Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Giant Roam Owners Thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Giant Roam Owners Thread

Old 05-21-19, 03:32 PM
EaOutlaw1969

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dbushwacka
Thanks for the advice, one thing I'm not concerned about is setting up the derailleur, the only thing you should need to change is the cable tension. Just undo the bolt clamping the cable, check that you're in the bottom gear in the shifter, wind the barrel adjusters all the way in then back out a couple of turns, pull the cable tight and reclamp. Then just shift into second gear and use the barrel adjuster to fine tune so the jockey pulley lines up exactly with 2nd gear, job done.
Thanks is has been a while since I messed with derailleurs.
Old 05-25-19, 02:04 AM
EaOutlaw1969

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I have been looking into the idea of longer crank arms for my Roam 1 that is fitted with Shimano T521 that has 175mm long factory installed arms on it now.
has anyone done this to their Roam? was it worth it?
Old 05-26-19, 06:20 PM
VK_Rides84
NooBie

Bikes: Giant - Roam3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
2019 Roam 3

Just picked up a Roam 3 three weeks ago and have 150 plus miles on it after not riding since I was a kid.

I love the bike and quickly started making it more roady! While I am looking at buying a new road cycle I will be holding onto this for family outings and light trail riding.
Old 06-02-19, 06:52 PM
dueWest

Bikes: Huffy Superia (US made), 2018 Giant Roam 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zarbog
Couple of questions on the fenders and rear rack/trunks some of you have. Does your front derailer get muddy when using the Topeak Defender TX Fenders, and do you have any issues throwing your leg over the MTX trunk when you are getting on and off the bike ?

I don't ride in mud, but I do clean the gearsets/derailleurs and chain every few rides, especially if they start showing they look dirty.

As far as the trunk bag, I do have to lob my leg higher when mounting and dismounting with the bag. Without the bag, it wouldn't be as bad, but I like having the ability to carry stuff when I ride
Old 06-02-19, 11:29 PM
mosy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Roam Owners and Fans:

I am looking to purchase my first real bike. I am leaning heavily towards the 2019 Roam 2, because based on my research, it's a great value in terms of slightly better components for slightly less money than other bikes in its league (Trek DS 2, Specialized Cross Trail Hydraulic Disc). My only concern is with the brakes, which are Tektro, which seems to be a downgrade from last year's Roam 2 which had Shimano brakes. My understanding is that both have the same specs/power. But based on some research it seems people are happier with Shimano brakes overall vs Tektro. Is this a valid concern? Part of why I am going for the Roam 2 vs the 3 is for the hydraulic brakes. But if they are going to be subpar brakes, then perhaps it isn't worthwhile. Once I am spending $645 on the Roam 2, should I be considering the Trek DS 3 (at $799) for slightly better components, including Shimano brakes?

I would appreciate any guidance!
Old 06-03-19, 01:04 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Hi, mosy. I think folks generally are happier with Shimano hydraulic brakes -- at least from the standpoint that pretty much all Shimano hydraulic brakes are good. There are, of course, performance tiers as you go up in price, but there really aren't any poor performers. I've had the Tektro brakes that come on the 2019 Roams, and I don't think they're bad brakes, but they are a step down from the Shimanos. They use the same size pads, so you can interchange them, and upgrade the Tektros with any performance pad that's available for the Shimanos. But the Tektros, I think, do not have brake lever reach adjustment (and the Shimanos do). You can't adjust the free stroke with either one, but you can at least set the free position of the lever on the Shimano brakes. I also like the bleeding design on the Shimano brakes better, which have a separate bleed screw and bleed port. The Tekros use a combined bleed screw/port and it's not quite as clean this way in my experience. My dad has a 2015 Trek 8.4 DS with the Tektro brakes, and one of the calipers started leaking at the seam, so he replaced them with Shimano Deore brakes.

Having said that, I personally recommend paying more attention to other aspects of the bike, like the fit, frame style, color choice, etc. You can buy a pre-bled set of the Shimano brakes for $50-70 on eBay and install them yourself. And that's one nice thing about the Roam over the DS, in my opinion: the shift cables and rear brake hose are routed external to the frame (vs. internal), which makes maintenance and replacement a snap. They all route down the downtube under the smartly-designed downtube protection on the Roam, which is another nice plus: you won't get stone or gravel chips in your downtube paint. But anyway, you can easily swap to Shimano brakes eventually if you want them (or right away) with the Roam.

If you like the Roam better, I wouldn't let the brakes stop you from buying the bike. The Trek is over $150 more expensive for essentially the same set of components. The drivetrain is near identical. The fork is identical. They both have 38mm tires. If you add the cost of replacing the brakes on the Roam, you're still $75-100 ahead of the Trek. I've owned a number of Treks, and still have four, but I bought my 2018 Roam 2 because I just couldn't see spending more on the DS.

Another option: it looks like there's still some 2018 Roam 2 stock kicking around, at least according to Giant's website. See if they have the size and color that interests you in a bike shop near you. I bought the Satin Grey, and I really like the color.
Old 06-03-19, 01:31 PM
mosy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Hi, mosy. I think folks generally are happier with Shimano hydraulic brakes -- at least from the standpoint that pretty much all Shimano hydraulic brakes are good. There are, of course, performance tiers as you go up in price, but there really aren't any poor performers. I've had the Tektro brakes that come on the 2019 Roams, and I don't think they're bad brakes, but they are a step down from the Shimanos. They use the same size pads, so you can interchange them, and upgrade the Tektros with any performance pad that's available for the Shimanos. But the Tektros, I think, do not have brake lever reach adjustment (and the Shimanos do). You can't adjust the free stroke with either one, but you can at least set the free position of the lever on the Shimano brakes. I also like the bleeding design on the Shimano brakes better, which have a separate bleed screw and bleed port. The Tekros use a combined bleed screw/port and it's not quite as clean this way in my experience. My dad has a 2015 Trek 8.4 DS with the Tektro brakes, and one of the calipers started leaking at the seam, so he replaced them with Shimano Deore brakes.

Having said that, I personally recommend paying more attention to other aspects of the bike, like the fit, frame style, color choice, etc. You can buy a pre-bled set of the Shimano brakes for $50-70 on eBay and install them yourself. And that's one nice thing about the Roam over the DS, in my opinion: the shift cables and rear brake hose are routed external to the frame (vs. internal), which makes maintenance and replacement a snap. They all route down the downtube under the smartly-designed downtube protection on the Roam, which is another nice plus: you won't get stone or gravel chips in your downtube paint. But anyway, you can easily swap to Shimano brakes eventually if you want them (or right away) with the Roam.

If you like the Roam better, I wouldn't let the brakes stop you from buying the bike. The Trek is over $150 more expensive for essentially the same set of components. The drivetrain is near identical. The fork is identical. They both have 38mm tires. If you add the cost of replacing the brakes on the Roam, you're still $75-100 ahead of the Trek. I've owned a number of Treks, and still have four, but I bought my 2018 Roam 2 because I just couldn't see spending more on the DS.

Another option: it looks like there's still some 2018 Roam 2 stock kicking around, at least according to Giant's website. See if they have the size and color that interests you in a bike shop near you. I bought the Satin Grey, and I really like the color.
Thanks hokiefyd for the detailed response! You make a great point about changing the brakes to Shimano and still coming out $75-100 ahead of the Trek DS3. However, while I agree that the drivetrain is nearly the same, there are some components that are slightly better on the DS3 i.e. Acera levers shifters (instead of Altus on the Roam) and Alivio rear derailleur (instead of Acera on the Roam). Does this not close that $75-100 gap or at least make it much closer?

Last edited by mosy; 06-03-19 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-03-19, 02:42 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by mosy
Thanks hokiefyd for the detailed response! You make a great point about changing the brakes to Shimano and still coming out $75-100 ahead of the Trek DS3. However, while I agree that the drivetrain is nearly the same, there are some components that are slightly better on the DS3 i.e. Acera levers shifters (instead of Altus on the Roam) and Alivio rear derailleur (instead of Acera on the Roam). Does this not close that $75-100 gap or at least make it much closer?
The Acera and Altus shifters are pretty interchangeable. The Altus ones have the gear display below the bar, and are just labeled "9 1" with nothing in between. The Acera ones have the gear display above the bar, and are labeled "9 7 5 3 1" which I like better. I upgraded my Roam to the Acera shifters only because I found then super cheap on eBay. They are "SL-M3000" if you want to search the internet or eBay for them.

