Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Best tire width (and tire) for true mostly-paved "allroad" centuries?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Best tire width (and tire) for true mostly-paved "allroad" centuries?

Old 06-25-19, 01:41 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
so if the argument was 36 strada bianca 36 TLR vs Panaracer Gravel king slicks 38

Old 06-25-19, 05:32 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
This weekend, I will be riding a century through an area that (I suspect) will include some smooth pavement, some rough chipseal, a little insanely rough crater-pavement, and some light gravel. I'm accustomed to either doing gravel races or doing centuries on smooth pavement, but I've never done a road century that I knew would have substantial amounts of sketchy surface. I've got my "allroad" tires ready, but I thought I would ask what the forum thinks is the ideal tire width (and tire) for this kind of century. For reference, I'm thinking of running 36mm Challenge Strada Bianca TLR's. But . . . I've also got a set of 25mm Conti 4000SII's (that measure 28mm) if I change my mind.

What do you think? What tire would you use?
You are basically describing the mix that I ride all the time. A mix of pavement, chip-seal, really crappy pavement, and gravel.

38mm Barlow Pass. I never wish I was on a different tire on any surface short of mud.

I was also pretty happy with the 35mm Bon Jon Pass tires I had before this, and they are quite a bit lighter.
Old 06-25-19, 06:13 PM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Lava
I haven't had a problem with the GK slicks in wet weather-they seem grippy enough riding them on pavement in the rain. At least, I haven't felt much slippage through normal riding scenarios.

I commuted through winter on a singlespeed with narrow GK slicks, which was what sold me on getting a wider pair for the Topstone for road riding.
I guess I should have been a little more specific. They are great on wet tarmac & wet gravel. Wet dirt (mud) & wet grass are another story.
Old 06-26-19, 05:27 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
You are basically describing the mix that I ride all the time. A mix of pavement, chip-seal, really crappy pavement, and gravel.

38mm Barlow Pass. I never wish I was on a different tire on any surface short of mud.

I was also pretty happy with the 35mm Bon Jon Pass tires I had before this, and they are quite a bit lighter.
I've just installed some extralight Bon Jon on a wheelset. Would like to try the 38mm also sometime, but might initially go with the 36mm Strada Bianca seeing they should expand to 39mm. Save some money option.
Old 06-26-19, 05:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I'm gonna stick with Continental Speed Rides. Been happy with 'em for two years in mixed terrain/condition riding, no reason to change. It's more like a balloon tire with a little tread. Cheap too, only around $20-$25 each, wire or folding bead. Got my first set, a pair for half price on special. Made me a believer.

One size only, nominally 700x42 but measure closer to 700x38. Fast and smooth on pavement, comfy on chipseal with the right pressure (I weigh 150, usually keep 'em around 45-50 psi front, 50-60 rear, lower for gravel). Competent on gravel -- as competent as I am, which is oh-kay. Fine for dry grass, not for mud or rain-slick grass.

Durable too. The diamond/file pattern main tread feels soft, like it would wear prematurely, but nope... it's been good for a few thousand miles since autumn 2016. Reasonable flat protection without feeling sluggish.

I keep trying other comparable tires but always go back to the Speed Rides.
Old 06-26-19, 07:44 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
A 37mm tire is the exact perfect size. Sorry, your tire choice is 1mm too narrow and you will suffer as a result.
At some point, my 36mm Strada Biancas were perfect . . . but no more. Now, they measure 38.49mm. Too wide.
Old 06-26-19, 07:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
At some point, my 36mm Strada Biancas were perfect . . . but no more. Now, they measure 38.49mm. Too wide.
Oh no- now 1.5mm too wide!

You can't win.
Old 06-27-19, 02:33 PM
tpower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
so if the argument was 36 strada bianca 36 TLR vs Panaracer Gravel king slicks 38

Equally good - determine some other way to select:
  • Price
  • Brand Loyalty
  • Availability
  • Looks

Recently was in same boat, looking at Strada Bianca, ended up with 32GK slicks because:
  • They offered a red color
  • I can get them for under $25 ea.
  • I have 38GK SK for more adventurous endeavors
  • Less likely to be blown over by cross wind.
  • Faster? Well they feel faster
Would show pic but am newbie so I can't until I post more, but not more than 5 posts a day...or is it three..anyways.
Likes For tpower: