Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Manual. No.??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Manual. No.??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-19, 09:07 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Bike Manual. No.??

Why is it a bicycle doesn't come with an operating/parts manual.??

Did your new bike come with a manual.?? Mine didn't. Why.?? After all, many refer to a bicycle as a Machine.
Old 04-14-19, 09:24 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Mine did. They also included different springs for the future shock. But the manual is available online. Yours probably is too.
Old 04-14-19, 09:29 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Old 04-14-19, 10:17 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs

Did your new bike come with a manual.?? Mine didn't. Why.?? After all, many refer to a bicycle as a Machine.
Of the two bikes I've purchased brand new, the Cannondale came with several manuals including one that was basically 30 pages of warnings about the dangers of bike riding and disclaiming any liability for personal injury.

My Lynskey came with component OEM manuals but no overall bicycle manual. I imagine anyone dropping $2,000+ on a bicycle, is presumed to know how to ride.
Old 04-15-19, 06:28 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
You can pull up all of the spec sheets individually by component on the web. All .pdf files. Those are the only thing that came in the box anyway.
Old 04-15-19, 06:42 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Bikes should come with instructions on how to ride the darn things. It looks all easy and natural-like, but boy, is it hard to get the hang of!
Old 04-15-19, 08:19 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by General Geoff
Of the two bikes I've purchased brand new, the Cannondale came with several manuals including one that was basically 30 pages of warnings about the dangers of bike riding and disclaiming any liability for personal injury.

My Lynskey came with component OEM manuals but no overall bicycle manual. I imagine anyone dropping $2,000+ on a bicycle, is presumed to know how to ride.
I don't understand your comment.?? People who buy a bike at $250 know how to ride too. The manual should give a lot of information about parts and adjustments. It should be a manual that provides info about the things that are "good to know."
Old 04-15-19, 08:21 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
I don't understand your comment.?? People who buy a bike at $250 know how to ride too. The manual should give a lot of information about parts and adjustments. It should be a manual that provides info about the things that are "good to know."
The adjustments for installed components are covered in the OEM component manuals. Brakes, shifters, dérailleur, etc.
Old 04-15-19, 08:30 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
The people that actually read that kind of material...probably know how to find it.

As for the other 99.9999% of humanity that has never even opened the operator's manual of even their car, and wouldn't know the difference between a left-handed-monkey-wrench and a right-handed-monkey-wrench if you hit them it--it is a waste of paper.
Old 04-15-19, 08:31 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
The mechanics that assembled your bike threw the manual away. They'll be seeing you soon that way.

Old 04-15-19, 08:40 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I've bought two bikes that came with a "manual." For all the adjustments @BirdsBikeBinocsmention, they say, roughly, "Take it to your bike shop for adjustment." I suspect that's for two reasons. First, as noted, the OEM manuals have all the details on how to adjust the parts. Second, it's a legal defense mechanism; if you mis-adjust something and get hurt as a result, well, you were told to have it professionally adjusted.

If you want to know how to fix your own bike, either buy a good book or look at the Park Tools website.
Old 04-15-19, 08:57 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts

Did you ask for the manual when you bought the bike?

The manuals that I have seen and read are not in detail about adjusting things. When I built a bike the new parts I bought as I built it
all had detailed instructions with them.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 04-15-19 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-15-19, 09:00 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 770 Posts
The manual should give a lot of information about parts and adjustments. It should be a manual that provides info about the things that are "good to know."
Nothing on a bike is rocket science. You should be able to figure the stuff out on your own without even looking at a manual.

I have yet to look at bike manual and if for some reason there was something that seemed confusing...YouTube has hundreds of videos on bike repair.
Old 04-15-19, 09:01 AM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
The closest local dealer is now 30 minutes away by car on a good day when traffic is light. So I called Specialized a couple of weeks ago to see about getting actual parts breakdown, maintenance schedules, and any other instructions that might be available to assist in doing my own maintenance that are specific to their 2016 Roubaix frame. Unfortunately, that’s only provided to authorized dealers. Not sure why parts numbers need to be kept hidden from the cyclist.
Old 04-15-19, 09:02 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
The adjustments for installed components are covered in the OEM component manuals. Brakes, shifters, dérailleur, etc.
^^^This^^^

/thread
Old 04-15-19, 09:04 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
After all, many refer to a bicycle as a Machine.
its not all from 1 factory like a car..

A Bike is a frame with a name on it , and every other part is collected from various other companies,
in large numbers ..
to an assembly facility.

Your bike shop may have a collection of all the various product sheets for the various components ,
factory often packs a copy of those for several components in the shipping box
but they would be too much to pack into the hang tag with the price statement,

So, you have to ask for them , when you buy the bike , it it matters ...(most of the customers don't care)
PDF downloads found online has been mentioned..

you could also buy a few books on bicycle repair & service , to have on your bookshelf @ home..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-15-19 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-15-19, 09:04 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I've bought two bikes that came with a "manual." For all the adjustments @BirdsBikeBinocsmention, they say, roughly, "Take it to your bike shop for adjustment." I suspect that's for two reasons. First, as noted, the OEM manuals have all the details on how to adjust the parts. Second, it's a legal defense mechanism; if you mis-adjust something and get hurt as a result, well, you were told to have it professionally adjusted.

If you want to know how to fix your own bike, either buy a good book or look at the Park Tools website.
Bottom line is.... You got a manual. What else was in it.?? Or was it a one line manual.?? Seems more legally risky to not provide a manual at all. No.??
Old 04-15-19, 09:06 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Sapperc
The closest local dealer is now 30 minutes away by car on a good day when traffic is light. So I called Specialized a couple of weeks ago to see about getting actual parts breakdown, maintenance schedules, and any other instructions that might be available to assist in doing my own maintenance that are specific to their 2016 Roubaix frame. Unfortunately, that’s only provided to authorized dealers. Not sure why parts numbers need to be kept hidden from the cyclist.
Oil your chain after every few rides is going to be your biggest maintence you need to worry about. Everything else is a wear item and is replaced as needed...bearings, brake pads, worn out chainring/cassette teeth etc. You're bike will let you know when these things need to be replaced/repaired...making funny noises or not operating smoothly.

Again...this isn't rocket science folks.
Old 04-15-19, 09:06 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Try this link, it has all the manuals for your bike. If it doesn't work, could be region specific, go to the site yourself and download what you feel you need.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=239512-154247
Old 04-15-19, 09:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Seems more legally risky to not provide a manual at all. No.??
No, for the reason he tried to explain to you.

If I give you instructions and you screw it up, you can always argue that my instructions were faulty or not thorough enough. If I don't give you instructions and instead tell you take it to a professional and you don't and screw things up, it's easier to pin things on you. Comprende?
Old 04-15-19, 09:07 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Sapperc
Oil your chain after every few rides is going to be your biggest maintence you need to worry about. Everything else is a wear item and is replaced as needed...bearings, brake pads, worn out chainring/cassette teeth etc. You're bike will let you know when these things need to be replaced/repaired...making funny noises or not operating smoothly.

Again...this isn't rocket science folks. Maintenance schedules are reserved for machines with engines.
Old 04-15-19, 09:16 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Bottom line is.... You got a manual. What else was in it.?? Or was it a one line manual.?? Seems more legally risky to not provide a manual at all. No.??
Nothing useful, that's for sure. Plenty of legal disclaimers, a couple pages of warranty (mostly limitations on the warranty). IIRC one of them said don't take off the reflectors if you're going to ride in low light conditions (didn't say anything about adding lights!). Nothing on how to shift, steer, or pedal. And not just a one-liner, they had real paragraphs on potential problems and adjustment, all of which ended the same way. Don't ride the bike if the tires are worn out, "Take it to the professional mechanic at your bike shop." If the gears don't shift easily or cleanly, "Take it to the professional mechanic at your bike shop." If you notice some unusual noise, "Take it to the professional mechanic at your bike shop."

The last time our kitchen mixer wore out, it took me 5-10 minutes to read through the new mixer manual to figure out what the graphics meant on which beater went where. That was an informative and useful manual compared to any bicycle manual I've seen. Bike manual: 20 pages of wasted paper, saved because the dated receipt was stapled on to the last page, and the serial number noted.
Old 04-15-19, 09:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
This is the Specialized Owner's Manual. It comes with all of their bikes. There is no attempt to cover different makes and models of components. It hasn't been updated since 2007.

https://media.specialized.com/suppor..._AS_NZ_Web.pdf

In my experience, owner's manuals for most machines don't tell you how to service the machines but tell you to take it to a professional. This does describe some simple maintenance issues and solutions, but you won't be able to do much new after reading this.
Old 04-15-19, 09:56 AM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71

Again...this isn't rocket science folks. Maintenance schedules are reserved for machines with engines.
Actually, they do produce maintenance schedules and procedures which I prefer to have. This information is readily available online from every 3rd party component manufacturer but not from Specialized. Also, every part on the frame has a parts number, from the headset parts to the cable guides specific to the frame set which I prefer to have so I don’t have to describe a part to Specialized or an authorized dealer if I need something.

This thread is about manuals and specifically the lack of useful information provided to the end user in some instances. Some of us feel that void and would like it addressed.
Old 04-15-19, 12:09 PM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
I purchased my first drop bar bike with 105 group set last year. I have ridden bikes all my life and understand shifting. Wondered why I had to click twice to drop down to the small chainring. After owning and riding a couple thousand miles I recently found out that that is "trim" and you can use it when cross chaining to the large gears on rear. Wish I would have known sooner. An Owners manual would have been nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.