The Acera derailler on the Giant is actually of a newer design than the Alivio derailleur on the Trek. The Acera is an RD-M3000 and uses Shimano's Shadow derailleur technology. Shimano have moved all of their mountain deraillers (M in M3000 means "mountain) to the Shadow design, even down to the Altus level RD-M2000. The Trek's Alivio is an RD-T4000 and is a more traditional derailleur with the sprung B-pivot. In this case, T in T4000 means "trekking", and Shimano have not moved their trekking derailleurs to the Shadow design. In this case, it's really six of one, half a dozen of the other. I've used both types and both types have advantages and disadvantages.

The shifters and derailleurs are so close, they are functionally interchangeable. The one thing you can't change about the bike is the fit and finish and color. If you like the Trek better, then buy the Trek. If you like the Giant better, then buy the Giant. I'd look at components only if it's a true toss-up and you can't decide. What about your bike shops? If the Trek and Giant stores are different, do you prefer one over the other? Staff there? Friendliness? Both Trek and Giant offer excellent warranties, so you should be covered well there.
Old 06-05-19, 02:25 AM
EaOutlaw1969

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Hi guys I finally got around to installing a Box Components Black Box One Alloy 31.8mm BMX Style Bar with a 7" Rise BX-HB17ATT70-BK
I also replaced the adjustable Ritchie stem to a short Bmx style stem to get the bars closer to me.
The upgrade worked out well except the front shifter cable is too short to use which is OK since I will not be using the front shifter once I get a mid drive ebike kit.
what I did not know is the bars have graphics on them and on one side is printed One which is cool since my Bike is a Roam one.

Last edited by EaOutlaw1969; 06-05-19 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-05-19, 04:05 PM
vitarra

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking of buying Roam 0. Is there much diffrence between 2018 and 2019 ?
Old 06-05-19, 04:37 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Hey Outlaw 69:

It looks like you are trying to turn your Roam into a Sedona in terms of riding position. I bought the Sedona specifically for the tall stack, Which places the handlebar's 8" higher then my seat perhaps close to your modified Roam, And for its short reach, Which you might get close to with shorter stem. I love the upright seating position. Its not just about comfort, But it makes bike riding more pleasurable too.

Very nice bike, and great job BTY.
Old 06-05-19, 04:55 PM
EaOutlaw1969

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
Hey Outlaw 69:

It looks like you are trying to turn your Roam into a Sedona in terms of riding position. I bought the Sedona specifically for the tall stack, Which places the handlebar's 8" higher then my seat perhaps close to your modified Roam, And for its short reach, Which you might get close to with shorter stem. I love the upright seating position. Its not just about comfort, But it makes bike riding more pleasurable too.

Very nice bike, and great job BTY.
Thanks I loved the Roam 1 and had to have it, yet I knew upfront I had to modify it to get it to the point where I could ride it.
Out of all the bikes in my budget at the time the Roam 1 was the only one that called out to me to take it home.
Likes For EaOutlaw1969:
Old 06-05-19, 04:57 PM
EaOutlaw1969

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vitarra
I'm thinking of buying Roam 0. Is there much diffrence between 2018 and 2019 ?
here are some links to compare both bikes I hope it helps
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/roam-0-disc-2018

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/roam-0-disc

Last edited by EaOutlaw1969; 06-05-19 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-14-19, 01:09 PM
arvindgs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need help regarding Giant Roam 3 2018.

Hello. I am using Giant Roam 3 2018 Medium from last three months. But I am suffering from pain in both wrists, both palms during and after every ride. My palms become pink while riding. I think I am getting too much pressure of my body on my wrists and palms. My fingers go numb while riding. I am very nervous due to this. I can not experience the pleasure of riding.
I am 5 feet 9 inches. My weight is 100 kg. My inseam is 81 cm.
What exactly should I do to overcome this?
Thanks in advance for valuable suggestions.
Old 06-14-19, 01:16 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by arvindgs
Hello. I am using Giant Roam 3 2018 Medium from last three months. But I am suffering from pain in both wrists, both palms during and after every ride. My palms become pink while riding. I think I am getting too much pressure of my body on my wrists and palms. My fingers go numb while riding. I am very nervous due to this. I can not experience the pleasure of riding.
I am 5 feet 9 inches. My weight is 100 kg. My inseam is 81 cm.
What exactly should I do to overcome this?
Thanks in advance for valuable suggestions.
Are you wearing gloves when riding? Did you replace the grips by chance or just have the stock grips? Issues like this are more of a fit issue, where you are putting too much weight on your hands. If you don't have your hands position well, you will put undue pressure on your wrists, thus making hands and fingers go numb.

