Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Speed limit signs on an MUP.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 09:53 PM
N_C
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why does such a thing even exist? First of all it is an MUP, which means it is not limited to just cyclists. Even if it was, not all cyclists have a computer & of those that do some are not very accurate. So why speed limit signs on an MUP?

On one of the MUP's in my area there is no posted limit. But there are 2 that say do not speed on trail. Again why? Unless someone has a speedometer to indicate how fast they are going & unless there is an indication of what is considered speeding why bother with these signs? Or signs with a numerical limit on them?

Is it to absolve all liability & responsibility from the Parks & Rec. Dept. who is responsible for the trails so they can not be sued? Or is it just a friendly suggestion to advise people if you feel out of control & like you're going to crash, regardless of your mode of transportation on the trail slow down so you don't have an accident? Or is it both?

Any other ideas why?

Discuss.
Old 07-06-06, 10:12 PM
twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I doubt that not having a cyclocomputer or other speed indicating device would be an adequate excuse if you were to hit someone. The limit is in place to remind you that it is a multi-use trail, and that you shouldn't be trying to use it for TT training when there may be a kid on a Big Wheel or a mother pushing a stroller that comes into the path at any time.

If the trail is reasonably well maintained, a victim of an accident isn't going to sue parks & rec, they are going to sue the moron that was doing 30 MPH on the MUP.

Now I feel silly, having answered a silly question.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 07-06-06, 10:18 PM
N_C
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When riding on the MUP's in this area I ride at a speed that conditions allow. There are MUP's that have a lot of curves & other blind areas so it is slow & easy on those in case there is someone around one of the curves. On the MUP that is flat with no obstructions where I can see miles ahead on it I ride as fast as I can knowing I can see ahead & respond accordingly if someone else is on the MUP.
Old 07-06-06, 11:37 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by N_C
Why does such a thing even exist? First of all it is an MUP, which means it is not limited to just cyclists. Even if it was, not all cyclists have a computer & of those that do some are not very accurate. So why speed limit signs on an MUP?
We don't have them on our MUPs but when I see some jerk who thinks they're in a Velodrome nearly mow down children, old people, and everything else in there path, I sometimes wish there were.

I think speed limits are for the people who don't seem to understand what "multi-use" means, though I have no idea how effective they really are.
Old 07-07-06, 12:27 AM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In my area, on the few MUP's there are, in areas where there's a lot of foot traffic they have signs reminding people to slow down, which is entirely sensible. But is there really such a thing as a speed limit sign, with a numerical limit, on MUP's? Like 15 mph? I agree, that's kind of silly.
Old 07-07-06, 12:38 AM
BroMax
The Other White Meat

Bikes: Raleigh Sports 3 speed, Torker T-530

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A "don't speed" sign, whether or not there is a posted speed limit, makes sense to me. The "basic speed law" requires that you don't go faster than conditions allow, i.e. traffic, road surface, visibility, condition of your bike, condition of the rider; or no faster than a prudent person in similar circumstances would go.

A car driver can get busted for speeding even when going 45mph in a posted 60mph zone, if she's driving through heavy fog in a hailstorm and creating a hazard for herself and everyone on the road around her.

It could be there is no posted speed limit on the MUP because a speed that would be reasonable at dawn on a Monday would be dangerous on a Sunday afternoon.
Old 07-07-06, 02:13 AM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
My MUP has posted speed limit signs of 15 mph, but they are not enforceable because bikes are only required to follow traffic laws on the roads and on paths that are exclusively reserved for bicycles (do those exist?). Since the M of MUP stands for "multi," the traffic laws don't apply.

The city's web site, by contrast, removed reference to numeric limits and just says to ride at a "safe speed." That makes more sense.

I think numeric limits are generally not that useful. On most of the path most of the time 20-25 mph is perfectly safe (especially at 6:30 on a cold weekday morning), but some times and some places, 10 mph would be way too fast.

If numeric limits are needed, they should be variable by location and time, just like on the streets. A set 15 mph limit for an entire system of paths makes as much sense as a set 25 mph limit for all roads. Speed limits are lower by schools and during school hours. They are higher other times and other places.

