Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Poll: Do you think Floyd Landis Doped?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...
View Poll Results: Do you think Floyd Landis Doped?
Yes, I belive he took a banned substence or otherwise cheated
26.96%
No, the test is a false positive or his high level of testosterone was naturally occuring
73.04%
Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 02:30 PM
AtlAllez

Bikes: Specalized Allez Elite and Vintage Vitus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know that this issue isn't as black and white as a yes or a no but, I wanted to get the general consensus.
Old 07-27-06, 02:52 PM
user0ne

Bikes: specialized roubaix comp dbl Gerolsteiner

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no, I dont think he did. he knew he was going all out that day, as did everyone else, so to take something like testosterone for the one stage to get 1st and be tested, only to fail...
I just cant see it.

I think he says it better:

Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
WADA formerly had a standard for the T/E ratio for testosterone testing of 6:1. The average guy, on an average day, has a T/E ratio of around 1:1. But, among 1,000 guys, a few might have a T/E ratio of 4:1 and a rare guy might have a ratio of 5:1 or 6:1.

In 2005, WADA decided to lower the T/E standard from 6:1 to just 4:1, based on research showing that only a small percentage of men would violate the 4:1 ratio without some sort of artificial help.

Under the WADA standard, if the "A" sample exceeds the 4:1 ratio, then the "B" sample is tested. If the "B" sample also exceeds 4:1, the rider is asked to show the reason why. That reason could include that the rider's ratio was elevated by approved medication, or that the rider's own natural ratio sometime exceeds 4:1. If the rider does not provide an explanation for a ratio over 4:1, then he is deemed to have failed the test, and he is subject to discipline, and the results of the tests are made public.

In this case, the results of the Landis test was provided to the Times of London by someone "close" to the lab before the results were given to Landis and Landis allowed to respond. This is the same lab castigated recently for illegally giving confidential information about Lance Armstrong to the French press. When the lab got caught in the Armstrong case, they suspended an employee, and claimed the lab would clean up its act. Well, it looks like the lab needs a bigger broom.

Conspiracy? The Houston police lab was recently found to have been botching DNA tests that resulted in innocent men going to prison. It was just incompetence. But, amazingly, when the lab made an error, the error usually resulted in a "positive" for the exact same guy that the police had designated as the prime suspect. Given that there are over a million men in Houston, what were the odds of THAT happening? Naw...conspiracy theories are just silly...
Old 07-27-06, 02:59 PM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The polulation doesn't have all the data yet. Wait for B sample to confirm or further muddle the issue, else as things stand, everyone has to agree that he has doped!
Old 07-27-06, 03:03 PM
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist

Bikes: 2021 TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Not so black & white as a yes or no, but my short answer would be No...I don't think he cheated.

Is it possible, yes. But My ex wife worked in a very respected University Lab and they had tests have false positives, samples get compromised etc... several times a year despite stringent rules and safeguards that were "supposed" to be followed. So while it's possible he is guilty, I'm more inclined to say he's not and give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being.
Old 07-27-06, 03:12 PM
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- hmm... to me, it just doesn't make sense that a rider would dope knowing that testing would be inevitable...

- unless the $600K winnings and $2.5M bonus were incentive?

- still, this just doesn't seem like Landis from everything i've read about the guy...
Old 07-27-06, 04:01 PM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One has to be in a top athlete's specific situation, to decide what you would or would not do. Speculation, applying your current moral standard from your desk at work, or laptop at your favorite coffee shop does not work quite well. i.e. You need to be a politician in dire financial need, or not, to understand why a bribe may be acceptable, or not.
Old 07-27-06, 04:52 PM
skinnyone
Dude wheres my guads?

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No.. But in any event it stinketh...
Old 07-27-06, 04:58 PM
HDTVKSS
randomness inc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if the case is that he has such a high testosterone level naturally, then wouldnt he have tested positive throught the year? or at least been red flagged?

they may all cheat but this guy was stupid or greedy enough to get caught.
Old 07-27-06, 05:07 PM
LilSprocket
Wheee

Bikes: Schwinn Rocket 88 phase 1/ Surly 1x1/Cannondale R700 WSD 650c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really really hope the B sample is negative because if not, this is really really bad for the sport and will give unjustified cause for the cagers to dislike cyclists, the sport, Americans, green, yellow and anything else you can think of...

I'm not a competitive athlete, so I guess I just don't understand why anyone would train SO hard for SO long to risk getting caught cheating...Especially with all this heat around (and I'm not talking the weather here) Personally, I appreciate my own efforts making due with the talents I've been blessed with and enhanced only through hard work

Please B sample, restore my Faith
Old 07-27-06, 05:22 PM
blue_neon
Elite Rep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think he cheated. That would explain his 'miraculas comeback'.

LilSprocket - It wont cause anyone to dislike the sport or the cyclists, but it will cause the world to dislike Landis and in some circumstances, more dislike Americans .
Old 07-27-06, 09:19 PM
Demit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, it wouldnt explain his "miraculas comeback", testosterone isnt normaly considered to be able to helped in the short term like that .

If he did take testosterone it only raises more questions.