Getting some nice supporting grips and adjusted to support your wrists properly along with comfortable gloves helps out greatly.
Old 08-13-19, 07:16 AM
hokiefyd 

Giant have released information on their 2020 Roam line.

They've dropped the Roam 1 (and never offered the Roam 0 in the US to my knowledge), and have added a less expensive model, the Roam 4 ($450). Every model of Roam now comes with hydraulic disc brakes. Another interesting move is their drivetrain selection. The Roam 4 comes with a 3x7 (with cassette), and the Roam 2 and 3 now have 2x drivetrains (2x9 and 2x8, respectively). That 2x crankset is a 28/44, which I would probably find pretty frustrating to use (I'm in a 36 or 38 tooth ring nearly all the time). They don't have any 10-speed offerings on their website now (the Roam 1 had that); I don't know if they plan to offer a Roam 1 later this year or if they've decided to let it go completely. All Roams now come with 42mm tires from the factory.

Pricing is $450 for the Roam 4, $550 for the Roam 3, and $670 for the Roam 2.
Colors: "Light Tan" for the Roam 4, "Navy" or "Gloss Black/Orange" for the Roam 3, and "Charcoal/Black" and "Pure Red/Black" for the Roam 2.
Old 08-13-19, 10:26 AM
madferrit

Bikes: Giant Roam 2 (2020)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After browsing this forum for the last week I've placed an order for a Roam 2. It's my first bike and I was trying to decide between this and the Roam 1, but opted on the 2 and decided to spend the rest of my budget on accessories. Can't wait to get delivery in a week.
Old 08-13-19, 12:39 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Giant have released information on their 2020 Roam line.

They've dropped the Roam 1 (and never offered the Roam 0 in the US to my knowledge), and have added a less expensive model, the Roam 4 ($450). Every model of Roam now comes with hydraulic disc brakes. Another interesting move is their drivetrain selection. The Roam 4 comes with a 3x7 (with cassette), and the Roam 2 and 3 now have 2x drivetrains (2x9 and 2x8, respectively). That 2x crankset is a 28/44, which I would probably find pretty frustrating to use (I'm in a 36 or 38 tooth ring nearly all the time). They don't have any 10-speed offerings on their website now (the Roam 1 had that); I don't know if they plan to offer a Roam 1 later this year or if they've decided to let it go completely. All Roams now come with 42mm tires from the factory.

Pricing is $450 for the Roam 4, $550 for the Roam 3, and $670 for the Roam 2.
Colors: "Light Tan" for the Roam 4, "Navy" or "Gloss Black/Orange" for the Roam 3, and "Charcoal/Black" and "Pure Red/Black" for the Roam 2.
I'll never understand why Australia gets all the Roam models and the USA does not.

Could this be due to an agreement between Giant & Trek (who I believe have Giant make most of their range)?
Old 08-13-19, 06:37 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I'll never understand why Australia gets all the Roam models and the USA does not.

Could this be due to an agreement between Giant & Trek (who I believe have Giant make most of their range)?
I think it's more likely just market factors. Specialized seem to have done or be doing the same thing -- dropping their highest trims of the Crosstrail and selling only more basic models. I reckon many in the US see hybrids as "cruiser" or "comfort" bikes and are more likely to spend $1,000 on a mountain bike than on a hybrid bike like a Roam or Crosstrail.

That is, of course, only a guess.
Old 08-13-19, 11:26 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
I think it's more likely just market factors. Specialized seem to have done or be doing the same thing -- dropping their highest trims of the Crosstrail and selling only more basic models. I reckon many in the US see hybrids as "cruiser" or "comfort" bikes and are more likely to spend $1,000 on a mountain bike than on a hybrid bike like a Roam or Crosstrail.

That is, of course, only a guess.
But with the Crosstrail, what Specialized is doing there, they are doing for every country.

Why I suspect Giant may not be offering all their Roam models in the USA, being down to an agreement with Trek, is along the same lines why Merida limit what they sell in the USA, due to manufacturing for and owning part of Specialized.

