Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

First real cycling injury

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-17, 12:50 PM
CanoeU92

Bikes: Salsa Vaya2, Raleigh Merit 3, Trek Antelope 800, Schwinn World Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Went on an organized rode with my girlfriend this weekend, and at one point four miles in, she came to a sudden stop and was not able to unclip fast enough... falling over and into me (while I was still moving). I ate pavement too. The good news is that I was able to finish my ride with minimal discomfort (another 34 miles post "crash"). The bad news is that I have at least one cracked rib and a front tire that needed to be trued post fall. At least I have a valid excuse for not riding today.
Old 06-14-17, 01:14 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Stuff happens. In the interest of safety, I try to be predictable and now you can see why. Now you both have experience to bring into play for your subsequent rides.
Old 06-14-17, 01:20 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Broke my rib in a 1/4mph fall a bit over a month ago. It's no fun, and for a few weeks I could honestly say "it only hurts when I laugh".

It'll pass and you'll be fine soon enough, though you might have to be careful which side you sleep on for a while.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-14-17, 01:39 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Now you need a new bike! You can come up with some rationalization later.
Old 06-14-17, 03:36 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Youch! I fell and busted up some ribs back in February. Took weeks to completely heal. I kept riding, every other day, but it wasn't comfortable. I just knew I'd end up with pneumonia from inactivity if I didn't ride. So I switched to my upright comfort hybrid for a few weeks until I could handle the more efficient bike again.

Worst part was rolling over in bed or trying to sit up. That was much more painful than riding the upright bike. Helps if you have a headboard to grab. And some extra pillows to prop yourself in the one comfortable position while sleeping. I'd tuck a long pillow between my knees, another in the small of my back, etc. Helps.
Old 06-14-17, 05:49 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
I bruised some ribs in a mountain bike crash last summer.

I found for my first couple of weeks, I needed to pay attention to not getting my heart rate up to much. If I started breathing hard, it caused my ribs to become unhappy in a hurry.
Old 06-14-17, 06:23 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Well, that's unfortunate. Take it easy and heal up quick.
Old 06-14-17, 06:32 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Sneezing, coughing and laughing won't feel the same for a while
Old 06-14-17, 06:56 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Remember to breathe deep a couple times an hour, as your therapist/doctor should tell you. You're not going to want to, but you need to. I piled a MTB into a tree at around 25MPH, while I didn't break any ribs I bruised about four of them. Didn't heed that advice, and wound up back in the hospital a week later with a nasty respiratory infection.
Old 06-14-17, 10:07 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2024 Trek Domane SL5, 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CanoeU92
Went on an organized rode with my girlfriend this weekend, and at one point four miles in, she came to a sudden stop and was not able to unclip fast enough... falling over and into me (while I was still moving). I ate pavement too. The good news is that I was able to finish my ride with minimal discomfort (another 34 miles post "crash"). The bad news is that I have at least one cracked rib and a front tire that needed to be trued post fall. At least I have a valid excuse for not riding today.
Never mind your ribs. Post pictures. Of your girlfriend.
Old 06-14-17, 10:49 PM
Boydsta

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Its all part of the fun. back on the bike
Old 06-15-17, 07:51 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Sounds like this was an unlucky one - next time, you might be at full speed, do something really stupid, wipe out all over the place and get up without a scratch.

You never know...
Old 06-15-17, 08:10 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexanderLS
Two things I never want to try.
1. Clipless peddles.
2. Group rides.

These two things seem to be the two most dangerous things a cyclist can easily avoid. Everybody seems to say that they failed to unclip at least once. Then there are those horror stories of damaged ankles(requiring rehab) due to failure to unclip. Group rides are where those large pileups happen.
Nah ... I speak from experience here ... the real hazard is the girlfriend.
Old 06-15-17, 08:51 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
First, let me get this out of the way: Poor baby!

Now, suck it up, ya wuss! Yea, stuff hurts. Life sometimes sucks. Stuff happens. Quit whining!

I've crashed into cars, been run over by a pedestrian (yes, really), crashed and burned after jumping a water check with about 4 feet of air, crashed on ice more times than I can remember, broken ribs on the first day of a mountain bike tour when I tripped over a rock and still had to climb up and over two 11,000 foot passes and sleep two nights on the ground...that's uncomfortable!...as well as about a thousand more that are spectacular but minor. But I just keep riding.

Crashes...and the scars that go with them...are just badges of honor. Think of scars as tattoos with better stories.

And who doesn't love a good oozy scab to pick?

1. Clipless peddles.
2. Group rides.

These two things seem to be the two most dangerous things a cyclist can easily avoid. Everybody seems to say that they failed to unclip at least once. Then there are those horror stories of damaged ankles(requiring rehab) due to failure to unclip. Group rides are where those large pileups happen.
Maybe "group rides" in races are where large pileups happen but you seldom see them on social or even charity rides. People simply aren't that tightly packed.

As for damaged ankles from being unable to unclip, I've never heard of anyone having that problem. On the other hand, people putting out their feet to "catch themselves" with platform pedals can result in very bad breaks. As a rule, I ride my bike down when it goes over and keep everything inside the vehicle. Hips, thighs and shoulders can take a bit more abuse without breaking then legs and arms can.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 06-15-17 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-15-17, 09:08 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
It's suddenly very cold in here.