I find that the most important rules for cyclists on MUP's are:
  • Always maintain an assured clear distance in front of you that assumes the pedestrian you are about to pass will take two steps in the wrong direction at just the wrong time;
  • Use a bell to signal that you are going to pass. (This makes a HUGE difference for pedestrians. I often get thanked for ringing my bell before passing. And if your bike doesn't have a place for a bell, you have no business on an MUP);
  • Stay single file.

Last edited by Daily Commute; 07-07-06 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-07-06, 08:32 AM
slagjumper

Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I hit a kid or dog on leash going the speed limit or less, and I was not doing anything unreasonably irresponsible, am I off the hook for a lawsuit? Probably not. Still would have to defend myself in court. Too bad more people dont have insurance, then they would not have to sue to just to fix their broken bones.
Old 07-07-06, 09:06 AM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slagjumper
If I hit a kid or dog on leash going the speed limit or less, and I was not doing anything unreasonably irresponsible, am I off the hook for a lawsuit? Probably not. Still would have to defend myself in court. Too bad more people dont have insurance, then they would not have to sue to just to fix their broken bones.
Actually if you hit a dog leash you wont be the one defending your self the dogs owner will be. Every park around me has a 6 foot or shorter leash rule. this also does not allow for these fancy dog killer extenda leash leash deals with the 16 25 or even 30 foot leash in a handle.

They call them dog killers for a good reason many dogs have been killed when a inept owner who shops at walmart buys one and has it crossing a entire parking lot or road and a car catches the leash. Ive heard stories from various pet shops about dogs haveing their heads ripped off do to these leashes. One owner had her arm nearly ripped ff and her dog was killed.

This is why no reputable pet store will sell the things.

My bet is i you check your local park and mup rules they specifically state how long a dog leash may be do to the above.
Old 07-07-06, 09:11 AM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"Any other ideas why?

Discuss."

I couldnt begin to offer an opinion on the last paragraph of the
OP because my opinion of MUP's are that they are for amatuer,
part time recreationalists.....I cannot imagine why a bicycle
rider would want to mix it up with the people that are native to
them.
Old 07-07-06, 09:50 AM
N_C
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nova
Actually if you hit a dog leash you wont be the one defending your self the dogs owner will be. Every park around me has a 6 foot or shorter leash rule. this also does not allow for these fancy dog killer extenda leash leash deals with the 16 25 or even 30 foot leash in a handle.

They call them dog killers for a good reason many dogs have been killed when a inept owner who shops at walmart buys one and has it crossing a entire parking lot or road and a car catches the leash. Ive heard stories from various pet shops about dogs haveing their heads ripped off do to these leashes. One owner had her arm nearly ripped ff and her dog was killed.

My bet is i you check your local park and mup rules they specifically state how long a dog leash may be do to the above.

Does this mean you can not purchase one of the extended leashes in your area? Or you just can not have it extended out that far when walking your dog? I have one for my dog & love it. However when we are walking on the MUP I never have it out more then 6 to 8 feet. When walking on the sidewalks in my neighborhood I have it extended all the way out, but retract it when there it other traffic on the sidewalk, then let it back out. Even so I do not have it exended all the way out. If I did she could walk off the curb into the street, I have it just short enough to prevent that. My dog would rather I take her to the off leash dog park though. She loves it out there. She's made a lot of great friends since I have been taking her, so have I.
Old 07-07-06, 10:05 AM
cat4ever
Cat WTF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's the first negative thing I've ever read about these leashes. I have one for my dog. Never had any issues, but then again, I don't go toting him around in any parking lots. Maybe I'm just inept. Right.
Old 07-07-06, 10:18 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cat4ever
That's the first negative thing I've ever read about these leashes. I have one for my dog. Never had any issues, but then again, I don't go toting him around in any parking lots. Maybe I'm just inept. Right.
I believe it's another instance of blaming the tool for the stupidity of the person using it.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-07-06, 10:40 AM
BroMax
The Other White Meat

Bikes: Raleigh Sports 3 speed, Torker T-530

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cat4ever
It's the first I've heard of the dog being killed by the use of one of those leashes but I read a newspaper story some time back about people losing a finger from cheap leashes that have a very narrow strap when the dog suddenly lurches. Maybe snopes.com has something to say about it.
Old 07-07-06, 10:53 AM
Da Tinker
Can't ride enough!

Bikes: IFab Crown Jewel, Giant Defy, Hardtail MTB, Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
I believe it's another instance of blaming the tool for the stupidity of the person using it.
+1
Old 07-07-06, 11:03 AM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slagjumper
Whether you are liable for damages would depend on the exact circumstances of the incident. However, you can be held liable for damages even if you are riding within a posted speed limit.

Even if another person has insurance, you can be be held liable to pay for any damage you cause.
Old 07-07-06, 11:17 AM
patc
Dubito ergo sum.

Bikes: Bessie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have "Max 20km/hr" signs posted on the NCC pathways. While not legally enforceable (i.e. getting a ticket), they do serve as a disclaimer of liability on the part of the NCC. Basically, this means they consider the pathway safe to use up to 20kn/hr, if you go faster than that you are exceeding the design specs and, if you have an accident, would have a hard time nailing the NCC for damages.

Beyond that its pretty much just a suggestion.
Old 07-07-06, 01:54 PM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
+1

I think it depends on congestion. The MUP I ride to work, which is largely empty during the times I ride it, is mostly straight (rail trail) and I'd ignore speed limits, were it to have any. I ride a reasonable and prudent speed, slowing down when necessary, but otherwise going however fast my grotesquely overdeveloped legs will propel me.

I've seen some big city MUPS that I'd never think of riding on, much less going fast on.
Old 07-07-06, 02:09 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just on the comment on cycle computers being inaccurate, in general this is just not true.

If you use the table from Sheldon Brown's web page, your cycle computer is probably a lot MORE accrate than your car's speedometer!

Car speedometer's are required to be within 10% of actual speed, and you can't calibrate them easily if you change tires or anything, whereas on a cycle computer you can just enter a new calibration figure and you're just as accurate as before.

I know for a fact that the speedometer in my truck is off by about 20%!!!! It was calibrated for larger tires, but the guy I bought it from went cheap and put smaller tires on it, and didn't take it in to have it recalibrated.

I regularly pass roadies on the MUP I ride on who are going 20-25mph (or more!), tucked down, with aero bars. I certainly wouldn't feel safe riding in those areas at that speed!
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 07-07-06, 02:21 PM
Keith99

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Can you say urban legend?

I'll only point out the most obvious. The handles for these are part of the retractor housing. You can not put your hand through them like you can with a normal short leash. Thus you can only hold one of these, not loop it to lock your hand in. This means for the human involved the connection is limited to their griping strength. No way to lose an arm.

And just how do you define a reputable pet store? I've never seen any pet store that does not stock them.
Old 07-07-06, 02:28 PM
jimmuter
Urban Biker

Bikes: Trek 720 hybrid; 2007 Specialized Tricross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our MUP's simply state "Wheels Yield to Heels". I'm not sure what category roller bladers are in. I've had them pass me, but then again, I'm not very speedy.
Old 07-07-06, 03:42 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sure it's mainly for liability reasons, but here in Seattle some municipalities hand out tickets. No joke. Around Lake Forest park there have been plainclothes cops handing out tickets for running stop signs the city placed in front of private driveways.

In my opinion if you want to really haul you should not be riding on a MUP anyway though.
Old 07-07-06, 03:57 PM
Hawkear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are there so you can blow your horn at people going too slow in your direction or too fast towards you.
Old 07-07-06, 06:20 PM
remsav

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They should put those warning radar with the sign and maybe put a camera that activates when it goes over the limit to enforce the law on the MUP.
Old 07-07-06, 07:31 PM
silversmith
Yet another vegan biker

Bikes: Sakae Prism, Vintage Fuji bike(S), too many bikes, one from scratch bike.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Too bad more people dont have insurance, then they would not have to sue to just to fix their broken bones.
Too bad everyone doesn't have insurance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.