Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Ultegra RX808/805 rear derailleur

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-18, 10:22 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts

Does anyone have one of these yet? They have a mechanical and Di2 version. I'm planning for a CX build strictly for racing, and just learned about these. Wondering how well they stop chain slap and would also like to find out if it's compatible with RS505 hydro shifters. If not that would probably be a deal breaker for me.

https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/ne...and-di2-52018/
Old 07-06-18, 10:32 AM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
All Shimano road has the same pull ratio so it will work with your shifters.
Old 07-06-18, 10:32 AM
Facanh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
They're compatible with 11spd road stuff.

If it was up to me I would make clutch RDs mandatory on every single bike that has a rear derailleur. They're just awesome.

First I had a Shimano clutch RD on a 10spd straight bar hybrid, and now SRAM 1x11 on my gravel bike. Once you experience the quietness you can't go back. IMO.
Old 07-06-18, 10:39 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Facanh
They're compatible with 11spd road stuff.

If it was up to me I would make clutch RDs mandatory on every single bike that has a rear derailleur. They're just awesome.

First I had a Shimano clutch RD on a 10spd straight bar hybrid, and now SRAM 1x11 on my gravel bike. Once you experience the quietness you can't go back. IMO.
Yes, you can. I did. They are quiet, but they also create quite a bit of drag in the drive train. I'm not sure how many watts you lose, but it's enough to feel. Over the course of a Dirty Kanza 200, I think the added drag is worse than the possibility of a dropped chain. (And chain catchers don't cause drag.)

Of course, you can turn off the clutch on a Shimano rd (not a SRAM). But with the clutch off, you don't get the benefits of the clutch in the rough stuff.
Old 07-06-18, 10:45 AM
Facanh

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Yes, you can. I did. They are quiet, but they also create quite a bit of drag in the drive train. I'm not sure how many watts you lose, but it's enough to feel. Over the course of a Dirty Kanza 200, I think the added drag is worse than the possibility of a dropped chain. (And chain catchers don't cause drag.)

Of course, you can turn off the clutch on a Shimano rd (not a SRAM). But with the clutch off, you don't get the benefits of the clutch in the rough stuff.
That's why I wrote IMO at the end.

Not trolling, I don't understand how clutch RDs can cause drag in the drivetrain. Could you explain? The clutch only makes the cage harder to rotate forward, how does that translate to lost watts?

Sure, shifting up the cassette requires a tiny bit more force since you're fighting the clutch, but I still don't get the drag thing.
Old 07-06-18, 10:46 AM
gus6464

Shimano let's you set the tension on their clutch while I think SRAM does not.
Old 07-06-18, 11:05 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by Facanh
That's why I wrote IMO at the end.

Not trolling, I don't understand how clutch RDs can cause drag in the drivetrain. Could you explain? The clutch only makes the cage harder to rotate forward, how does that translate to lost watts?

Sure, shifting up the cassette requires a tiny bit more force since you're fighting the clutch, but I still don't get the drag thing.
The added shift force is a second symptom (drag being the first) of the same issue. The clutch maintains tension on the chain by exerting force on it -- pressing the jockey wheels against the chain with enough force to keep it solidly against the rings even in the face of severe shocks. If you're riding a mountain bike, the chances of frequently dropping 3 feet or so and dropping a chain are a lot higher, so the increased drivetrain drag is considered a necessary evil. On a gravel bike, if you never ride over anything rougher than a railroad crossing, the derailleur clutch provides zero benefit in exchange for the added drag.
Old 07-06-18, 11:22 AM
Facanh

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
The added shift force is a second symptom (drag being the first) of the same issue. The clutch maintains tension on the chain by exerting force on it -- pressing the jockey wheels against the chain with enough force to keep it solidly against the rings even in the face of severe shocks.
Still not trolling. But I still don't see it. The clutch can't put more tension on the chain, the spring does that. The clutch lives on the pivot point of the cage, and it simply adds more friction to that pivot point. You get less chain slap because the cage can't rotate forward as much, so it keeps that tension in the chain better. If you would weld the cage so it wouldn't be able to rotate you would get the same result, but you couldn't shift.

The Shimano one is super easy to take apart, do it and you will see, or just watch this video:

It's basically just a spring pushing against a steel drum and that's it (and there is a one way needle bearing so it only works in one direction).