-Tim-
Old 06-15-17, 09:14 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Nah ... I speak from experience here ... the real hazard is the girlfriend.
My error ,.... cyccommute is the Real danger ...
Old 06-15-17, 09:23 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
just googled tailgater karma ... ;-) get well soon
Old 06-15-17, 03:00 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
My error ,.... cyccommute is the Real danger ...
Never taken anyone else down with me. Oh, wait, there was that one time

But when someone yells "Snake!", I'd expect the person in front to come to a stop to take pictures. It's not everyday that we see 6 foot long black snakes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-15-17, 05:35 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Remember to breathe deep a couple times an hour, as your therapist/doctor should tell you.
Good advice. This would be a good opportunity to practice your belly breathing.
Old 06-21-17, 07:20 PM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Last year on a pre dawn ride I clothes lined myself on a low hanging vine on a section of sidewalk the city has neglected to clear. I actually didn't even come off my bike and was totally fine. It just seriously looked like I tried to hang myself which was real awkward for a few days. They cleared the sidewalk after several complaints and now I mosty avoid the sidewalks. I didn't even consider that a major accident. My first and only major accident was a few weeks ago. I don't even know what the hell happened but I ended up eating the sidewalk and skidding a couple of feet. Unfortunately my hand was under me and my fingers were pointing in weird directions when I got up. The cast comes off soon so im scrolling through pages looking for tips on getting back in the saddle.
Old 06-22-17, 07:09 AM
BKE

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The bad news is that I have at least one cracked rib and a front tire that needed to be trued post fall. At least I have a valid excuse for not riding today.
That's why the N+1 rule. If you had succumbed before this there'd be no excuse .
Old 06-22-17, 07:17 AM
BKE

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Never taken anyone else down with me. Oh, wait, there was that one time

But when someone yells "Snake!", I'd expect the person in front to come to a stop to take pictures. It's not everyday that we see 6 foot long black snakes.
Thanks for the pic. I thought the guy living out back by my outbuilding/garage was "just" a black snake but his markings have kept me wondering. I feel better now!
Old 06-22-17, 06:38 PM
Runner13.1

Bikes: Cinelli Zydeco, Cervelo P3, Specialized Allez Sprint

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Broke my collar bone into three pieces on Father's Day. I was training for Ironman Ohio on my Cervelo P3. Hit some deep gravel. Never stood a chance. Had to ride 20 miles home with a broken collar bone. That wasn't a lot of fun.
Old 06-23-17, 09:38 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
1. Clipless peddles.
2. Group rides.

Clipless pedals are no less safe than clips and straps. I suffered a few falls from not unclipping correctly, but people fall off bicycles, just like they fall off horses, ladders, stairs, or high-healed shoes. It's been years since I last fell while trying to unclip my foot from a pedal, but I have managed to fall over my dog a few times, slip on my daughter's toys, and take a tumble down my stairs. You are more likely to break your wrist when you fail to unclip, when you catch yourself at the end of a fall (I know this from experience). I have never seen or heard of someone hurting their ankle from failing unclip their foot.

As for group rides, they are a blast. You "Lone Wolf McQuaid" types don't know what you are missing riding all by your lonesomes. Riding in a group eats up the miles quickly, you can make friends (I met a wonderful young lady who became my girlfriend on a group ride), and if you are a competitive rider, you will not get a better workout, or improve your fitness better when riding with a fast group.

Riding bicycles is an inherently dangerous activity. I have ridden in an ambulance two times in my life, both as the result of bike accidents (both times I was hit by cars). I have broken my collarbone, cracked a shoulder, cut open my leg on a chainring, and cut open my shoulder when crashing in a fast sprint. But I still ride.

Staying at home and sitting on the sofa is more dangerous than broken bones, road rash, and a few stitches now and then.
Old 06-23-17, 09:49 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Sangetsu
Clipless pedals are no less safe than clips and straps. I suffered a few falls from not unclipping correctly, but people fall off bicycles, just like they fall off horses, ladders, stairs, or high-healed shoes. It's been years since I last fell while trying to unclip my foot from a pedal, but I have managed to fall over my dog a few times, slip on my daughter's toys, and take a tumble down my stairs. You are more likely to break your wrist when you fail to unclip, when you catch yourself at the end of a fall (I know this from experience). I have never seen or heard of someone hurting their ankle from failing unclip their foot.

As for group rides, they are a blast. You "Lone Wolf McQuaid" types don't know what you are missing riding all by your lonesomes. Riding in a group eats up the miles quickly, you can make friends (I met a wonderful young lady who became my girlfriend on a group ride), and if you are a competitive rider, you will not get a better workout, or improve your fitness better when riding with a fast group.

Riding bicycles is an inherently dangerous activity. I have ridden in an ambulance two times in my life, both as the result of bike accidents (both times I was hit by cars). I have broken my collarbone, cracked a shoulder, cut open my leg on a chainring, and cut open my shoulder when crashing in a fast sprint. But I still ride.

Staying at home and sitting on the sofa is more dangerous than broken bones, road rash, and a few stitches now and then.
I'm pretty sure my calcaneus fractured when a car struck my heel from the side, and the pedals didn't release quickly enough.

But I still ride clipless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.