In Australia, we also get the full line up of Merida bikes.
Old 08-14-19, 05:29 AM
hokiefyd 

Yes, I suppose anything is possible. My amateur assessment of that arrangement would be Giant letting Trek strong-arm them into artificially limiting their product line when Giant may have the upper hand, actually making many of Trek's frames (at least their aluminum ones). I wouldn't think that Giant would need the frame-making business that badly but my opinion on this is definitely an "uninformed" one, not knowing the particulars of the contracts.

You may very well be right!
Old 08-14-19, 06:43 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,158 Times in 591 Posts
Hmmmm. The possibility that Giant would restrict export of its highish-end hybrids -- e.g. Roam 0/1 and Toughroad 0 -- into the U.S. at the request of Trek is extremely remote to say the least. Why on earth would they? Their acting as a sub-contractor for Trek, building frames, likely represents a miniscule revenue stream relative to their overall business.

In the case of Specialized, their agreement with Merida has no effect other than that Merida does not sell, at all, into N.A.

I suspect one or both of two things is going on with the Specialized Crosstrail: demand and/or re-design.

Demand: the market for 'highish-end' hybrids in the U.S., relative even to Aus./Canada/the U.K., let alone Europe, is historically limited. That certainly explains why Giant doesn't bother with the Roam 0 (and now 1) in the U.S. specifically, and may explain why Specialized has 'dropped' higher-end Crosstrails across the board, if they have: limited sales in the U.S., their most important market by far. In the case of Specialized this may be exacerbated by what is now an overlap with the newer Sirrus, with its greatly-increased tire capacity and -- in the case of the carbon ones, e.g. X Comp. -- Future Shock on the front end.

Re-design: it may simply be the case that Specialized is running out stock of the current Crosstrail ('17 through '19, iirc), pending a re-release for 2020.
Old 08-16-19, 03:12 PM
hairyco

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently bought a 2019 Giant Roam 2 Disc from my LBS, but I saw an ad on craigslist for a 2017 Giant Roam 0 that is barely used (less than 150km) with receipts and everything.
I'm stuck on whether to return the 2019 Roam 2 Disc and buy a second-hand 2017 Giant Roam 0, or just keep the bike I bought. I wanted to draw from everyone's experienced opinions.

I am in Canada, and I plan to use this bike to commute to work (~8.5 km one way) through city roads/traffic and trails, and I plan to electrify the bike with a direct drive rear wheel hub motor on dry days.

From the specs on the giant website, 2017 Roam 0 vs 2019 Roam 2 Disc, the components are an upgrade. However, I wanted to ask everyone here if they are upgrades in terms of durability rather than performance.

The situation is that I would have to pay my LBS a restocking fee to return the 2019 Roam 2 Disc. In the end, the price I would pay for the second hand 2017 Roam 0 would be the same as what I am paid for the 2019 Roam 2 Disc plus restocking fee.
I would lose the warranty, free service to tune up the bike for the lifetime of the bike.

What are your thoughts?
Old 08-16-19, 06:48 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,158 Times in 591 Posts
Six of one, half dozen of the other.

The '17 Roam 0 is a much nicer bike than a '19 Roam 2, as a bicycle. If you were planning on using it as such, probably worth the saw-off to make the switch. But if you plan to modify your bike to turn it into an underpowered motorcycle anyway, it will really make no difference in the long run, so I wouldn't bother. Do bear in mind, though, that if you make that modification to your new Roam 2 you will also sacrifice any Giant warranty, and possibly the dealer service committment.

There is an electric motorcycle sub-forum here on Bike Forums -- they are referred to as "e bikes", I believe -- you might ask there and get responses from folks interested in these motor vehicles.
Old 08-17-19, 09:35 AM
hairyco

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Six of one, half dozen of the other.

The '17 Roam 0 is a much nicer bike than a '19 Roam 2, as a bicycle. If you were planning on using it as such, probably worth the saw-off to make the switch. But if you plan to modify your bike to turn it into an underpowered motorcycle anyway, it will really make no difference in the long run, so I wouldn't bother.
Why do you say that it makes no difference?
Sorry to be ignorant. Do gears, derailleurs, brakes and other components not matter for bikes that have pedal assist?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.