Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Nuun alternatives?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Nuun alternatives?

Old 06-23-19, 10:14 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Nuun alternatives?

I like Nuun tablets for hydration, but I'm not crazy about the carbonation. Is there anything similarly carb-lite out there that isn't fizzy like Alka-Seltzer?
Old 06-24-19, 12:34 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Skratch labs stuff is good, IMHO. What Nuun tabs are you using that are so fizzy? I realize they the tabs are effervescent, but it strikes me that after 30 minutes, the hydration mix is "still" again...though I leave the valves on my bottles popped open, so maybe the carbonation just escapes. Regardless, check out Skratch, I like it as much as the Nuun.
Old 06-24-19, 01:34 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
DripDrop ORS. Best I've tried. And I've tried many since the early 1970s when I was an amateur boxer, working out in midday summer heat as a teenager getting heat acclimated for the first autumn smokers, which were either outdoors in the heat or indoors non-air conditioned gyms.

DripDrop has just the right balance of electrolytes and sugar to aid rapid absorption of water, so you don't feel bloated. The flavor is very mild. No carbonation or fizzies. No bitter aftertaste. I usually get the lemon and watermelon flavors. The berry is okay, just kinda generic. The watermelon flavor amuses me. Neither the lemon or watermelon really taste juicy, not like Kool Aid, or even as strong as Gatorade or similar mixes. It's a very mild flavor, strictly utilitarian and inoffensive. It's designed as a rescue hydration aid, so they make it palatable for sick kids too.

And it works quickly. I rode four afternoons last week as the temperature was in the 90s, with heat index up to 111F. We don't usually get a gradual transition from cool to hot days, so June is always a challenge to heat adaptation. On Thursday afternoon's ride a buddy started out strong but suddenly faded and dropped hundreds of yards behind. We'd slow, he'd catch up, but we did the accordion thing several times. I stopped to check on him when we reached a spot where deep dried silt made the pavement hard to ride anyway. He was on the verge of heat exhaustion. He had plenty of water but no electrolytes. I mixed a packet of DripDrop in a bottle. He was better within 15 minutes and we finished the ride together.

It's had the same rejuvenating effect on me the past couple of Junes. That's usually my bonk month, when I'll have at least one heat related fade mid-ride, either abdominal cramps or suddenly worn out. I've used all kinds of electrolyte mixes and store-bought stuff, but nothing works better.

NUUN is good but gets sticky in humidity or a sweaty pocket. It's inconvenient to squeeze the whole tube into a small saddle bag. And it's inconvenient to split them up into one or two tablets in separate baggies.

DripDrop comes in single serving Mylar packets -- weatherproof, sweatproof, and they fit anywhere. Even when my small saddlebag seems full, I can still squeeze in a couple of small Mylar packets of DripDrop (or Propel, an adequate alternative but not as good).

It's pricey, at $10 for a box of 8 single serving packets to mix with 8 oz water (I usually mix it with up to 12-16 oz and it works fine). Every few weeks Walgreens discounts it to $8/box of 8, so I stock up. I mostly carry it for emergencies, not for pre-hydration. And it's come in handy several times, for myself and for friends.

For pre-mixes, I mostly use Propel in Mylar packets. It's pretty good for $3/box of 10 packets. But Propel lacks sugar, which is necessary for effective absorption of water, so I add a little sugar or add another drink mix that has sucrose, glucose, dextrose, etc. Propel has a slight bitter aftertaste, but I'm not too picky about that stuff.

Or you can premix your own from various individual components. But carrying it is the tricky bit. That's why single serving Mylar packets are ideal for emergencies and tucking into any available nook and cranny. I've even carried 'em in my socks when I didn't have a saddle bag on a particular bike. (That's also where I tuck my trash from gel packs and snacks -- into a sock or the waistband of my bibs or shorts.)

BTW, a tip I picked up from Dr. Isotope, another bike forums member: freeze the pre-mixed electrolytes. It'll stay chilled longer. On really hot days I'll half-fill my Polar insulated bottle with either DripDrop or Propel, freeze it, then top off with plain water. It'll stay chilled for a couple of hours unless the temp is over 100F.

And I carry a metal double insulated thermos that fits my water bottle cages perfectly. Again, half fill with electrolytes, freeze, and top off with plain water. That frozen electrolyte solution will stay icy for up to 12 hours, even in summer heat. I'll just keep topping up with plain water, which quickly chills.

