. Beer is a cultural thing here so we were allowed to have a few beers at a young age but that was the 1970s today you would get arrested . Beer cravings get greater the more physically spent I am and in this hot climate the colder the better.
Old 05-03-18, 03:14 AM
KraneXL

No wonder I never got it. Apparently I've been proceeding from an incorrect premise: it isn't just about the taste.
Old 05-04-18, 01:14 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Family and social group culture, genetic and acquired taste.

I don't like most sweet drinks and rarely drink sodas or pops unless I'm seriously thirsty and there's nothing else available. I'd rather drink tepid tap water than a Coke. I drink coffee with a little sugar and cream, but that's about all. I find most electrolyte sports drinks too sweet, but supposedly a little sugar helps with fluid absorption. I usually dilute the powdered electrolyte mixes with twice as much water as recommended.

In soft drinks I prefer unsweetened iced tea and club soda. I like tonic water but would prefer it unsweetened, or less sweet. Ice cold American lagers and pilsners are inoffensive thirst quenchers. Not sweet (other than Miller), very little bitterness or even flavor, pretty much like club soda with a very small amount of alcohol. Good with heavily flavored foods -- Mexican, pizza, grilled burgers, bbq, Thai, Szechuan. I enjoy an occasional pint of strongly flavored local craft beer for the potent flavors, citrus hops or heavily malted -- a couple of friends run a brewery that offers both and they're incredibly good. But it helps to enjoy the complex sensations of bitterness, tartness and layers of flavors. I'm not even sure it's an acquired taste. Some folks have different taste buds and don't enjoy the same things. I know folks who'd rather drink wine, gin, etc., and can't stand the taste of beer. My dad joked the taste of beer made him angry, wondering why anyone would make such stuff, let alone drink it. He preferred good red wines. I enjoy good wine occasionally, but it's not something I'd grab after a hot bike ride.

I'm from a typical Texas background of mutts. We're about evenly split between German, UK and Native American ancestry. Our family joked that we're the typical byproducts of immigrants and natives who were chased out of every respectable state and territory until we end up in the drain catch of the nation -- Texas -- the one place nobody cared anymore who you were or where you came from because we were all misfits and rejects.

The Native heritage was suppressed by the early 20th century by folks who wanted to blend in with a Texas culture that was increasingly emphasizing entrepreneurial enterprise and less accommodating to "foreigners". All sides of my family on my mom's and dad's sides denied any Native American heritage, although later genealogy research showed we had it on both side, as do most Texans who's families have been here since the 19th century. So while my paternal grandfather may have been as much as 50% Native and at least 25%, he wasn't aware of it until my grandmother and dad did the genealogy research. He only knew his mother was part Native American but didn't know how much. It appears she may have been full Cherokee, but ended up in Texas after her family were forced out of the Carolinas. She married a man of mostly Welsh ancestry. They were of the stiff necked teetotaler types who drank only on the sly, regarded life as an unpleasant chore to be gotten through with as little fun as possible. Fortunately my granddad was the youngest of 13 kids and mostly left to his own devices, so he left home as a teenager and wasn't too badly infected by the no-fun rigidity. Other than being a bit of a curmudgeon he was a good fellow.

My grandmother was of strongly Hill Country and East Texas German heritage and proud of it. Like many families they brewed beer, sang and played music, and regarded both hard work and recreational pleasures in equally high regard.
Old 05-04-18, 10:51 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat

I don't like most sweet drinks and rarely drink sodas or pops unless I'm seriously thirsty and there's nothing else available. I'd rather drink tepid tap water than a Coke. I drink coffee with a little sugar and cream, but that's about all. I find most electrolyte sports drinks too sweet, but supposedly a little sugar helps with fluid absorption. I usually dilute the powdered electrolyte mixes with twice as much water as recommended.
Try mixes with maltodextrin as the main or only sugar source. Its significantly less sweet than table sugar or HFCS, but breaks down quickly once it enters the stomach/intestines for fast absorption
Old 05-04-18, 07:28 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel

The therapeutical buzz and making boring activities fun. I like a cold beer after a hard riding day watching the deer and cows and the sunset and all those corny things. Beer is an icebreaker when people gather that don’t really know each other I guess you can say it is a social lubricant. Just keep it in bounds we all know someone that’s turns nasty only after a few. I hated peas and tomatoes now I love them and I have no explanation why. Beer is a cultural thing here so we were allowed to have a few beers at a young age but that was the 1970s today you would get arrested . Beer cravings get greater the more physically spent I am and in this hot climate the colder the better.
As did I. My sister and I would put sugar on them when we were forced to eat them (vegetables). In any event, I'm sure our taste buds change as we mature or become less sensitive to some tastes.

My grandmother was of strongly Hill Country and East Texas German heritage and proud of it. Like many families they brewed beer, sang and played music, and regarded both hard work and recreational pleasures in equally high regard.
I might agree with the cultural aspects of your perspective, but the genetic not so much.
Old 05-05-18, 12:02 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

As did I. My sister and I would put sugar on them when we were forced to eat them (vegetables). In any event, I'm sure our taste buds change as we mature or become less sensitive to some tastes.
I might agree with the cultural aspects of your perspective, but the genetic not so much.
Being of German and Belgian descendants yes it is genetic but genetics yes debatable but if you are of European ancestry you tend to like beer. I believe it is environmental and cultural but I don’t know if you like beer you like beer if you don’t you don’t. Doesn’t matter to me if you are cool you can drink tea as others drink beer and when we hit the road or trails on our bikes everything in the world is ok.
Old 05-05-18, 01:07 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I don't mean to imply there's something inherent to certain races or cultures that influence a genetic predisposition to enjoying beer. But the senses of taste and smell are heavily influenced by genetics and with a very diverse mix in my extended family I've seen equally diverse sensibilities toward tastes and odors.

My dad and I are very similar physically, but I love beer and he hated it. I enjoyed smoking, especially cigars, and as far as I know he never smoked. In that regard I took more after my paternal grandfather, who liked beer and smoked. But he craved salt and I have to force myself to use salt -- for me I have such a low craving for salt I have to force myself to use electrolytes in my water bottles on bike rides to avoid cramps and dehydration. I like rum, but it gave my paternal grandmother painful stomach cramps.

It's genetics, but with such a diverse mix of mutts it's a roll of the dice which sensory quirks turn up.
Old 05-05-18, 08:36 PM
ionlydrinkbud
weiser

Bikes: liv langma advanced 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yeah! There’s nothing better than a frosty beverage after a good ride!
Old 05-06-18, 02:32 AM
KraneXL

I don't mean to imply there's something inherent to certain races or cultures that influence a genetic predisposition to enjoying beer. But the senses of taste and smell are heavily influenced by genetics and with a very diverse mix in my extended family I've seen equally diverse sensibilities toward tastes and odors.
Don't worry, I got it. You just presented an irresistible opportunity to hearken to that ages old nature vs nurture debate. But we'll save that one for another thread.

My dad and I are very similar physically, but I love beer and he hated it. I enjoyed smoking, especially cigars, and as far as I know he never smoked. In that regard I took more after my paternal grandfather, who liked beer and smoked. But he craved salt and I have to force myself to use salt -- for me I have such a low craving for salt I have to force myself to use electrolytes in my water bottles on bike rides to avoid cramps and dehydration. I like rum, but it gave my paternal grandmother painful stomach cramps.

It's genetics, but with such a diverse mix of mutts it's a roll of the dice which sensory quirks turn up.[/QUOTE]Neither of my parents smoked, and none of the five kid do. Nature or nurture?