Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

I love ice cold beer

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

I love ice cold beer

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-18, 09:28 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4423 Post(s)
Liked 4,527 Times in 3,029 Posts
I love ice cold beer

I’m not condoning alcohol abuse or trying to offend anybody but I love ice cold beer. After a hard ride or work or both it just hits the spot. And if it tastes good and is enjoyable of course it is bad for you just isn’t fair so in moderation I don’t feel so guilty.
Old 04-08-18, 09:52 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
People keep saying that and I keep trying it (every couple of years) to like it. Its just as yucky today as it was when I first tasted it way back when.
Old 04-08-18, 09:58 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Originally Posted by KraneXL
People keep saying that and I keep trying it (every couple of years) to like it. Its just as yucky today as it was when I first tasted it way back when.
I hear ya. For years I hated coffee tried it several times and still didn’t like then around age 25 I started drinking coffee. I used to hate tomatoes and peas now I love them.
Old 04-08-18, 11:26 PM
gregf83 

Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
There’s nothing that tastes better than cold beer after a game of ice hockey. I don’t know if it’s the dehydration or what but something about a post game beer is special. I don’t drink beer immediately after Cycling very often as I normally start in the morning and don’t feel like drinking early afternoon.
Old 04-09-18, 01:29 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Beer isn't bad in moderation, like most things. Unpasteurized beers may offer some useful nutrients in the yeast. The modest alcohol content seems to boost my energy after a ride without the blood sugar rush/bonk of sweet stuff. And the combination of mild alcoholic content and hops may boost some natural pain relieving chemistry (including GABA) that sure seems to quickly relieve my aching neck and joints.

Soon as I got home from a hard 45 mile ride Sunday, first thing I did was put an ice pack on my aching neck, swigged a cup of ice cold coffee mixed with whey protein/BCAAs/creatine that I'd mixed earlier, then had an ice cold beer (Winter Stern lager, first time I've tried it, not bad) with a corned beef and Swiss cheese sandwich, homemade pinto beans, potato salad and a pickle. Perfect. I usually take an hour or longer to finish a single beer so it's rare for me to drink as many as three in a single day. Seems about the right pace for me.

The trick is to be home and relaxed, because after a beer I'm not in the mood to do anything more energetic than a stroll around the block to digest.
Old 04-09-18, 06:49 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I don't understand the obsession with beer as a substance, or for some, a way of life.

Beer always tasted foul to me and there are simply much better ways to get carbs/calories.

There are guys who customize rooms in their home and build elaborate rituals around storing and smoking cigars. Others treat their grills as altars where they consume center cut beef daily. The glorification of beer and the pervasive beer culture in the west seems similarly misplaced.

-Tim-
Old 04-09-18, 07:46 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
I drank my first beer on my 26th birthday. I weighed 145 and was working out like a maniac. The first beer and the 5 that followed didn't faze me at all and worst than that was the taste! I had to drink it like taking bad tasting medicine. A few years later by pure peer pressure (from my sons) I drank one beer and it got me drunk! Of course I wasn't working out at all except for some stretching.
I was drinking almost every day when I was playing in our band full time for a living. Now I'll drink some beer about once a month, when I play with my two sons in our band.
The thing is beer isn't good or bad it just IS. The beer still doesn't taste that great unless it's ice cold and I'm really hot. BUT I have the feeling if beer tasted like Dr. Pepper I'd be an alcoholic.
Old 04-09-18, 08:07 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I enjoy the occasional beer, generally well chilled, but some have more flavor around 40 degrees or so. One in particular that I like is Dragon's Milk, dark and aged in previously used whiskey casks. Yum, but high alcohol content around 11+%.
Old 04-09-18, 08:37 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
... not a huge fan, but on a hot summer day, at the beach, going up to the cliffside bar & getting one poured out into a glass or big cup, it goes down real easy
Old 04-09-18, 10:17 AM
dcwldct

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
There’s nothing that tastes better than cold beer after a game of ice hockey. I don’t know if it’s the dehydration or what but something about a post game beer is special. I don’t drink beer immediately after Cycling very often as I normally start in the morning and don’t feel like drinking early afternoon.
The rink where I play actually gives a free pitcher of Labatt to the winning team. That's what we are really playing for

I do a couple of the local breweries' group rides every now and then and will usually have a pint after those, but I tend to follow my normal rides with just water/gatorade.
Old 04-09-18, 10:34 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Beer always tasted foul to me and there are simply much better ways to get carbs/calories.
Out here, they say they've invented a cookie that makes people hungrier.
Old 04-09-18, 11:35 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
You shouldn't consume good beer when it's ice cold; it dampens the flavor. Ice cold is for crappy beer.
Old 04-09-18, 12:08 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Originally Posted by WhyFi
You shouldn't consume good beer when it's ice cold; it dampens the flavor. Ice cold is for crappy beer.
That is why Keystone Light or more notoriously Lonestar beer must be very cold.
Old 04-09-18, 03:06 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
If it's a good, cold lager....I'm all in. After a ride though it's water first.
Old 04-09-18, 04:14 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I don't understand the obsession with beer as a substance, or for some, a way of life.