Last edited by Facanh; 07-06-18 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-06-18, 11:31 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

I'm not here to argue theory with you. I've experienced the drive train drag myself. I rode a clutched rear derailleur on my gravel bike for a couple years. The drag eventually bothered me more than the possibility of a dropped chain.

Lots of people have shared the same experience that I've had. We've felt it for ourselves. But maybe we're all delusional and you're not. It's possible.
Old 07-06-18, 11:39 AM
Facanh

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm not trying to argue either, and I don't want to be rude, but I think you don't understand how it works. You're saying that a friction device on the pivot point of the cage puts more tension on the chain. That doesn't make any sense to me, and i'm just trying to understand it.

Sure, you could experience something, but if you can't actually explain why...

Personally I don't experience the drag. On my Shimano 10spd when I turn off the clutch, shifting gets a bit easier up the cassette, but that's it.

On my Rival 1 RD I can't turn off the clutch, but it runs much smoother and quieter than my 10spd Shimano group even with the clutch turned off... So both groups have a clutch, yet one feels less draggy.

Last edited by Facanh; 07-06-18 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-06-18, 11:43 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Someone over on RBR got one last week. Wish Shimano had warned us they were coming...or better still released them with the regular Ultegra 8000 kit rather than waiting until June/July.
Old 07-06-18, 11:55 AM
gus6464

I have never seen any video or lengthy discussion about clutch RDs causing any significant drag. What they for sure do is make it a little harder to shift because of the increased cable tension. I can see it causing drag if you put way too much tension on the clutch but that's about it.
Old 07-06-18, 12:00 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1976 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
To my understanding, in addition to the clutch, clutched rear derailleurs typically have stronger springs than unclutched derailleurs, which could increase tension (and therefore drag) on the lower run of the chain.
It's also possible - although I'm sure that this is a complicated issue - that the increase in tension from the clutch refusing to let the chain bounce increases drag on the lower run of the chain.

What magnitude these effects might have, I have no idea.
Old 07-06-18, 12:06 PM
gus6464

Originally Posted by HTupolev
To my understanding, in addition to the clutch, clutched rear derailleurs typically have stronger springs than unclutched derailleurs, which could increase tension (and therefore drag) on the lower run of the chain.
It's also possible - although I'm sure that this is a complicated issue - that the increase in tension from the clutch refusing to let the chain bounce increases drag on the lower run of the chain.

What magnitude these effects might have, I have no idea.
I'd be curious if anyone has actually measured the increased drag vs "ohh I can feel it for sure".
Old 07-06-18, 01:12 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by gus6464
I'd be curious if anyone has actually measured the increased drag vs "ohh I can feel it for sure".
I don't know, but here's what Bike Radar and others who have reason to know say about it in Bike Radar's PR piece on the introduction:

"Mountain bikers generally leave the clutch in 'on' position and only turn it off to ease the installation and removal of the wheel from the frame. It’s very likely that we’ll see more use of the on/off switch on road bikes as the clutch does add a small but measurable amount of friction."

"Going on feedback from riders in the past, they don’t have problems with their drivetrain per se, but sometimes the tension will drop for a split second on really rough sections. There is maybe a small penalty in efficiency [with a clutch derailleur], but in a race like Flanders or Roubaix, you are losing a lot more when your drivetrain isn’t engaging smoothly because of chainslap." - Matt Shriver, Trek Segafredo Technical Director

"Friction Facts founder Jason Smith has said clutch derailleurs — referencing SRAM's Force 1 derailleur at the time — do add a bit of resistance to the drivetrain."

And per Road Cycling UK (another of the dozens of friendly, almost identically worded, Shimano press releases the week Shimano officially didn't announce the derailleur):

"The benefits to professional road cyclists are less obvious - with increased chain tension comes the marginal loss of precious watts - but for the cobbles of the Spring Classics, the extra chain security may may prove advantageous."

Google is your friend.

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 07-06-18 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-06-18, 03:30 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The RX-805 is not listed in the current Di2 compatibility chart.

The web pages for the RX-800 and RX805 both say, "Compatible with current road DUAL CONTROL LEVER."

The RX805 Di2 version is $226 from Alex's Cycles in Japan. The price may fluctuate due to the exchange rate.

https://alexscycle.com/products/shim...ear-derailleur

I have a few really rough descents that make me wish I had a clutch derailleur. I may have to consider this.

