Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is my Chain Ring worn?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Is my Chain Ring worn?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-19, 06:00 PM
paramountx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is my Chain Ring worn?

I'm unsure of it is. I mean I've seen worse chain rings but I don't know for sure. I don't think it's bad but would you change it?

Old 06-26-19, 06:21 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Might want to clean it before pictures...
Likes For trailangel:
Old 06-26-19, 06:31 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
When I overhauled Frankenbike the chain rings looked a lot like yours...I changed them rather than wishing I had. I went from a 7 to 9 cassette as well to get a 32 cog...probably overkill, but it worked out okay.
Old 06-26-19, 06:35 PM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Why are you asking? You don’t need to change parts that function properly. The grit encrusted chainrings suggest better and more routine maintenance, otherwise, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
Old 06-26-19, 06:39 PM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
^+1 This. Clean rings good. Dirty rings bad!
Old 06-26-19, 06:50 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,512 Times in 2,855 Posts
Originally Posted by Sapperc
Why are you asking? You don’t need to change parts that function properly. The grit encrusted chainrings suggest better and more routine maintenance, otherwise, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
^This.
I've only changed chainrings for 2 reasons:
a) Chainsuck. (Teeth wear to slightly hooked profile that won't release chain, resulting in lower chain shoved up into FD.)
b) Pins on backside of large ring getting rounded off, making shifting onto large ring impossible.
Old 06-26-19, 06:58 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
Of course the rings are worn, you used them after all...

Outside of the grime what I see is tooth wear from stretched chains. Andy.
Old 06-26-19, 07:08 PM
paramountx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Of course the rings are worn, you used them after all...

Outside of the grime what I see is tooth wear from stretched chains. Andy.
Yeah so my thinking is, well I'm putting a new chain and a new cassette at the back. And this being worn I'm not sure if it's worn to the point where it'll induce accelerated wear on my chain and cassette. That's my concern imo
Old 06-26-19, 07:17 PM
paramountx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 06-26-19, 08:38 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
really, truly, deeply---clean your drivetrain more often, dont let it get all "erosion paste" like that.
wipe your chain down with an old rag every few rides, takes seconds, use same rag to wipe chainrings, rd jockey wheels, and rag floss the cassette once in a while--all this will go a long way to longer drivetrain life.

and learn to measure a chain over 1 foot to see how much chain wear has occurred, so that you arent wearing away stuff from an overstretched/worn chain.
Likes For djb:
Old 06-26-19, 09:47 PM
paramountx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right. Will do.
Old 06-27-19, 08:03 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
It does look worn a bit. How does it operate/shift?
Old 06-27-19, 08:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Often mistaken is the redesign of the chain ring teeth to ease, speed up, shifting ..for wear..

to know if they are worn, you compare a brand new chain laid around the chainrings.

or better still new cassette new chain (so you know they are fine) does the chain skip on the chainring teeth [still]?

Old 06-27-19, 09:10 AM
djb

I cant imagine a new chain will be skipping on those chainrings, they are not shark toothed at all.

sure, as noted, if some wear has occurred from too long chain left on too long, then it may affect a new chain, in terms of accelerating chain wear, but I guess the only way to know is to put the new stuff on and see.
I would guess that it will be fine.

and the whole "keeping the drivetrain clean ish" thing certainly does help wiht long term wear, but thats up to you. Generally, doing the regular , fast and easy rag wipe of stuff at least keeps the excess chain lube down, that always comes out on its own, and all it does is have dirt stick to it, and makes the gunky, gritty paste that was on everything.
Old 06-27-19, 09:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
As some other have said, if they aren't giving you problems, then it isn't necessary to replace them. Everyone has their own degree to which they want to ensure they won't have future problems. If having a mis-shift or a chain skip on a future ride is going to really bum you out and make you cuss every one that ever worked at the chainwheels maker, then set up a schedule to replace rings and cassette. If you replace one or the other, then replace the chain too.

