Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Full Suspension Gravel Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-19, 11:17 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts

Would you consider this combination a full suspension gravel bike? Just a thought, might throw this together in the future...
TOPSTONE CARBON 105 + Lauf Grit - Lauf Fork

I personally love the idea of a little extra give in a gravel bike, because, if I went gravel I'd want something more than an endurance road bike + slightly wider tires. I also like the above thought because there would be essentially no maintenance, it's all gravel/allroad specific suspension (unlike aftershock or iso speed decouples, which seem to be meant more for eliminating road buzz).
Old 06-26-19, 12:07 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Drop bar 29er has been an idea for ages.

I think that once the compliance gets to be "that" much on a gravel bike, you've just eliminated parts of the bike making it faster than going with a 29er in the first place............weight, geometry, stiffness.

Sure, I wish I could take my gravel/cross bike on "more" stuff than I do. But, in doing so I suddenly ruin any speed advantage it has on the easier stuff or on any blacktop that happens to be between the offroad stuff.

While aero of road geometry matters, the CRR of some people's gravel tires they run is just silly slow.

It's an odd art to find what is fastest for what you like to ride or race.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-26-19, 12:38 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by firebird854
Would you consider this combination a full suspension gravel bike? Just a thought, might throw this together in the future...

I personally love the idea of a little extra give in a gravel bike, because, if I went gravel I'd want something more than an endurance road bike + slightly wider tires. I also like the above thought because there would be essentially no maintenance, it's all gravel/allroad specific suspension (unlike aftershock or iso speed decouples, which seem to be meant more for eliminating road buzz).
Sure, but why not just go all-in? Should be available soon:
Old 06-26-19, 12:41 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Bombtrack Hook ADV. No need to look any further.

-Kedosto
Old 06-26-19, 12:45 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
For the kind of gravel riding the groups I ride with yes. We always end up on "roads" that are more 4 wheeler trails and/or single track but there is also a lot of beat up pavement and normal gravel so I don't want to drag around a mtn bike just for those really rough sections.
Old 06-26-19, 12:47 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
We're all just gonna be riding full-suspension mountain bikes in 10 years.
Old 06-26-19, 01:12 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Sure, but why not just go all-in? Should be available soon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1HjKMz1Hlw
Specifically because that is wildly more expensive and I would probably have to maintain those shocks somehow (correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm a total roadie).
Old 06-26-19, 01:23 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
What sub forum am I reading?
Old 06-26-19, 01:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by firebird854

I guess its a full suspension since the rear pivots and the front squishes.

'Gravel' varies greatly from region to region, state to state, and even county to county. What one persons rides will be different from what another person rides, and then there are those who want their gravel road bike to be a singletrack bike too so they want something even more different.
I would need to ride over a lot worse than the gravel and level-B roads in Iowa to want something with full suspension.

Tires give suspension and absorb vibration.
Get a redshift stem to provide a little suspension and absorb vibration.
Get some flared bars to provide a more comfortable and secure hand position when riding over gravel. It will allow you to be more secure while holding the bar lighter, therefore absorbing less vibration.

If I rode in a place where gravel roads looked like the streets of bombed out Mogadishu, then yeah a full suspension would be nice.
Old 06-26-19, 02:24 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I think that once the compliance gets to be "that" much on a gravel bike, you've just eliminated parts of the bike making it faster than going with a 29er in the first place............weight, geometry, stiffness.
It isn't just compliance - suspension travel.

A mountain bike suspension is tuned for high amplitude, low frequency hits - large bumps, rocks, roots and jumps. Bottoming out the suspension is typically something designers try to avoid.

A grave bike suspension such as the Niner MCR is tuned for low amplitude, high frequency hits similar to the constant small bumps and vibrations one would find when riding over chunky gravel. The designers assume the suspension will bottom out occasionally, or even frequently.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Get a redshift stem to provide a little suspension and absorb vibration.
MTB and gravel suspensions are designed to maximize grip and traction. Rider comfort is a concern but it is secondary to traction.

Redshift and other similar products such as decouplers on road bikes are not suspensions. Their design goal is comfort. They do nothing to maximize traction.

Two different design goals, two different classes of products, two different discussions.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 06-26-19 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-26-19, 02:56 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
The designers assume the suspension will bottom out occasionally, or even frequently.
If the suspension is low-travel and tuned for high-frequency low-amplitude stuff, it's usually designed to avoid bottom-out by being very stiff and/or progressive. Bottom-out is sometimes inevitable, but pretty much always undesirable.

Redshift and other similar products such as decouplers on road bikes are not suspensions. Their design goal is comfort. They do nothing to maximize traction.
They're mechanisms that use springs (sometimes explicit, sometimes integral to the system) to isolate the rider from surface irregularities. They're only "not suspension" insofar as marketing teams like to avoid calling them "suspension" because "suspension" is a dirty word in road cycling.

It's true that they're not as effective at maximizing traction as they would be if they were lower down in the system, but they're likely still able to improve rolling efficiency by minimizing transmitted deflection to the rider.