Im holding off until the b test and how far off he was from the 4 to 1. Im was really suprised to hear the ratio had to be so low, many people have 4 to 1 naturally, its probaly more common than his hip problem.
Old 07-27-06, 09:41 PM
TXCiclista

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Fenix SL, 2008 Trek 1500, 1998 Diamondback Apex

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The quote after his miraculous recovery (something like "I have no idea what happened") seems oddly suspicious now...

I just hope he doesn't pull a Tyler.

Interesting thought: How would this poll turn out if it was Lance's name...? Whose performance seems more likely drug-related: Lance's steady domination or Floyd's miraculous comeback? Just food for thought
Old 07-27-06, 09:42 PM
gabdy

Bikes: Trek, Giant, PoS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure if he doped or not, but as stated I do think it could explain his comeback. Lets hope not.
Whilst test isn't the best performance enhancing substance for endurance athletes, it does help the muscles recover much faster than normal. Some water based testosterone's do leave the body in a few hours so maybe he got the timing wrong.
Old 07-27-06, 10:15 PM
cam117

Bikes: Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The B Sample thing is a Red Herring. There has been so much made of it that if it does come back positive, then everyone is going to act like that is conclusive proof that he's a doper. If the guy just has high testosterone levels then we should expect that the second sample will test high as the first. I've read some mention of a follow-up endocrinological test. That seems like the data point that folks should wait for before making any pronouncements of guild or innocence.
Old 07-28-06, 12:00 AM
grinderbob
coffee bean grinder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Come on, every one knows the winner of every stage will be tested. If he did cheat, he and his doctor were too careless and dumb. wouldn't you agree? so I don't think he cheated.
Old 07-28-06, 01:40 AM
Starclimber
Blue Straggler

Bikes: Miele Pisasheeta, Airborne Thunderbolt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want the answer to be no, so that's how I voted. I was surprised to hear that his 'single beer' after the stage turned into 'whiskey in the bathroom' later, though. What next...sasparilla bottle? He just seems so much smarter than Ben Johnson...
Old 07-28-06, 02:29 AM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I'll wait for the second test to decide.
Old 07-28-06, 02:46 AM
Hitchy

Bikes: how long have you got?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've long ago given up believing in miracles....but man, that stage 17 ride, i wanted to believe, really I did......not cos I'm a Floyd fan ,(I'm definately not), but for cycling, I really, really wanted to believe that this ride was possible, to believe that anything is possible if you want it bad enough,but I didn't cos of all that has been before....I knew then. Floyd is a cheat...the 'B' sample will show the same results....then do we have to go thru the 'Tyler' scenario again?......maybe Floyd has a missing twin too.....
Old 07-28-06, 05:19 AM
domestique
Shut Up and Ride

Bikes: 05 Cannondale Six 13 (Record 2008 with DT rr 1.1 rims, WI H2 Hubs and CX-ray spokes), OLMO Antares (Micx of 06 Record and Chorus), 1988 Tunturri, 1980's Fuji, 1970's Crescent (Sweeden)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope he is cleared.... but the damage to his family and career is already done.

Stupide French media.... oh wait.... leaking of information? New York times does the same thing. My bad
Old 07-28-06, 07:05 AM
kubrickian
All Work And No Play...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think he cheated; I want so much to believe he did not cheat. To reiterate a statement already made, he and his people would know the winner of the stage and wearer of the yellow jersey would be tested so it seems idiotic to utilize a substance which would be detected in post-race testing.

Floyd had me yelling and jumping up and down during his breakaway the day after his collapse...

I will wait for further testing to pass judgment.

Why is his web site offline? He has a forum - which he can control - to shoot back at the allegations and he is not taking advantage of it...
Old 07-28-06, 07:14 AM
Crack'n'fail
Photog Extraordinaire

Bikes: Santa Cruz Chameleon, Cannondale R800 (CAAD4) with Dura-Ace upgrade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kubrickian

Why is his web site offline? He has a forum - which he can control - to shoot back at the allegations and he is not taking advantage of it...
It was being overwhelmed with hits, it was hit or miss if you could get onto it so they probably shut it down to avoid overwhelming the servers of whoever hosts his site.

Also, anyone and their brother could post comments on that site, it was probably getting flooded. You're only aloud so much bandwidth per month and then you have to pay extra, I imagine he was getting his months worth every hour.
Old 07-28-06, 07:32 AM
wrench_meister

Bikes: The only one I'll ever need...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crack'n'fail
It was being overwhelmed with hits, it was hit or miss if you could get onto it so they probably shut it down to avoid overwhelming the servers of whoever hosts his site.

Also, anyone and their brother could post comments on that site, it was probably getting flooded. You're only aloud so much bandwidth per month and then you have to pay extra, I imagine he was getting his months worth every hour.

Makes sense...

just want to see Floyd shaking his fist at everyone attesting his innocence...
Old 07-28-06, 08:11 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 367 Posts
Another Poll option: Do you think Landis, and cycling in general are gretting screwed by the public announcement before the B test results?
Old 07-28-06, 08:47 AM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, I belive its likely that he took a banned substence or otherwise cheated & I believe this test is a false positive or his high ratio of T/E was naturally occuring. {his testosterone level was low, so calling it a high level of testosterone is not correct}
Old 07-28-06, 08:48 AM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Another Poll option: Do you think Landis, and cycling in general are gretting screwed by the public announcement before the B test results?
yes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.