I usually don't mind about problems that arise on a daily ride. I just fix after it's a problem.
Old 06-28-19, 09:03 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
This is a good thread, as I've wondered when my chain ring needs replacing too. I always thought the chain ring was worn when the teeth were fine points. Kind of like shark teeth.
Old 06-28-19, 09:09 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Your "granny gear" is worn, but as noted above, it should be fine with a new chain, it's not too bad yet. The other two look better.

And second the admonition to clean the drivetrain more often. Regular cleanings could easily double your drivetrain life (chain/cassette, rings don't wear as fast). Also, google the chain measurement method referenced above. Replace your chain before it is way whacked out, it'll save a lot of headaches.
Old 06-28-19, 09:17 AM
djb

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
This is a good thread, as I've wondered when my chain ring needs replacing too. I always thought the chain ring was worn when the teeth were fine points. Kind of like shark teeth.
the others who are working mechanics can explain better than me, but before you get to the "shark teeth" point, the space or dip between each tooth gets worn deeper and wider, so when you put a new chain on, this accelerates chain wear----now how much and how fast this happens, I dont think photos on the web of a chainring can show this.
I know that when a new chain is put on a bike, and you do that "pull chain away from chainring" test to see how much space shows, an experienced mechanic can eyeball it, but I dont have the expertise on this, and anyway, this is internet diagnostic, so only can do so much.

all I can say is that when a cassette is worn enough that skipping can happen with a brand new chain, my experience shows that the cassette can still look fine at a glance, ie no specific shark tooth going on

so we come back to being aware of monitoring chain wear, I use the "1/16 rule over a foot" thing, as my point of reference to change a chain. An old bike of mine went to a good 2/16ths after years of commuting and ignoring measuring, so needed a new cassette at that point.

or you do like friends of mine do, ignore chains, clean grindy paste off once a year to feel better, and dismiss the "change chain at 1/16th" rule as not needed, and ride their bikes on same chains forever, cuz they wear together and "dont skip", so they are content. (until they one day gripe because a bike store tells them they need a new chain, new cassette etc, but hey, you can lead a horse to water, but........)
Old 06-30-19, 06:35 PM
paramountx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
Your "granny gear" is worn, but as noted above, it should be fine with a new chain, it's not too bad yet. The other two look better.

And second the admonition to clean the drivetrain more often. Regular cleanings could easily double your drivetrain life (chain/cassette, rings don't wear as fast). Also, google the chain measurement method referenced above. Replace your chain before it is way whacked out, it'll save a lot of headaches.
😅 I've rarely used it. That's just the design. I think it's so old school they don't care to redesign it to "shift" better
Old 06-30-19, 08:12 PM
djb

Originally Posted by paramountx
😅 I've rarely used it. That's just the design. I think it's so old school they don't care to redesign it to "shift" better
granny gears are pretty basic, from my experience.
I had a 28t I took off a 7n spd bike in about 1990 to replace with a 24t, and stuck the 28 in a box where it sat for decades until my wife had a 9 spd bike with too high gearing. I changed her cassette to the largest I figured her rd could handle, and changed out the 30t granny with the old 28t, which had the same bolt pattern, and it shifted perfectly. The old 28 didnt have any ramps or pins, but as a granny, it worked fine.
I have also changed 30t granny gears on 9 spd bikes to flat, ordinary 26t chainrings, and even with sti shifters, they just plain work, shift fine and have no issues at all shifting wise with no fd futzing around at all.
Old 06-30-19, 08:13 PM
djb

ps, looking again at your copious amount of photos, your rings look fine.
Old 07-01-19, 05:18 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Middle one looks kinda tired.
Old 07-01-19, 07:08 AM
paramountx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
It does look worn a bit. How does it operate/shift?
It seems to shift ok. But my thinking is, like the cassette, if you wait till the shifting is bad, then that means probably your cassette is probably worn out. So I'm thinking let me see if this is worn to the point where it may accelerate a good chain to bad.