Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Looking for a new group ride in/near Alexandria VA

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 04-09-17, 02:29 AM
stealthfixr

Bikes: Pinarello Rokh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The US Air Force decided that I needed to live in the DC area next and I am looking for a new group to ride with. A couple of assignments ago, I was in Hawaii and really enjoyed the Hawaii Bicycling League rides, usually doing a 30 or 50 mile ride every Saturday from Waikiki Park. Not racing, just fun riding with a purpose. I tend to average 18mph in the flats on a Pinarello Rokh.

I've done some searching for a new group ride and the problem is too many choices. Is there a casual group ride in the area, every weekend for about 30+ miles, of fellow bike enthusiasts that you all would recommend? If it matters, my age is north of 40 years old but not quite to the big 50 yet. Thank you for any and all advice!
Old 04-09-17, 11:43 PM
stealthfixr

Bikes: Pinarello Rokh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bump
Old 04-09-17, 11:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
DC has a tremendous cycling community, and as you've seen, there are too many choices. Best bet is do some research, then check around when you arrive.

There's a nice small shop in Arlington run by a bicycling enthusiast (even after many years in the biz) called Papillon Cycles. Bailey is the owner, and I'm sure he can give you plenty of pointers, and something of a who's who, what's what in the area. Feel free to tell him that Francis from Chain-L sent you and you'll get VIP treatment.

You can try calling him before you head out, but do it soon because once the season breaks he won't have much time to give you on the phone.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-10-17, 08:13 AM
birru

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2007 Pinarello Galileo 105, 2014 Raleigh Cadent 2, 2017 Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
DC has a tremendous cycling community, and as you've seen, there are too many choices. Best bet is do some research, then check around when you arrive.

There's a nice small shop in Arlington run by a bicycling enthusiast (even after many years in the biz) called Papillon Cycles. Bailey is the owner, and I'm sure he can give you plenty of pointers, and something of a who's who, what's what in the area. Feel free to tell him that Francis from Chain-L sent you and you'll get VIP treatment.

You can try calling him before you head out, but do it soon because once the season breaks he won't have much time to give you on the phone.
I'm making a note to check out Papillon as well. Thanks for the heads up. Yes, the community in DC is pretty great. As mentioned in another thread, Washington Area Bike Forum is a useful resource. Those nutters also run a contest every winter called Freezing Saddles to encourage people to keep riding through cold weather. They often post events on the calendar at https://freezingsaddles.com.
Old 04-28-17, 02:34 PM
rocks in head 
...addicted...

Bikes: 1985 Alpine, 2007 IRO Rob Roy, 1985 Ross Mt. Whitney, 1991 Diamondback Master TG

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Bicycle Space and Bike Rack are two stores in DC that I'm familiar with, and they do weekly rides. I've particularly enjoyed the Hills of Anacostia ride that Bicycle Space does, with riding to/from the start it's easily a 30-ish mile ride. Anyone can show up and it's no-drop. Bike Rack does both paceline rides and more casual no-drops that are still pretty challenging.