Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Official UK online retailer thread

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-15, 01:43 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

There are a lot of threads about various UK retailers and experiences with them (particularly ordering to the U.S.) so I figured I would start an "official" thread. I've placed about 10 orders from Ribble, Merlin and PBK combined. Most recently ordered a Ultegra 6800 group for $558.12 with free shipping on 8/11/2015 and arrived in my hands today 8/17/2015. 6 days from UK to Los Angeles with no issues with customs are extra fees. I have yet to have a truly bad experience. I had two minor issues: 1. PBK sent me wide version of shoes I ordered but they actually fit better. Merlin sent me a braze on FD when I swear I ordered band on. I think that was a glitch in the order but couldn't confirm that one so may have been user error. But so far I think this order sets the land speed record for door to door UK to CA order for me
Old 08-17-15, 04:10 PM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ordered my stuffs from PBK for years and never have any problem with them . I also ordered my bike from Mike at Maestro.co.uk years ago . No problem there either .
Old 08-17-15, 04:25 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4735 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Where did you order your 6800 groupset from? Also, as for customs fees, as I've read, sometimes the notices go out on these a couple weeks after the delivery has occurred, so you might be a bit premature in saying there are none.

I just ordered a campy chorus groupset from Ribble last night.. will let you know how this goes.
Old 08-17-15, 04:28 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I got a 6800 group set from Merlin for $600 with pedals. No fees. Recently ordered stuff from Chain Reaction and they shipped it DHL, a first, they always shipped By Royal Mail before. Hopefully I won't get screwed.
Old 08-17-15, 05:36 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Where did you order your 6800 groupset from? Also, as for customs fees, as I've read, sometimes the notices go out on these a couple weeks after the delivery has occurred, so you might be a bit premature in saying there are none.

I just ordered a campy chorus groupset from Ribble last night.. will let you know how this goes.
6800 was from Ribble. Sorry, didn't make that clear in my post
Old 08-17-15, 05:51 PM
stlcowboyfan

Bikes: 2014 Fuji SST 1.3 Frame set build

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
105 11 speed group from Merlin. $374 shipped. Payed Thursday, on my porch Monday.
Old 08-29-15, 06:13 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4735 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Campy Chorus groupset in from Ribble.. 1 week to deliver. Installed now, working well. No complaints.
One comment on the whole duties thing.. evidently, stuff shipped via Royal Mail, transfers to the USPS when it hits the USA. My package had a big orange sleeve affixed to the shipping carton with "DELIVERY AGENT PLEASE COLLECT DUTIES" or somesuch. The idea is that the USPS is supposed to open this sleeve, review the sheet of paper inside, collect the duties on delivery (approx. 6%), and then file the paperwork that was in this sleeve.

Surprising really to hear that the shippers who act and operate as quasi-government entities, seem to be the only ones who don't bother collecting governmental duties.
Old 09-02-15, 01:46 AM
J.Drop

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
I got a 6800 group set from Merlin for $600 with pedals. No fees. Recently ordered stuff from Chain Reaction and they shipped it DHL, a first, they always shipped By Royal Mail before. Hopefully I won't get screwed.
That sucks to hear. I been shopping exclusively at Chain Reaction and Ribbles for the last few years because they used Royal Mail. 15+ orders and not had to pay duties or taxes once.
Always reached my door step within 10 days and better customer service then any bike shop I visited here in Vancouver.

Last edited by J.Drop; 09-02-15 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-14-15, 09:01 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
So in a related situation, I needed to get a hold of a FD quickly, and ordered from a site promising delivery in 2-4 days. Yeah.... I'm in Texas and didn't realize it was in the UK. I think I was mixing up Chain Reaction Cycles and Competitive Cyclist in my head for some reason....

Anyway, I ordered it last night, had a tracking number in my email this Monday morning saying it would be here Wednesday. But it was DHL... so now I'm worried about getting a customs charge later.

I've ordered from Ribble not too long ago and got my shipment via USPS in about a week. It was a 105 crankset in OEM packaging. No issues with shipment and got what I needed cheaper than I could get it with my bike shop hookup.
Old 09-14-15, 09:15 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
So in a related situation, I needed to get a hold of a FD quickly, and ordered from a site promising delivery in 2-4 days. Yeah.... I'm in Texas and didn't realize it was in the UK. I think I was mixing up Chain Reaction Cycles and Competitive Cyclist in my head for some reason....

Anyway, I ordered it last night, had a tracking number in my email this Monday morning saying it would be here Wednesday. But it was DHL... so now I'm worried about getting a customs charge later.
For the record, I never got a customs charge for my order from CR that came DHL. On their website they state that orders that at below $200 should be exempt from duty charges. I'm guessing that your FD doesn't cost more than $200!
Old 09-16-15, 07:12 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
While we're attempting to create a "comprehensive" thread here, can anyone share their experience with DHL shipments? I'm having very little faith and thinking I should have paid the extra 5 bucks for FedEx.