And for really long, hard rural rides I'll add a Mylar pouch that holds about 12 oz. Again, fill with electrolyte mix, freeze the entire thing, and tuck it into my middle jersey pocket. By the time it thaws enough to drink, I've gone through my Polar bottle. Keeps my back cool too, and weighs practically nothing when empty. Those three containers will usually get me 2/3 of the way through a 50 mile workout route, by which time I've reached civilization again and a convenience store for refills.

BTW, Google around for recipes for homebrewed Haymaker's Punch, posca and other traditional thirst quenchers. They're pretty good too. Same basic concept: salt, a little sugar or honey, often some yeast or fermentation to add B vitamins, etc. Nice change of pace if you're tired of the artificial flavored stuff. I like a fermented tea with a bit of yeast, sodium and potassium from Morton's Lite Salt, honey and sugar, lemon or cider vinegar, etc. Yerba Mate iced tea is good too -- it has a little more caffeine than regular tea, not quite as much as coffee, and tastes a bit like chamomile.

Last edited by canklecat; 06-24-19 at 01:39 AM.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-24-19, 10:04 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
First two bottles on a century are water. Crazy, I know.

Then, 50/50 water/Gatorade dilution.
Old 06-24-19, 10:17 AM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
I like Skratch Labs too, although I run a bit lighter dosage that the recipe. On long rides, I sometimes carry a few Nuun tablets given their convenience.
Old 06-24-19, 10:24 AM
sjh953

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
With my Nuun tablets, I rotate between two 59oz "Simply Lemonade" fruit juice bottles that I keep in the door of my fridge. When I empty one bottle, I add water and two tablets, then move it into the second slot in the rotation for about a week while I finish off the other bottle. By the time I finish that bottle, the one I refilled a week ago is "flat" and not fizzy. When I refill a bottle, I keep the bottle cap on loose to let the fizz escape. What I like about this two-bottle system is that I always have a full bottle available and don't have to deal with waiting for the tables to dissolve just before a ride.

Likes For sjh953:
Old 06-24-19, 10:45 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by sjh953
With my Nuun tablets, I rotate between two 59oz "Simply Lemonade" fruit juice bottles that I keep in the door of my fridge. When I empty one bottle, I add water and two tablets, then move it into the second slot in the rotation for about a week while I finish off the other bottle. By the time I finish that bottle, the one I refilled a week ago is "flat" and not fizzy. When I refill a bottle, I keep the bottle cap on loose to let the fizz escape. What I like about this two-bottle system is that I always have a full bottle available and don't have to deal with waiting for the tables to dissolve just before a ride.

I have 6 bottles in rotation. 3 frozen solid + 3 half filled(and frozen).

I top-off the half filled bottle when I head out, and have cold liquid to drink for 3 hour rides in 100+ degree heat.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 06-24-19, 10:51 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I keep several bottles in rotation too.
Old 06-24-19, 11:21 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I am a nuun user as well. I do the same thing, mix and put in the fridge. After about 48 hours the "fizz" is gone. I reached out to nuun to see if the drink values diminish over time like the fizz. they said if you drink a mixed solution within a week you will still get the benefits. they said the flavor will reduce also but I don't notice that but the fizz is usually gone by the time I drink it.
Old 06-24-19, 11:38 AM
noodle soup

I don't notice any fizz when drinking, but I mix the tabs with a small amount of boiling water, and then add ice/water(and grapefruit juice) to dilute to desired strength. Freezing the mix probably helps too.
Old 06-24-19, 11:44 AM
Seattle Forrest

On the bike I do one bottle Nuun, one bottle water. Nuun on the down tube, be so I know which is which.

Off/after the bike, I use a few vacuum insulated water bottles. I put ice and Nuun in, add cold water. Don't keep them in the fridge and the insulation works too well for that, so I have a pitcher of cold water in the fridge to make Brawndo with.

It seems like after 10 or 20 minutes, the fizz is gone. I've come to like some of the flavors. I got some cheap electrolyte powder that was on sale at the grocery store, it was awful.
Old 06-24-19, 11:59 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
On the bike I do one bottle Nuun, one bottle water. Nuun on the down tube, be so I know which is which.

Off/after the bike, I use a few vacuum insulated water bottles. I put ice and Nuun in, add cold water. Don't keep them in the fridge and the insulation works too well for that, so I have a pitcher of cold water in the fridge to make Brawndo with.