There are guys who customize rooms in their home and build elaborate rituals around storing and smoking cigars. Others treat their grills as altars where they consume center cut beef daily. The glorification of beer and the pervasive beer culture in the west seems similarly misplaced.

-Tim-
....such as whiskey?

Nothing beats a beer handup during a race
Old 04-09-18, 04:28 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I'll have a beer occasionally...My favourites are dark strong tasting ales. I love Guinness.
Old 04-09-18, 04:40 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I'll have a beer occasionally...My favourites are dark strong tasting ales. I love Guinness.
Doesn't compute
Old 04-09-18, 06:34 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
A good lager that is only a few degrees away from freezing, is just awesome.

But I am not a fan of only moderately cold beer.
Old 04-11-18, 03:38 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
While I was an EM in the Army and posted to Germany, we changed EM club managers. The new manager noticed that all the beer in the club was German. He was real patriotic and thought we should be drinking American beer, so he ordered about 20 cases of various well-advertised brands. No one drank it. Finally, he put in in a pile in the middle of the EM club floor with a FREE sign on it. I tried one then and found that it tasted like what I imagined horse urine might taste like. I poured it out. I don't know what eventually happened to all those cases.

So I'm just saying that there's beer that tastes good, and beer that doesn't, and a whole lotta people who don't know the difference because they've never had the good stuff. And no, you can't buy it in America, except for Trumer Pils on tap. Worth looking for.

Real cold is for the bad stuff. If it's cold, you can't really taste it. That's the reason that cold beer is so popular in America.

Edit: The story of how Pilsner beer came to be is a case in point. Back in the early 1800s the people of Plzen, now in the Czech Republic, got sick of drinking crappy beer. The inhabitants of Plzen picked up their axes and sledges and went down to the brewery, where they broke open and poured into the river all the beer in the brewery. The brewery owners, after some thought, hired a Bavarian brewer to brew them a new kind of beer. And in 1842 Plzenske Prazdroj was created. Hence what is known here as Pilsner (or Pilsener) beer.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 04-11-18 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-11-18, 07:54 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
Coor's NA beer for me.

No concerns about dehydration from alcohol, good on MY taste buds, pour into a mug from the freezer an a bit of ice forms and ......
Old 04-12-18, 02:36 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
While I was an EM in the Army and posted to Germany, we changed EM club managers. The new manager noticed that all the beer in the club was German. He was real patriotic and thought we should be drinking American beer, so he ordered about 20 cases of various well-advertised brands. No one drank it. Finally, he put in in a pile in the middle of the EM club floor with a FREE sign on it. I tried one then and found that it tasted like what I imagined horse urine might taste like. I poured it out. I don't know what eventually happened to all those cases.

So I'm just saying that there's beer that tastes good, and beer that doesn't, and a whole lotta people who don't know the difference because they've never had the good stuff. And no, you can't buy it in America, except for Trumer Pils on tap. Worth looking for.

Real cold is for the bad stuff. If it's cold, you can't really taste it. That's the reason that cold beer is so popular in America.

Edit: The story of how Pilsner beer came to be is a case in point. Back in the early 1800s the people of Plzen, now in the Czech Republic, got sick of drinking crappy beer. The inhabitants of Plzen picked up their axes and sledges and went down to the brewery, where they broke open and poured into the river all the beer in the brewery. The brewery owners, after some thought, hired a Bavarian brewer to brew them a new kind of beer. And in 1842 Plzenske Prazdroj was created. Hence what is known here as Pilsner (or Pilsener) beer.
The beverage of the common man. But there is no accounting for taste. Which is why there are so many varieties of beer and why they vary from region to region. The Germans prefer lagers, the British like ales. Bush was the last of the American beer companies to sell out. Alas, there are no more. I remember that from the history channel.
Old 04-12-18, 11:21 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
I enjoy stouts and porters, they taste better to me at room temperature. I'll probably drink 1-2 per month, so it's not like I drink a lot. Dark beers have a lot more empty calories than the lighter ones, but at the rate I drink it's worth it to me. Light beers are just not worth it to me, I'd rather have a glass of water.
Old 04-12-18, 12:20 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I’m not condoning alcohol abuse or trying to offend anybody but I love ice cold beer. After a hard ride or work or both it just hits the spot. And if it tastes good and is enjoyable of course it is bad for you just isn’t fair so in moderation I don’t feel so guilty.
I don't think you need to be so apologetic sounding. Nothing wrong with enjoying yourself a bit.
Old 04-12-18, 12:25 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts

-Tim-
As opposed to people who build rooms for maintaining and displaying their unnecessarily large collection of massively overpriced bikes?
Old 04-14-18, 03:41 PM
KraneXL

Speaking of beer, does anyone notice an inherent conflict with this beer ad? Hint: It has to do with truth in advertising.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.