How about leaving a note with a signature on the door in case you aren't home? The FAQ on their website said all international orders were signature required, but that a signed note should suffice for a one time authorization. But a quick google search tells me some DHL couriers just don't give a crap and will leave whatever wherever.
Old 09-17-15, 02:53 AM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i ordered an Ultegra 6800 wheelset and Ritchey stem and bars for a bike build last year from Merlin, and i paid shipping because i needed the parts here quick and i saved so much on the parts that it didn't bother me to pay shipping and have the ability to track it, and i literally had everything in my hands in 2 days. i ordered the parts on a Wednesday afternoon and they were literally at my front door Friday morning. a few weeks later i was looking for a 2014 Sidi shoe that was no longer available anywhere in the US other than ebay, and ebay didn't have my size, so i ordered them through Bike 24. it took about 10 days to get them, but it didn't really bother me cause i saved about $150 off of retail in the states, and it was the only place i could find them. i've ordered jerseys from Wiggle, and they've always taken no more than 5 days to receive. all in all, i started ordering outside of the states last year and never once had a bad incident, and have never once paid any type of customs fees...

as far as DHL goes, out of everything i've ever ordered, the DHL deliveries have always taken the longest to get to my house. depending what you order and where you order it from though, sometimes you have no choice...
Old 09-17-15, 04:56 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Waiting for my small order ($34) from Chain reaction. Ordered on the 9/14. Received notice of pending delivery on the 16th, but tracking showed goods were still enroute from England. Probably flown over last night. I will let you know when they are in hand.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-24-15, 05:15 PM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Ordered 2 cassettes from Ribble. Ordered 9/15, shipped 9/17, still waiting (NJ). Free shipping so no tracking. Hmmm......
Old 11-09-15, 04:35 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3144 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 1,032 Posts
Well, Wiggle just blew my mind with a DHL-shipped, Campagnolo Athena 11spd alloy groupset which was ordered on Thursday night, and at my house before 5pm the following Monday. Damn, that's fast. No signature required. No indications on box of customs involvement; detail invoice, in duplicate and in GBP, was in unopened pouch on the box, and since that's what would have been needed to show value for customs declaration, I'm not expecting a bill in the future.

This was my first buy from a UK retailer, and I'm very impressed with the overall experience from Wiggle. It may be worth noting that while the Athena groupset was as-ordered, new, and complete (incl. documentation), it was not in retail boxing, but rather the pieces were tightly bubble wrapped. Collectors beware, I guess!
Old 11-15-15, 08:33 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

So, I put in a PBK frameset order on Thur 11/5. I don't recall being given any shipping options, but Igot something with tracking, apparently, because while I got an order confirmation email the dayof the order, I also received an Order Despatched email w/ tracking number 5 days later on the 10th. I don't reember when the link provided gave its first status update, but it was something along the lines of "set to be picked." Today is 5 days subsequent to that, so 10 days after ordering, and status says its in USA waiting to clear customs.

I'm hoping it's clear and out for delivery Monday, but we'll see. I'll be very disappointed if it's not here this week, within 15 days of ordering.

Not an impressive showing for PBK here, but not a clusterf**k...yet.
Old 11-15-15, 08:44 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I ordered something from Merlin. Nov 11 I got a shipping confirmation and tracking. Today the status still shows as 'Shipping information received', not even in transit yet. I really hope to get my items next week, but we'll see.
Old 11-15-15, 08:49 PM
Robius

Bikes: Felt AR2 Di2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
I like merlin most because it has the fastest tracked shipping.

Evans also has great prices but cheapest shipping option is not tracked.
Old 11-16-15, 03:19 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
So, I put in a PBK frameset order on Thur 11/5. I don't recall being given any shipping options, but Igot something with tracking, apparently, because while I got an order confirmation email the dayof the order, I also received an Order Despatched email w/ tracking number 5 days later on the 10th. I don't reember when the link provided gave its first status update, but it was something along the lines of "set to be picked." Today is 5 days subsequent to that, so 10 days after ordering, and status says its in USA waiting to clear customs.

I'm hoping it's clear and out for delivery Monday, but we'll see. I'll be very disappointed if it's not here this week, within 15 days of ordering.

Kinesis Aithein?
Old 11-16-15, 04:23 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by rms13
Kinesis Aithein?
Kinesis Racelight 4S!

I needed something racy which could support big tires under fender for spring/winter/dirt road rides. I use my Lemond for that now, but I can only fit 23s...under Crud MkIIs.

Pretty pumped to get it built up; all the parts are here, waiting...
Old 11-16-15, 05:06 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
I ordered an Ultegra groupset from Ribble, which they shipped through Parcel Force (a company that looks like it was spawned from the UK Post). I ordered on a Thursday, it shipped on a Friday, and a tracking number showed on my account, though it wasn't emailed to me in my 'shipped' note.

Package was delivered by USPS on Wednesday (signature required) after spending a couple of days clearing customs. There was a customs form attached instructing the delivery person to collect $50 from me, which she didn't mention when she left the goods. We'll see if I get a bill at some point.
Old 11-16-15, 09:06 PM
allen254

Bikes: Fuji roubaix 1.1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ordered mainly from merlin cycles they are good with shipping real fast, my most recent purchase was from merlin cycles, i got an ultegra 6800 crank set, 6700 cassette, muc off chain lube team sky, and some new tires all for $290 including $17.00 faster shipping service, i placed the order on thursday 5th and it was here on monday morning on the 9th. no duties payed or problems with customs.
Old 11-17-15, 07:31 AM
PepeM

Originally Posted by PepeM
I ordered something from Merlin. Nov 11 I got a shipping confirmation and tracking. Today the status still shows as 'Shipping information received', not even in transit yet. I really hope to get my items next week, but we'll see.
Still not in transit apparently. I hope it's just the tracking not working.
Old 11-19-15, 07:03 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by chaadster

Probikekit's tracking through PostNL has shown my package as "in USA customs awaiting clearance" for 5 days now. Ugh.
Old 11-19-15, 07:47 PM
PepeM

Mine has been that way for two days. I want my stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.