-Tim-
Old 07-07-18, 05:36 AM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have one in a box (RX800) - I preordered it a few weeks ago while drunk and it showed up. According to Shimano it is compatible with all modern cable-pull 11 speed stuff. I'm betting it will work with the newest Tiagra, too. Still waiting on wheels for the build.

As for whether or not a Clutch RD is worth it - that all depends on how gnarly your gravel is.

FWIW when I went clutchless to clutched with a SRAM setup I never noticed increased shifting force. Stiffer springs, on the other hand, sure. I did notice less chain slap and fewer dropped chains.
Old 07-07-18, 10:20 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I ride a bike with an RD-6800 one day, and one with a clutched Rival 1 the next. I notice absolutely no difference. If there's more drag, it is to me imperceptible.

I also descend service roads so rough the bottles start trying to jangle out of the cages, so I'm thankful for the clutch.
Old 07-09-18, 03:58 PM
faulker479

Bikes: Synapse, Slate

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
With a full suspension MTB, i can see there being some extra tension/drag when not shifting, but since I've never been on a road/gravel bike or hard tail MTB with a clutch, I would have to ride it to figure it out. My only experience with a clutch drivetrain is the first gen Shimano XT 10spd. I would think that with a chain that isn't worn out, it shouldn't be too much.
I would need to ride one setup for a while, let the "this is awesome"/new toy is better feeling go a way, and then go back to the other to be able to really tell.
When I switched my road bike from 6800 level Di2 to 9100 level Di2, the shop owner asked me if I felt the difference. I told him not really. Same thing when I changed out my bottom bracket to a ceramic Kogel.
Old 07-10-18, 05:21 AM
cobra_kai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Diamondback investigated the drag issue and found that the drag increase in a clutched 1x11 system over a 2x11 system is negligible and from a system POV the 1x system is often a net gain because of aerodynamic improvements from removing the front derailleur. This was for a triathlon application so the aerodynamic portion is sort of irrelevant but the lack of increased drag is the important part. Here's the link if you're interested in a long read: https://ride.diamondback.com/frictio...1x-drivetrains
Old 07-10-18, 09:52 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
guys complaining about drag on clutched derailleurs, probably shouldn't be riding on bikes with tires bigger than 25c.....
Old 07-10-18, 10:16 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by cobra_kai
Diamondback investigated the drag issue and found that the drag increase in a clutched 1x11 system over a 2x11 system is negligible and from a system POV the 1x system is often a net gain because of aerodynamic improvements from removing the front derailleur. This was for a triathlon application so the aerodynamic portion is sort of irrelevant but the lack of increased drag is the important part. Here's the link if you're interested in a long read: https://ride.diamondback.com/frictio...1x-drivetrains
I wouldn't say lack of increased drag, they estimated the loss at 1w. While not a lot in relative to total power output, it does represent a significant increase in drivetrain friction losses which sum to ~7-10w
Old 07-10-18, 10:35 AM
cobra_kai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
While I agree 1 watt =/= 0 watt, for someone to say it's a significant affect on a race is ridiculous.
Old 07-10-18, 01:38 PM
birru

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2007 Pinarello Galileo 105, 2014 Raleigh Cadent 2, 2017 Jamis Renegade Expert

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I installed my RD-RX800 over the weekend on my 2017 Jamis Renegade Expert, upgrading from the RD-5800-GS. It feels really, really good. The clutch works well at stock settings. I haven't messed with adjustments yet. The clutch seems to add zero resistance to the drivetrain, or if it does it's imperceptible. I don't see how the clutch would add resistance to the drivetrain to be honest. Where I notice a difference is in shifting speed when shifting up, and a touch more effort at the lever when shifting down. It's not a huge deal. I'd just leave the clutch engaged all the time if it wasn't for the fact I'd be wearing away at the friction material needlessly. I'm not sure how long the material is supposed to last.
Old 07-10-18, 01:59 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by cobra_kai
While I agree 1 watt =/= 0 watt, for someone to say it's a significant affect on a race is ridiculous.
Again no one has said that. It also hasn't and won't stop me from using clutched deraillers, but for example after ~3months of hard training I've only increased my FTP by 13 watts this season, 1 watt is almost 10% of my gain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.