Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Looks like I wanted an adventure bike after all...

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-19, 10:59 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

Gravel vs Adventure.

I admit it. I wanted a race bike for well groomed gravel, a Cervelo S5 with 40 mm tires or a Pinnarello Dogma F10 with knobbies...

I don't want an adventure bike. Options?

Fast forward two years and I've come full circle. Stream crossings? Bring it. Filtering water from a mountain stream? It's like Champagne. Nothing brings more happiness than heading down road not shown on the map just to see where it goes.

I've bikepacked twice with my Niner "I don't want an adventure bike" RDO and will attempt a third trip in a few weeks. Maybe Niner should call it the RLT 9 IDWAB.

It isn't about a specific bike but gravel vs adventure, pea gravel over smooth hard pack vs off the grid and I wish I had brought a tent. Like the guy who swore he would never drive an SUV and now guess what... Yeah, I'm that guy. Funny how we think we know the man in the mirror so well.

Not sure I really have a point to this. Just felt like confessing. I really did want an adventure bike after all.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 06-20-19 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-20-19, 02:27 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
With terrain like that I bet you did
Old 06-20-19, 05:03 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Slowly heading in the same direction, having just purchased another small frame bag. Will be doing my first overnighter at some stage when I have some gear.
Just sold the road bike also, so that's it. One do-it-all bike.
Old 06-20-19, 05:34 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
That was a fun thread, it's wild how much has changed in gravel bikes in a little over two years.

Always interesting how our wants/needs and perceptions change over time and experience. I think it's great that you found the bike and style of riding that is most enjoyable for you.
Old 06-21-19, 06:59 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Looks like adventure bike terrain there. Salsa Cutthroat? Fargo? I've got woodchippers on my fat bike currently. It makes keeping up with gravel bikes on a group ride a threshold experience, but it is noticeably faster and more comfortable than the flat bars.
Old 06-21-19, 07:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Oh- it really just looks like you now want 2 bikes.

Your Niner fit what you were looking to do at the time, so it was just want you wanted. Now, you have been bitten by a new bug due to the great riding experiences the Niner provided you.
Sounds like the Niner was really great then as it met your wish list from a couple years ago and has helped lead you to a new passion.

N+1 may be a cliche on this forum, but its also quite apt in many instances.
Get a bikepacking bike to compliment your gravel road bike. You can then go ride what you want without the effort of adding or removing bags, adding or removing chainrings, etc etc.

On a related note- I recently sold by touring frame. This fall, I am going to then transition my current gravel frame into a touring bike and build a gravel frame. My current gravel frame can handle up to 50mm tires and would certainly qualify as an adventure frame/bike. The new gravel frame will be a bit lighter and should feel faster(perception is reality!).
Old 06-21-19, 08:05 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

No, I've no plans to buy a dedicated bikepacking bike. To me, "Adventure" encompasses more than just bikepacking. Adventure can be done-in-a-day and the Niner works fine.

If I did upgrade it would be a Trail Donkey 3.0 and the Niner would go away but that isn't going to happen. It was expensive and I intend to get my money's worth. I've yet to kill the thing

Unless someone wants to make me an offer I can't refuse.

-Tim-
Old 06-21-19, 05:18 PM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I'm looking at doing some bikepacking myself. I don't see any reason my Litespeed gravel bike can't do double duty.

I'v even thinking of getting rid of the road bike and letting the Litespeed do triple duty.
Old 06-21-19, 06:42 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
After a bunch of experimenting I'm working towards a two bike stable (well 3 if I count my FG but that's a different sort of thing).

My Endurance bike with 700c x 32 for road and 650b x 40 (or so) for easy gravel. That tire size keeps the BB height the same.

My new fatbike with 26 x 4.6 and 29 x 3 for longer bike packing.

Old 06-21-19, 06:48 PM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Right now my gravel bike is a commuter / go fast on gravel bike. I have serious considered going with 27.5 x 1.9 tires and converting it to more of an adventure bike. The only thing holding me back is the fact that it would result in my mountain bike getting less attention. I spent way too much money on my mountain bike to let it sit.
Old 06-22-19, 04:01 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
My new fatbike with 26 x 4.6 and 29 x 3 for longer bike packing.

Yeah, this would be the way to go for true Iohan Gueorguiev style off the grid exploration and trekking.

I still enjoy trying to keep up with the younger and more aerobically blessed fellas such as @Spoonrobot on occasion and so the Niner will stay. Right now it will do double duty - both fast mixed surface and gravel rides and slower bikepacking/adventure rides.

-Tim-