It seems like after 10 or 20 minutes, the fizz is gone. I've come to like some of the flavors. I got some cheap electrolyte powder that was on sale at the grocery store, it was awful.
Brawndo's got electrolytes. It's what plants crave.

Old 06-24-19, 02:26 PM
rousseau

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Thanks very much for the suggestions. I think I might have to try the rotation system with the Nuun tablets if it really works to let the fizz flatten down.
Old 06-24-19, 02:34 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
I use Nuun tablets with room temp. water and don't drink any until about 45 minutes into the ride. I start with a 12oz. glass of water before I leave for my ride. I am a caffeine junkie so I get the kind with caffeine and I don't notice any fizz at all. I do notice that the fatigue level is much better with Nuun as opposed to just plain water . I only ride about 35-40 miles a week so not too hard core . Sometimes I ride a bit more , but usually just keep it as a light ride . I do ride hills a lot so that gets me thirsty and I always finish the bottle of water/Nuun mix. Joe
Old 06-24-19, 02:37 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Brawndo's got electrolytes. It's what plants crave.

https://youtu.be/kIZ9YuPm_Ls
I just call them Brawndo in everyday life, and expect my friends to know what I'm talking about. Every now and then somebody brings a friend and they think it's hilarious.

I could really go for a Starbucks right now.
Old 06-25-19, 03:55 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I started using Hammer's endurolytes. They make it in powder, capsules or tablets. Only the tablets are carbonated.

But Bwando has what plants need.
Old 06-25-19, 04:06 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I could really go for a Starbucks right now.
Whoa buddy this isn't that kind of website!
Old 06-27-19, 09:08 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Saw this comparison chart, NOT ENDORSING ANY ONE ITEM IN PARTICULAR, just thought it is informative.

https://www.cranksports.com/efuel/comparisons/
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 06-27-19, 09:36 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
If you're interested in rehydration and not sugar, I recommend Liquid IV. I find it's very effective in preventing the headache/zombie-fied dehydrated feeling after a big/hot ride.. I drink about 16 oz of it along with a bottle or two of water to rehydrate. You can buy Liquid IV in bulk at Costco.
Old 06-27-19, 10:34 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
This may be a silly question...but how come so many here dont prefer to have calories in their bottle? Are you not taking in anything at all when you ride, or prefer solid food on the bike for some reason?

After trial and error...and thendoing Barry Roubaix and realizing it was a bit impractical to eat and keep up with the group I was in, i went with calories in the bottle. I prefer it, AND its more convenient/safe on the bike.
Likes For Abe_Froman:
Old 06-27-19, 11:00 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
This may be a silly question...but how come so many here dont prefer to have calories in their bottle? Are you not taking in anything at all when you ride, or prefer solid food on the bike for some reason?

After trial and error...and thendoing Barry Roubaix and realizing it was a bit impractical to eat and keep up with the group I was in, i went with calories in the bottle. I prefer it, AND its more convenient/safe on the bike.
Potassium absorption in muscle is under in control by insulin and carbs stimulate insulin release. Without some sugar you'll pee out all those precious cations!
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 06-27-19, 11:18 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by canklecat

NUUN is good but gets sticky in humidity or a sweaty pocket. It's inconvenient to squeeze the whole tube into a small saddle bag. And it's inconvenient to split them up into one or two tablets in separate baggies.
I put Nuun/Hammer Fizz tablets in little bags like these

https://www.amazon.com/ShipGuard-Cou...66DVGJNHYWRNRM
Old 06-27-19, 01:05 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts

I usually do not do calories for rides under two hours, which, unfortunately, is most rides.

I've recently become a convert to calories in the bottle for longer rides, though. It's just as easy to carry a baggie full of powder as it is to carry GU, candy, or whatever, and it certainly is quite convenient on the bike.
Old 06-27-19, 04:24 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts

I do one bottle with just Nuun. That's for the early part of a ride, and may refill by adding another tab or half-tab of Nuun as necessary. The 2nd bottle gets 1/2 strength Gatorade, 1.5 scoops of Maltodextrin powder, and 1/2 tab of Nuun.
Old 06-27-19, 04:41 PM
Seattle Forrest

I don't need calories until about 4 hours. And I'll enjoy real food later, a lot more than I'd enjoy anything you can eat while riding fast.
Likes For Seattle Forrest: